News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bar-b-Q?  ( 59,658 )

Pancho

• Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: Bar-b-Q?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
Yes, the Monster Thickburger. I tried conquer two of them once. I am sad to say, I was bested, but I went down shooting...into the tuhrlet that is.

As far as Naperville, that is where bbq joints go to die. One place on Ogden held like 3 different failed bbq joints. Famous Dave's was on of them. There was also a Red Hot and Blue there, but that's gone too. If you are in that area stick to Uncle Bub's. It's very good, and reasonable. Last time I was there, I got a full slab and a few big sides for like $14. That was a little while ago, so the prices may have changed.
"Not for people who live in Alaska. Or people with night-vision goggles."

bozos72

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 06:00:15 PM »
Working in Downers Grove, we sometimes get Uncle Bub's catered in for lunch.  It is pretty damn good.

Anyone try the new place in Lincoln Square yet?  I think it's called Horseshoe.  There's also a Woody's right there I haven't tried yet.  There used to be one on Southport, I don't know if it's still there or if the one near Lincoln Square is it in a new location.  I'd eaten at the one on Southport many years ago.
Validated Kermit, 6/11/2007

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 11:01:46 PM »
Quote from: bozos72 on March 03, 2006, 06:00:15 PM
Working in Downers Grove, we sometimes get Uncle Bub's catered in for lunch.  It is pretty damn good.

Anyone try the new place in Lincoln Square yet?  I think it's called Horseshoe.  There's also a Woody's right there I haven't tried yet.  There used to be one on Southport, I don't know if it's still there or if the one near Lincoln Square is it in a new location.  I'd eaten at the one on Southport many years ago.

Smokin' Woody's on Lincoln is the same one that used to be on Southport.  They moved from Southport to Lincoln....in 1998.  Way to be up with the times.

In other news, Yum Yum Donuts is gone, all of the Snuggerys are now Alumni Clubs, the Browns Chicken behind the Cubby Bear is now a Taco Bell, and Jane Byrne is no longer mayor of Chicago.

Oh, and Japan surrendered.  The war is over.

CT

• President of the Joe Kmak Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 11:17:23 PM »
Quote from: Huey on March 03, 2006, 11:01:46 PM

Smokin' Woody's on Lincoln is the same one that used to be on Southport.  They moved from Southport to Lincoln....in 1998.  Way to be up with the times.

In other news, Yum Yum Donuts is gone, all of the Snuggerys are now Alumni Clubs, the Browns Chicken behind the Cubby Bear is now a Taco Bell, and Jane Byrne is no longer mayor of Chicago.

Oh, and Japan surrendered.  The war is over.

Did Dewey defeat Truman?
A day job? In an office? My worst nightmare come true!

Chuck

• Alumnus, Class of '85 - T.J. Brown's Powderpuff Posse
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »
Nah.  Dewey's just dealing crack with Huey and Lewy

berserker

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 08:13:09 AM »
Quote from: Chuck on March 04, 2006, 01:51:01 PM
Nah.  Dewey's just dealing crack with Huey and Lewy

Uncle Scrooge is the money behind the whole operation - Donald started turning Daisy out, too

(which brings to mind - anyone ever have BBQ duck breast? Damn fine eating)

Denny Crane

• Just a simple, 'Thank you, oh kind and benevolent leader' will suffice.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:15 AM »
If any of you make it to Oklahoma City you should go to Earl's Rib Palace my favorite BBQ anywhere.
My father, God rest his soul, told me the best sex he ever had was with one-legged women. Something about positional play. I don't know. I've always wondered.

berserker

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »
Quote from: Buford Jong Il on March 06, 2006, 09:56:15 AM
If any of you make it to Oklahoma City you should go to Earl's Rib Palace my favorite BBQ anywhere.

In NYC, Dinosaur BBQ is the best I've found. Best of all, Carl Everett dowsn't believe it exists

Dan

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »
Quote from: berserker on March 06, 2006, 02:23:26 PM

In NYC, Dinosaur BBQ is the best I've found. Best of all, Carl Everett dowsn't believe it exists

That's in my hood baby!
Except for the fact in the Ted Lilly one that you can see the baseball in his hand behind the knife. I don't know about the first one but I'm be very, very surprised if the second picture is an actual ad.

berserker

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 08:55:35 PM »
Quote from: caramis on March 06, 2006, 07:55:03 PM
Quote from: berserker on March 06, 2006, 02:23:26 PM

That's in my hood baby!

Good. That means we have someone nearby who can be stuck with the check.

Denny Crane

• Just a simple, 'Thank you, oh kind and benevolent leader' will suffice.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 07:27:19 AM »
By the way the guy who started Earl's made Bar-B-Q exclusivly for Elvis.
My father, God rest his soul, told me the best sex he ever had was with one-legged women. Something about positional play. I don't know. I've always wondered.

berserker

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 10:55:10 AM »

Went to Merle's in Evanston.

Doesn't deliver the goods.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 10:45:53 AM »

I've been to Smokin Woody's a couple of times. It's hit or miss.  The first time I had it I thought it was great, then the second time I had it (I guess I should explain "it" as being their pulled pork...this is turning into an Ebay commercial - noooooooooooo) it was very disappointing.  A grease soaked bun that you could literally squeeze and have grease pour out like squeezing a water filled sponge isn't my definition of good pulled pork.  They have decent potato salad.

Never tried out the Horseshoe place when I lived there - wish I did.  They claim to be authentic "Texas" BBQ.  Personally I am a fan of the more vinegar based sauces (I think that's a Carolina style, correct me if I am wrong), which is the German in me, I guess.

Speaking of BBQ, anybody here watch Steve Raichlen's BBQ U?  I think that guy's a little odd, but I love the "grill cam"...

... ... is this where I put the "oh how ..."?

berserker

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »

There is no humiliation in expressing your love of grilled/smoked meats, my friend.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I was concerned about the Steve Raichlen reference...