News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer.  ( 55,651 )

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Beer.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »
Quote from: TJ on December 20, 2006, 01:25:35 PM
I enjoy Leinenkugel's and have been enjoying it a lot more since my sister's fiancee is an area rep for Leinies and whenever we get together, he brings beer. That said, he's a Sox fan so maybe it's best to avoid buying Leinie's because we all know that he'll spend his commission on meth anyway.

Seriously, though Leinie's is pretty good, but I also enjoy Goose Island (Honker's, IPA and 312), Fat Tire, Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada.

For foreign drinking, I do like Smithwick's, Warsteiner and Harp -- in that order. Give me a Stella and I won't complain, either.

For industrial drinking (parking lot at Soldier Field, for example), Coor's Light, Miller Lite, MGD, Budweiser, Bud Lite and Bud Select are what's consumed, in that order.

Now, what's everyone's favorite Scotch? Bourbon?

The Famous Grouse/Old Grandad/Fleischmans

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »
Chivas.

Chivy-Chiv in the house, female doges.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

BigDrinky

• Idiot Savant
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 01:30:26 PM »
I like the Guinness when I can find it on tap.  Wednesday nights bring $2.00 cans of Hamms at the bowling alley and I'm all over that.  I think I have issues.

bozos72

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »
Quote from: Apex on December 20, 2006, 01:29:52 PM
Chivas. Over crushed ice.  Followed by a line.

Chivy-Chiv in the house, female doges.

Hunter Thompson'd.
Validated Kermit, 6/11/2007

MDZ

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
Quote from: TJ on December 20, 2006, 01:25:35 PM
Now, what's everyone's favorite Scotch? Bourbon?
Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden's

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 01:38:02 PM »
Big Fan of Woodford Reserve, although I'm not as big a bourbon lover as I'm a Scotch lover. My Scotch of choice is Glenlivet, but Lagavulin is excellent.

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 01:44:28 PM »
Quote from: forkserker on December 20, 2006, 01:25:04 PM
I'll tell you where to get some good domestic. Seattle.

There seems to be a micro brewery every damn block. It's also the home of Starbuck's.

Seattle's good in that regard, but Portland is even better.  They've got more per capita than any other city in the world -- and a lot of them are just outstanding.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »
Quote from: TJ on December 20, 2006, 01:38:02 PM
Big Fan of Woodford Reserve, although I'm not as big a bourbon lover as I'm a Scotch lover. My Scotch of choice is Glenlivet, but Lagavulin is excellent.

If you like Glenlivet, TJ, you might also enjoy Highland Park.  Even their 12-year-old is excellent.

I've got a rather splendid Glenfiddich 21 year old in the drinks cabinet as we speak, as well as a bottle of Glenlivet, a Glenmorangie 12 and a bottle from a wee East Coast distillery called Clynelish.  You can taste the sea.

Aw, man, this makes me want to go home.  Unfortunately we're at the outlaws (in Germany) this Xmas rather than with my folks in Scotland.

Getting back to beer, by the way - Goose Island was probably the best beer I drank in Chicago when I was there.  I seem to remember their "Ryno" was pretty good.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 01:49:10 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 20, 2006, 01:45:55 PM
Quote from: TJ on December 20, 2006, 01:38:02 PM
you might also enjoy Highland Park.

More of a Highwood man, myself.

Bad Kermit

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »
Quote from: TG on December 20, 2006, 12:59:02 PM
Blue Moon, Sierra Nevada, Smithwicks.

Get out of my head.  Those are my favorites, and I'll also add Warsteiner (actually at the top of my list).  Try a few Blue Moons with a shot of Bacardi O, and forget all of your troubles.

I like most of the Leinie's, and I have enjoyed pretty much anything I've had from Goose Island (I was just drinking 312 the other night).

As far as cheapies go, I'm a fan of Honey Brown and Rolling Rock, for some reason.

For light beers, I guess I can deal with Miller and Coors.

For non-Chicago local beers, Yuengling out of Pennsylvania is liquid gold.

Worst Beers:
1.  Hamm's (you lie, Nomar)
2.  Pabst
3.  Old Style (sorry, guys)
4.  Keystone
5.  The Beast
6.  Heineken (I don't care how much you paid for it, I know it was squeezed out of a skunk, damnit)

The Slak

• Former Aardsomologist; Current Cottolingist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 01:55:48 PM »
Woodford Reserve is a damn fine bourbon. DAMN fine.

A well poured Guinness is tough to top, but it's hard to come across. Also, it doesn't have a ton of alcohol in it. But if you drink Guinness Stout in the islands you'll get nice and fucked up. (All the beers are close to 8% down there and it's cheaper than water). Don't go swimming in the ocean afterward. Sea water and Guinness Stout don't mix well in your stomach.

Old Style Man

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »
Anything by Rogue is gonna be damn good, including Dead Guy, Mocha Porter, Double Chocolate, and Red Ale. Great Lakes makes some really good stouts and porters, too. And you can never go wrong with Goose Island Honker's Ale or Anchor Steam, Porter, or Stout. I tend to like micro brews better than imports. They're fresher and just more interesting. And yeah, I drink the shit out of Old Style during Cubs games. It's an ambiance thing.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 01:59:47 PM »
Blue Moon sucks the schmag out of a dead elephant's rotting vagina.

It (and any other wheat beer you can name) tastes like they poured shampoo in it.

And it's for teh gheys. 
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bad Kermit

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »
Quote from: Apex on December 20, 2006, 01:59:47 PM
Blue Moon sucks the schmag out of a dead elephant's rotting vagina.

It (and any other wheat beer you can name) tastes like they poured shampoo in it.

And it's for teh gheys. 

I hear Peanut Tillman LOVES Blue Moon.

Your move.

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 02:05:44 PM »
Lone Star--truly, the goat piss of beers.
Who remembers Black Label? Ugh.
Hamm's? The only cool thing about Hamm's was that they underwrote the cost of Wrigley programs for years. The beer was awful.
Red, White and Blue. Now we're getting to the truly distateful. My god, no man can be that thirsty.

For a good beer, I'll throw in a plug for Kansas City's Boulevard beer, good stuff. For mass market, I'll usually grab a Corona or Sam Adams.
RETIRED