News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 524,605 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #2835 on: November 06, 2016, 07:53:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 06, 2016, 07:51:48 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 06, 2016, 07:50:06 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 06, 2016, 04:17:12 PM
Jason Hammel.

I'm a bit surprised since $10 million isn't crazy for a decent innings-eater like him, but I know they're pretty sold on Montgomery. That, or they're going to finally make the trade for a cost-controlled arm that we've been talking about for two years.

Also frees up cash for a run at keeping Fowler or signing Jansen

Apparently they had other plans, and, knowing that the free agency market is weak on pitching, the Cubs asked Hammel if he wanted to test the market. Hammel did, so they offered the courtesy of declining his option, rather than keeping him with the intent of a trade.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2836 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:36 AM »
Jason Hammel.

Between this and getting into the Hawks game for free, it was a pretty good day for Mike Montgomery.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2837 on: November 07, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 06, 2016, 07:53:55 PM
Jason Hammel.

I'm a bit surprised since $10 million isn't crazy for a decent innings-eater like him, but I know they're pretty sold on Montgomery. That, or they're going to finally make the trade for a cost-controlled arm that we've been talking about for two years.

Apparently they had other plans, and, knowing that the free agency market is weak on pitching, the Cubs asked Hammel if he wanted to test the market. Hammel did, so they offered the courtesy of declining his option, rather than keeping him with the intent of a trade.

Also given Hammel's grousing in the past about Maddon's quick hook, and his (I assume) butthurtedness about being left off the postseason roster, they may not have wanted to risk having an unhappy dude on the roster if they couldn't get good value for him via trade.

I would assume the same is true of Miggy. If after a week or two cooling off period he is still salty about postseason playing time, they may choose to just dump him rather than risking having that lingering resentment in the clubhouse.

I'm basing this on past comments from Theo about what can happen attitude-wise, among both players and coaches/front office, after a title.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2838 on: November 07, 2016, 09:33:56 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 07, 2016, 09:22:55 AM
Jason Hammel.

Also given Hammel's grousing in the past about Maddon's quick hook, and his (I assume) butthurtedness about being left off the postseason roster, they may not have wanted to risk having an unhappy dude on the roster if they couldn't get good value for him via trade.

I would assume the same is true of Miggy. If after a week or two cooling off period he is still salty about postseason playing time, they may choose to just dump him rather than risking having that lingering resentment in the clubhouse.

I'm basing this on past comments from Theo about what can happen attitude-wise, among both players and coaches/front office, after a title.

Miggy kind of bitched about playing time either before the playoffs started or during the San Francisco series, I can't remember.

But I'm thinking the Cubs will cool him down, and he'll be Jake's personal catcher next season while Contreras does the heavy lifting, and Schwarber maybe gets a pitcher to handle.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2839 on: November 07, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 07, 2016, 09:33:56 AM
Quote from: R-V on November 07, 2016, 09:22:55 AM
Jason Hammel.

Miggy kind of bitched about playing time either before the playoffs started or during the San Francisco series, I can't remember.

But I'm thinking the Cubs will cool him down, and he'll be Jake's personal catcher next season while Contreras does the heavy lifting, and Schwarber maybe gets a pitcher to handle.

He was very gracious every time when interviewed during the regular season that I saw. The one time he bitched was when Joe came into the middle of the game in Pittsburgh and pulled Miggy so that Jake could work with Willson some more. Jake bitched, too. I understand players wanting to stay in and win the ballgame while the manager thinks long term, so it didn't bug me. Montero seemed like he wasn't so much upset that he got benched for the WS as he was upset that Maddon apparently didn't tell him until the day of game 2 that he wasn't going to be Jake's catcher in the WS.

Either way the Cubs organization is full of adults and I expect them all to handle this before spring training without giving Miguel his walking papers.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2840 on: November 29, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
Terry Boers (in January)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2841 on: December 02, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »
Me. My company has deemed me expendable. They were the last to know.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2842 on: December 02, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 02, 2016, 10:14:08 PM
Al needs someone to write positive reviews for his book. I'm not sure how well it pays. Probably in bologna sandwiches.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2843 on: December 02, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on December 02, 2016, 10:19:07 PM
Al needs someone to write positive reviews for his book. I'm not sure how well it pays. Probably in bologna sandwiches.

I'M THERE.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2844 on: December 03, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »

That sucks. Especially since nobody hires in December.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2845 on: December 03, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 03, 2016, 08:33:34 AM

Except baseball teams! Time to work on my cutter.

The good news: I'm not a member of any protected class, they said, so they don't have to give me any severance. Which was great to hear!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2846 on: December 03, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 03, 2016, 10:27:48 AM

The good news: I'm not a member of any protected class, they said, so they don't have to give me any severance. Which was great to hear!

Well, if you haven't been shown the door yet, my advice to you is to steal everything that isn't nailed down.

And drink heavily.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2847 on: December 03, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 03, 2016, 04:47:29 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 03, 2016, 10:27:48 AM

Well, if you haven't been shown the door yet, my advice to you is to steal everything that isn't nailed down.

And drink heavily.

Advice from no less than our only site overlord himself. I have no choice but to obey.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2848 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2849 on: December 07, 2016, 01:14:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2016, 01:01:46 PM
Jorge Soler, officially.

Royals fans seem to hate this trade, for whatever that's worth. This might be as good as it was gonna get in any trade for him.