News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 549,239 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2790 on: June 30, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
I was at one game (Huard, help me out here), where I swear Andre had three assists in the same inning.

I also remember one of his first games as a Cub where he went 5-5 and threw out a batter 9-3.

Jesus, Andre Dawson was fucking incredible.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2791 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:05 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 30, 2016, 10:21:50 AM
I was at one game (Huard, help me out here), where I swear Andre had three assists in the same inning.

I also remember one of his first games as a Cub where he went 5-5 and threw out a batter 9-3.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-live/silver-anniversary-andre-dawsons-greatest-game/
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2792 on: June 30, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »

Chuck D. or someone of his ilk would need to sort through the bb-ref data for that first game, because my memory is coming up with the snake eyes.

Definitely remember the 5-for-5 game vs. SF wherein he also hit for the cycle and threw out the opposing pitcher 9-3.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2793 on: June 30, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 30, 2016, 10:51:49 AM

Chuck D. or someone of his ilk would need to sort through the bb-ref data for that first game, because my memory is coming up with the snake eyes.

Definitely remember the 5-for-5 game vs. SF wherein he also hit for the cycle and threw out the opposing pitcher 9-3.

2 in the first inning here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198906250.shtml#play_by_play::none
2 in the 6th here, both at Home: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN199209130.shtml

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2794 on: August 11, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
Last night Edwin Jackson beat the Pirates, throwing 7 innings of 2 hit shutout ball.

Don't think the Pirates need to sweat the Wild Card game this season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2795 on: August 18, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
Kirk Nudeinhorse.

.353 average with 5 HRs in 34 ABs vs the Cubs this year
.199 average with 6 HRs in 241 ABs vs everybody else

Fuck this guy.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2796 on: August 18, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 18, 2016, 04:57:14 PM
Kirk Nudeinhorse.

Fuck this guy.

He's the modern day Ty Wigginton.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2797 on: August 18, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on August 18, 2016, 07:07:38 PM
Kirk Nudeinhorse.

Fuck this guy.

Validated.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2798 on: August 18, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 07:17:53 PM
Kirk Nudeinhorse.

Fuck this guy.

Validated.

This was like 5 hours ago in the Slack

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2799 on: August 18, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 18, 2016, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 07:17:53 PM
Kirk Nudeinhorse.

Fuck this guy.

Validated.

This was like 5 hours ago in the Slack

Get a load of the hipster here who knew the joke early.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2800 on: November 30, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
So the Pirates are trading McCutchen and are apparently already waving the white flag for 2017:

QuoteConsidering McCutchen's salary will be $14 million in 2017, a season which some in the Pirates organization privately concede will likely be a second straight without a postseason berth, and it seems certain that the 30-year-old could be dealt as soon next week during the Winter Meetings at National Harbor, Md.

So the Cubs could be in a division with three rebuilding teams next year. Not a bad way to start the title defense. Also Pirates fans are about the only fanbase that should be more angry than White Sox fans at a management that could easily keep the window of contention open with a few modest free agent signings and are opting to just punt a year or more instead.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2801 on: November 30, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 30, 2016, 03:22:51 PM
So the Pirates are trading McCutchen and are apparently already waving the white flag for 2017:

QuoteConsidering McCutchen's salary will be $14 million in 2017, a season which some in the Pirates organization privately concede will likely be a second straight without a postseason berth, and it seems certain that the 30-year-old could be dealt as soon next week during the Winter Meetings at National Harbor, Md.

So the Cubs could be in a division with three rebuilding teams next year. Not a bad way to start the title defense. Also Pirates fans are about the only fanbase that should be more angry than White Sox fans at a management that could easily keep the window of contention open with a few modest free agent signings and are opting to just punt a year or more instead.

Acknowledging the current OF logjam, I'm at least curious that the cost would be for McCutcheon. He's coming off a really down year, but his contract is very reasonable. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2802 on: November 30, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 30, 2016, 03:53:48 PM

Acknowledging the current OF logjam, I'm at least curious that the cost would be for McCutcheon. He's coming off a really down year, but his contract is very reasonable. 

I really doubt they'd ever trade him within the division, and he was legitimately one of the worst defensive CF in baseball last year. 1 year sample size defensive metrics are always to be taken with a big ass grain of salt but he's been trending downward for a long time there, and if his bat is gonna be merely pretty good and not elite he's not an upgrade over what the Cubs have in the corners anyway.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2803 on: November 30, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 30, 2016, 04:00:13 PM

I really doubt they'd ever trade him within the division, and he was legitimately one of the worst defensive CF in baseball last year. 1 year sample size defensive metrics are always to be taken with a big ass grain of salt but he's been trending downward for a long time there, and if his bat is gonna be merely pretty good and not elite he's not an upgrade over what the Cubs have in the corners anyway.

I'm not sure I buy that they'll be tanking on purpose.  They can't compete with a healthy Cubs team anyway but if they can get some major league ready players back (say Gallo and Profar from Texas, to start), they may do all right.

They need Cole to be healthy.
They'll get Taillon and Glasnow for a full season under the eye of Searge.
Polanco and Marte are awesome.
They'll have a full season of Josh Bell.

They probably need a starter or two (so maybe the Rangers aren't a perfect fit) but they may end up competing for a wild card anyway.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2804 on: November 30, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 30, 2016, 05:14:31 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 30, 2016, 04:00:13 PM

I'm not sure I buy that they'll be tanking on purpose.  They can't compete with a healthy Cubs team anyway but if they can get some major league ready players back (say Gallo and Profar from Texas, to start), they may do all right.

They need Cole to be healthy.
They'll get Taillon and Glasnow for a full season under the eye of Searge.
Polanco and Marte are awesome.
They'll have a full season of Josh Bell.

They probably need a starter or two (so maybe the Rangers aren't a perfect fit) but they may end up competing for a wild card anyway.

Yeah I doubt they'll go full tank but they aren't adding to last year's team and they are trading away Cutch. Basically everything would have to go right and they'd have to get by without any major injuries because they seem unlikely to add at the deadline if they're in the hunt. My guess is another 79 win season