News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 548,987 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2910 on: March 21, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »
I gotta be honest I really don't get the Brewers giving that contract to Lorenzo Cain just to sit pat and not sign any of the three starters (Lynn, Arrieta, Cobb) who signed perfectly reasonable deals. Shit they could have added all three and ranked 16th in payroll, 60 million below the tax.

Their current projected rotation:
Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

Anderson is coming off a career year that blew anything he'd ever done on any level out of the water, Davies is average at best and probably over-achieved to get to a 3.90 ERA last year (had a 4.22 FIP). Chacin is mediocre, Suter is a lefty who throws 85 and nobody is sure how long he can be effective doing that. Miley is a dumpster fire. Jimmy Nelson had a career year than tore his labrum, an injury that has destroyed countless pitchers, and while he may be back by July there's no telling if he'd have done what he did last year again even if he was healthy, let alone after nearly a year off with a shoulder injury.

I guess I could see them sitting tight and trying to build internally with their prospects and stuff if they hadn't gone and committed 80 million to a 31 year old CF. Really weird to potentially waste Cain's best years by not solidifying the rotation when they had a chance.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2911 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 21, 2018, 07:30:43 AM
I gotta be honest I really don't get the Brewers giving that contract to Lorenzo Cain just to sit pat and not sign any of the three starters (Lynn, Arrieta, Cobb) who signed perfectly reasonable deals. Shit they could have added all three and ranked 16th in payroll, 60 million below the tax.

Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

Anderson is coming off a career year that blew anything he'd ever done on any level out of the water, Davies is average at best and probably over-achieved to get to a 3.90 ERA last year (had a 4.22 FIP). Chacin is mediocre, Suter is a lefty who throws 85 and nobody is sure how long he can be effective doing that. Miley is a dumpster fire. Jimmy Nelson had a career year than tore his labrum, an injury that has destroyed countless pitchers, and while he may be back by July there's no telling if he'd have done what he did last year again even if he was healthy, let alone after nearly a year off with a shoulder injury.

I guess I could see them sitting tight and trying to build internally with their prospects and stuff if they hadn't gone and committed 80 million to a 31 year old CF. Really weird to potentially waste Cain's best years by not solidifying the rotation when they had a chance.

I, for one, am completely fine with every team in the NL Central that isn't the Chicago Cubs not having their shit together.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2912 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on March 21, 2018, 08:34:37 AM

Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

I, for one, am completely fine with every team in the NL Central that isn't the Chicago Cubs not having their shit together.

Oh I have no issue with them being cheapskates, it's just really hard to figure out why they half-assed it in the perfect offseason to, like, three-quarter ass it and land a bunch of good players.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2913 on: March 21, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 21, 2018, 11:11:17 AM

Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

Oh I have no issue with them being cheapskates, it's just really hard to figure out why they half-assed it in the perfect offseason to, like, three-quarter ass it and land a bunch of good players.

Rhymes with "Schmollusion"?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2914 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »

Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

I can't wait to see Captain Valtrex play first base.  He was literally the worst defensive third baseman in baseball history.  But I'm sure he'll be just fine at the other corner.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2915 on: March 22, 2018, 05:53:36 AM »
Quote from: Andy on March 21, 2018, 09:10:12 PM

Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

I can't wait to see Captain Valtrex play first base.  He was literally the worst defensive third baseman in baseball history.  But I'm sure he'll be just fine at the other corner.

I kind of forgot how hilariously terrible third baseman Ryan Braun was. His rookie year he had a 155 wRC+ and 34 bombs in only 113 games and he was still only worth 2.5 wins, which is about a 3.3 fWAR pace for season of 150 games. Last year players with 150 or better wRC+ were worth an average of 6.6 fWAR. To be 50% better than league average as a hitter and not even sniff a 5 or 6 win season requires some blindingly awful defense.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2916 on: March 22, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »
Quote from: Andy on March 21, 2018, 09:10:12 PM

Chase Anderson
Zach Davies
Jhoulys Chacin
Brent Suter
Wade Miley

I've gotten to see Dick Stuart, McStiff, Frank Howard, Jasons Giambi and Thomson, The Big Hurt, Mo Vaughn, Larry Biittner...

But Braun is going to be something special. I hope the netting in Miller Park goes to the RF foul pole.
TIME TO POST!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2917 on: April 10, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
How about the Brewers' press?
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2918 on: April 10, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on April 10, 2018, 01:45:07 PM
How about the Brewers' press?

That's an old 32. Dude looks 32 going on 50.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2919 on: April 19, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
Bryan Price was fired by the Reds, replaced by Jim Riggleman.

The Reds are also proof that sucking for a number of years in a row does not guarantee future success.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2920 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on April 19, 2018, 08:41:06 AM
Bryan Price was fired by the Reds, replaced by Jim Riggleman.

The Reds are also proof that sucking for a number of years in a row does not guarantee future success.

Their lineup has been good enough to contend with the entire time, they just can't grow pitching for shit, which I think is going to be the problem with a lot of these rebuilds, and it's the same problem the Cubs ran into. "Just develop hitters, then trade for pitching" is a sound theory unless 15 other clubs are doing it and pretty soon no one has any pitching surplus they're willing to trade. The Cubs managed to get around the issue by throwing dump trucks of money at Lester, Darvish, Lackey, etc. Teams that aren't willing to pay for pitching are fucked.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2921 on: July 18, 2018, 07:44:47 AM »
So...Josh Hader, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2922 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 18, 2018, 07:44:47 AM
So...Josh Hader, huh?

I hope Thames and Aguilar each take an arm and leg and pull him like a wishbone.
TIME TO POST!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2923 on: July 18, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 18, 2018, 07:59:09 AM
So...Josh Hader, huh?

I hope Thames and Aguilar each take an arm and leg and pull him like a wishbone.

I assume that the family name has been deliberately misspelled for the sake of appearances, and that somewhere they replaced the "t" with an "d".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2924 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 18, 2018, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 18, 2018, 07:59:09 AM
So...Josh Hader, huh?

I assume that the family name has been deliberately misspelled for the sake of appearances, and that somewhere they replaced the "t" with an "d".

I think his family has their own feelings on young Josh's actions, and they ain't good.
TIME TO POST!