News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 634,889 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3750 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 09, 2017, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 09, 2017, 10:14:28 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 09, 2017, 09:53:53 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 09, 2017, 09:15:57 AM
Quick question for lawyers, and Gil...

Next year Bryce Harper becomes a free agent, he's represented by Boras. Bryant is also represented by Boras.

If Bryant is offered an extension by the Cubs now, but it's less money that what Harper is looking for as a free agent, but Bryant wants to sign...that has an effect on Harper's price going into free agency, right?

If so, how is that not a conflict of interest on Boras' part?

There are factors that we don't know, but I would assume that the contract that Boras has with his clients contains a waiver of this conflict.  He only has to make a disclosure of the potential conflict and get an informed, knowing waiver.

OK, now for a follow up...if Boras refuses to have his clients sign with a team or teams regardless of the offers presented, can that be construed as collusion?

Wait for Stew for the real answer. He's experienced in labor from what I remember. I'm just a litigator.

With that caveat, I don't know how you would ever prove that Boras "refused" to have his clients sign with a certain team. I also have a hard time believing any major league player would tolerate his agent dictating where he can and cannot sign. That's when you get a new agent. Everything I've ever read about Boras is that his loyalty lies with his clients, and their desires have always won out over his own preferences. I don't have firsthand knowledge, but I don't think he's the kind to hurt one contract to get a better one for someone else. Can't stay in business pulling stuff like that.

And collusion by and between whom? MLB? A team? Individual players?
I don't know why it took me so long to re-open this thread, but here is my two cents.   This is not so much a labor question as it is a restraint of trade question.  Labor unions generally get a pass over this, unless they under the employer's control, and interfere with a competitor's business on behalf of and employer. Then it is a Taft-Hartley violation.  But there are a lot of exemptions applied to the business of baseball because it is the "national game", unlike football.  Speaking of football and restraint of trade,  owners getting together at the draft and deciding a young man's future to the point where the draftee's only options are to sign with the club that drafted him, play in Canada or not at all is about as restraining as Simon LeGree tying Little Nell to the railroad tracks.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3751 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
On another issue...are there any bird people out there?  I have pet canary that went through a late molt starting in October.  After about six weeks he is finally over it.  He is only about a year old and is a great singer.  But of course he stopped singing during the molt and shows no sign that he intends to start again.  I know that Fork is going to suggest that his cats, Fred and Ginger could solve my problem, but I don't think that Pablo, my canary would like that solution.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3752 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 30, 2017, 08:35:36 PM
On another issue...are there any bird people out there?  I have pet canary that went through a late molt starting in October.  After about six weeks he is finally over it.  He is only about a year old and is a great singer.  But of course he stopped singing during the molt and shows no sign that he intends to start again.  I know that Fork is going to suggest that his cats, Fred and Ginger could solve my problem, but I don't think that Pablo, my canary would like that solution.

What say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3753 on: December 01, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 30, 2017, 09:58:57 PM

Speaking of bird law, Pablo may be reacting to his imprisonment without due process.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3754 on: December 01, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 01, 2017, 01:04:13 PM

Speaking of bird law, Pablo may be reacting to his imprisonment without due process.
I expect to see a writ of habeas corpus any day now.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3755 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
I've got a pair for 12/17 Hawks/Wild that I can't use. $154 takes them home.

Anybody interested?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3756 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 04, 2017, 09:03:32 AM

Anybody interested?

If you haven't got rid of them a couple of days before the game, let me know.  I've got some pocket lint, buttons, and slightly-used chewing gum you can have for them.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3757 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 06, 2017, 10:18:17 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 04, 2017, 09:03:32 AM

Anybody interested?

If you haven't got rid of them a couple of days before the game, let me know.  I've got some pocket lint, buttons, and slightly-used chewing gum you can have for them.

Pocket lint, buttons, and slightly-used chewing gum is the makeup of the Hawks' third line.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3758 on: April 13, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
Looking into a streaming TV option like Youtube TV or Direct TV Now. Does anybody use these? It looks like CSN and local ABC affiliate are included, so I assume I'd get those Cubs games - is the local WGN feed (not the crappy WGN America) thing included in any of these so I could get those games?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3759 on: April 13, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 01, 2017, 01:06:21 PM

Update:  Pablo the canary started singing shortly after I posted above.  At this point he is singing non-stop and very loudly about 12 hours a day.  Male canaries sing to attract mates.  Pablo is a horny s.o.b.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3760 on: April 13, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 13, 2018, 12:14:00 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 01, 2017, 01:06:21 PM

Update:  Pablo the canary started singing shortly after I posted above.  At this point he is singing non-stop and very loudly about 12 hours a day.  Male canaries sing to attract mates.  Pablo is a horny s.o.b.

Bet your lawfim mates are thrilled.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3761 on: April 14, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 13, 2018, 11:14:47 AM
Looking into a streaming TV option like Youtube TV or Direct TV Now. Does anybody use these? It looks like CSN and local ABC affiliate are included, so I assume I'd get those Cubs games - is the local WGN feed (not the crappy WGN America) thing included in any of these so I could get those games?
I used PS Vue for a summer. My main complaint: navigating was sluggish in general. I had 75mb internet so that wasn't the issue. Switching from one channel to the next took longer than necessary... and then I switched to X1 (Xfinity) and I don't care how much that costs. It's infinitely better than the internet TV options. I'd love to do internet TV, in theory, but until they can make it rival the X1 system, I don't think I'll be going back.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3762 on: May 03, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »
I need a notary who personally knows me. I have a friend with no ID other than an expired passport, and probably a birth certificate, whose father just died (I'm taking care of her cats), perhaps intestate. Anyway, there are predictable consequences. Probably next week. This place is overflowing with notaries public last I checked.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3763 on: May 04, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 03, 2018, 04:34:47 PM
I need a notary who personally knows me. I have a friend with no ID other than an expired passport, and probably a birth certificate, whose father just died (I'm taking care of her cats), perhaps intestate. Anyway, there are predictable consequences. Probably next week. This place is overflowing with notaries public last I checked.

Sorry Wheez, I let mine lapse last year. Anybody else?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3764 on: May 04, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 04, 2018, 10:04:37 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 03, 2018, 04:34:47 PM

Sorry Wheez, I let mine lapse last year. Anybody else?

She wants me to apply to be a notary at her expense, which I'm finding to be a head-scratcher vis-à-vis just getting an expedited passport. Where the fuck is Dubbs? I'll cop to losing all the arm-wrestling bouts if he'll step up.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!