News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 634,475 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3690 on: December 29, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 29, 2016, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 29, 2016, 08:44:06 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 29, 2016, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 29, 2016, 03:29:20 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 29, 2016, 03:11:28 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 29, 2016, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 29, 2016, 01:58:20 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 28, 2016, 02:36:52 PM
Okay youse merry bastards, how am I going to get hold of a copy of WGN's "Twas the Season" review of the Cubs' year?  Because as far as I can make out, it doesn't exist online at all.

Have somebody DVR the January 1 encore presentation (7p-9p CST) and encode the video?

Yes, this.  I feel sure that one of my Chicago friends with whom I have not yet worn out my welcome* will do this for me.

*This list gets shorter every time I come into town.**

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Do you have a DVD player that will play US DVDs? (region 1)  If so, I think I can burn it for you.

As it happens, I do, but any computer will play any DVD from any region anyway, I think.  There surely has to be some way to get a digital copy of this, though, and upload it to (say) Dropbox?

I can (likely) handle transcoding if someone can get me the raw recorded file. Unless WGN encrypts their shit, in which case I'll see what I can do.

The best and easiest way to do this is to use a digital tuner that connects to a computer such as this. All you need is an antenna and the ability to receive a clear over-the-air signal of WGN. Set the recording or hit the button yourself, then let it roll. Most software that works with these tuners will even help you cut out commercials and export the result to an MP4 file.

It gets harder if the recorded file lives on a DVR or if you're using cable that needs a descrambler box since the video might end up in a closed format. Burning to a DVD is a way around that. I can rip it and convert to a digital file. 

I'll still DVR it and convert to MP4 via Handbrake. You'll get to see it.

Being outside the WGN area, I would be interested to partake in something like this.

Yep. This.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3691 on: December 30, 2016, 08:33:52 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 29, 2016, 08:45:38 PM
Okay youse merry bastards, how am I going to get hold of a copy of WGN's "Twas the Season" review of the Cubs' year?  Because as far as I can make out, it doesn't exist online at all.

Have somebody DVR the January 1 encore presentation (7p-9p CST) and encode the video?

Yes, this.  I feel sure that one of my Chicago friends with whom I have not yet worn out my welcome* will do this for me.

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Do you have a DVD player that will play US DVDs? (region 1)  If so, I think I can burn it for you.

As it happens, I do, but any computer will play any DVD from any region anyway, I think.  There surely has to be some way to get a digital copy of this, though, and upload it to (say) Dropbox?

I can (likely) handle transcoding if someone can get me the raw recorded file. Unless WGN encrypts their shit, in which case I'll see what I can do.

The best and easiest way to do this is to use a digital tuner that connects to a computer such as this. All you need is an antenna and the ability to receive a clear over-the-air signal of WGN. Set the recording or hit the button yourself, then let it roll. Most software that works with these tuners will even help you cut out commercials and export the result to an MP4 file.

It gets harder if the recorded file lives on a DVR or if you're using cable that needs a descrambler box since the video might end up in a closed format. Burning to a DVD is a way around that. I can rip it and convert to a digital file. 

Yep. Handbrake is good. I still have MPEG StreamClip too, which seems to no longer be in development. I don't have a DVR, though, so I've never tried HandBrake on whatever format DVRs write to.

I'm going to have to multi-step it as my PC isn't plugged into the TV. DVR to stand alone DVD burner to PC DVD drive to Handbrake. Won't be HD, but you'll get to see it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3692 on: December 30, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 30, 2016, 08:33:52 AM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Yep. Handbrake is good. I still have MPEG StreamClip too, which seems to no longer be in development. I don't have a DVR, though, so I've never tried HandBrake on whatever format DVRs write to.

I'm going to have to multi-step it as my PC isn't plugged into the TV. DVR to stand alone DVD burner to PC DVD drive to Handbrake. Won't be HD, but you'll get to see it.
Why won't it be HD? C'mon, Chuck!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3693 on: December 30, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 30, 2016, 09:59:32 AM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

No HD? Well why don't we just roll around in our own filth. We're no better than the animals.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3694 on: December 30, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 30, 2016, 10:33:51 AM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

No HD? Well why don't we just roll around in our own filth. We're no better than the animals.

After doing a bit of research, I may be able to get an HD transfer on my laptop. It has an HDMI input, so...

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3695 on: December 30, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 30, 2016, 11:25:34 AM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

After doing a bit of research, I may be able to get an HD transfer on my laptop. It has an HDMI input, so...

Chuck has never been more right. Behold, the awesome power of 2016 and tremble in its presence.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3696 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 30, 2016, 11:50:20 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 30, 2016, 11:25:34 AM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Chuck has never been more right. Behold, the awesome power of 2016 and tremble in its presence.

*spit-takes coffee for 30 seconds straight*
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3697 on: January 07, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »
Did this video thing ever happen? If it did, may I please have one and I love you.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3698 on: January 07, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 07, 2017, 03:52:46 PM
Did this video thing ever happen? If it did, may I please have one and I love you.

It's bad. They spend the first hour recapping the season. 45 minutes without commercials. 15 of that on the regular season, the rest on the post. And then another 5-10 minutes are spent with Len, JD and Dan Roan talking/reminiscing in studio.  The second hour is a straight rebroadcast of the rally.

Haven't dumped it from the DVR yet, but haven't bothered to transfer it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3699 on: January 07, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 07, 2017, 10:18:01 PM

It's bad. They spend the first hour recapping the season. 45 minutes without commercials. 15 of that on the regular season, the rest on the post. And then another 5-10 minutes are spent with Len, JD and Dan Roan talking/reminiscing in studio.  The second hour is a straight rebroadcast of the rally.

Agreed.  It was a letdown.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3700 on: January 08, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on January 07, 2017, 10:52:33 PM

Everything is terrible. 2017 sucks.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3701 on: January 08, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on January 07, 2017, 10:52:33 PM

Thirded. I've been holding off on watching my World Series DVD until I was truly desperate for baseball...I thought this special might hold me over but it was totally underwhelming.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3702 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
Not to mention, watching Dan Roan for that long left me craving Franken Berry.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3703 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »
Does anybody remember a Cubs documentary narrated by Harry Caray and Jack Brickhouse?

I was thinking that if you mashed that one with the one narrated by Mike Royko, then added the last ~30 years narrated by Pat Hughes and/or Len Kasper, you'd have something.

ETA: Found it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3704 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
So, what should I do if the other driver (who was determined to be at fault) doesn't appear to have insurance? The information recorded on the accident report was inaccurate (not their insurance) and I'm getting radio silence from the other driver's guardian about the insurance. The other driver was 16, and said to me that his guardian wanted to sort it out with me.