News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Infinite Death  ( 16,552 )

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Infinite Death
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Pre on September 18, 2008, 01:53:14 PM

As a partial aside: If you enjoyed Infinite Jest, then I'd highly recommend House of Leaves

It's no replacement for DFW, but if I were to give it a bad one sentence pitch that would be given in a Red Eye equivalent of a literary magazine I'd say it would be like IJ and Foucault's Pendulum had a love child. 

I prefer the potty-training book, House of Leavings.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
I'd argue House Of Leaves is, like most things, more intense at night.  I felt like I was a necessary part of the book.  Maybe it was just where I was mentally when I read it.

I've got a used copy of Mason & Dixon in the backseat of my car I've been meaning to read for about a year now.  I've never read any Pynchon but I've only ever heard good things.  I'll have to bump it up the reading list.  I'm so far behind these days it's sad.  I thought I'd read more as I got older.

I've been reading Ecco's newish "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" and enjoying it.  On one hand he's a genius and easy to recommend, but on the other side his books can be a bit of a chore to finish.

I think it's interesting you read authors in order, do you think it adds a lot?  I normally read them in whatever order I stumble across them at the used book store, unless it's someone I love and actually buy new.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
Quote from: Pre on September 18, 2008, 03:53:52 PM

I'd argue House Of Leaves is, like most things, more intense at night.  I felt like I was a necessary part of book.  Maybe it was just where I was mentally when I read it.

I've got a used copy of Mason & Dixon in the backseat of my car I've been meaning to read for about a year now.  I've never read any Pynchon but I've only ever heard good things.  I'll have to bump it up the reading list.  I'm so far behind these days it's sad.  I thought I'd read more as I got older.

I've been reading Ecco's newish "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" and enjoying it.  On one hand he's a genius and easy to recommend, but on the other side his books can be a bit of a chore to finish.

I think it's interesting you read authors in order, do you think it adds a lot?  I normally read them in whatever order I stumble across them at the used book store, unless it's someone I love and actually buy new.

I got about halfway through and got sidetracked. It's still on my shelf with a bookmark in it from 2 years ago. I liked it, but I probably would have to start over at this point.

I would honestly start with Crying of Lot 49, then move to Gravity's Rainbow. It's a TOUGH read, but it's ultimately very rewarding.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »
I'd argue House Of Leaves is, like most things, more intense at night.  I felt like I was a necessary part of the book.  Maybe it was just where I was mentally when I read it.

I usually don't, just with Pynchon. I had been wanting to get into him for a long time and I figured I'd start with his first full novel.
Quote from: Jon on September 18, 2008, 04:18:49 PM

I'd argue House Of Leaves is, like most things, more intense at night.  I felt like I was a necessary part of book.  Maybe it was just where I was mentally when I read it.

I got about halfway through and got sidetracked. It's still on my shelf with a bookmark in it from 2 years ago. I liked it, but I probably would have to start over at this point.

I would honestly start with Crying of Lot 49, then move to Gravity's Rainbow. It's a TOUGH read, but it's ultimately very rewarding.

Gravity's Rainbow is a really, really tough read. I mean it's fucking out there like you wouldn't believe. The constant theme of all his books seems to be paranoia and not only are his characters paranoid, you get paranoid because you're not sure what reality or alternate reality the narrative is taking place. For example: talking light bulbs.

Anyway, check out Crying for sure. It won't take you forever and if you like the stuff we've already talked about I have no doubt you'll think that book is super fucking cool.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on September 18, 2008, 05:03:44 PM
The constant theme of all his books seems to be paranoia and not only are his characters paranoid, you get paranoid because you're not sure what reality or alternate reality the narrative is taking place. For example: talking light bulbs.

This.

And the transition from rational narrative to "what the hell is going on" is seamless in a lot of passages. Gravity's Rainbow is secretly about 500 pages longer than it looks because you end up going back and rereading the last page or so to figure out what you must have missed.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
Quote from: Jon on September 18, 2008, 06:40:04 PM
Quote from: 5laky on September 18, 2008, 05:03:44 PM
The constant theme of all his books seems to be paranoia and not only are his characters paranoid, you get paranoid because you're not sure what reality or alternate reality the narrative is taking place. For example: talking light bulbs.

This.

And the transition from rational narrative to "what the hell is going on" is seamless in a lot of passages. Gravity's Rainbow is secretly about 500 pages longer than it looks because you end up going back and rereading the last page or so to figure out what you must have missed.

The best part is that the paranoia he instills in the reader is completely intentional. I remember reading the first 20 or 30 pages and thinking, "OK, so far I think I have a pretty good idea of what is going on here." And that went straight to hell immediately after the mention of Slothrop's memories circa 1944 and Blicero's disgusting exploits.

And that's where it gets fun.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »
I know not everyone likes him (understatement alert!), but Bill Simmons wrapped-up his weekly column with:

One last thing ...

RIP, DFW. I wish you way more than luck.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 04:42:37 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 19, 2008, 04:19:46 PM
I know not everyone likes him (understatement alert!), but Bill Simmons wrapped-up his weekly column with:

One last thing ...

Thanks for alerting me about the understatement AFTER I already read it.  Dick.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on September 19, 2008, 04:42:37 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on September 19, 2008, 04:19:46 PM

One last thing ...

Thanks for alerting me about the understatement AFTER I already read it.  Dick.

Pen is the worst person on earth (hyperbole alert).

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »

Well worth the read if you were fond of DFW:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/03/09/090309fa_fact_max

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on September 13, 2008, 11:04:09 PM
I realize not a lot of people read this guy (maybe they did) but I really was hoping for a new novel at some point. Crappy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080914/ap_en_ot/obit_wallace

He was working on one but decided to suspend the project this week.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on September 14, 2008, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: Jon on September 14, 2008, 10:00:31 AM
Yeah, I just read that. I've never read him, but I've been told to more than once.

If you ever were so inclined, pick up Infinite Jest and give it a shot.

I know this isn't the Book Club thread, but I just picked this up.
I'll get back to you in 2014 when I finish it.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 22, 2009, 04:35:37 PM
Yeah, I just read that. I've never read him, but I've been told to more than once.

That's nothing.  I'm 570 pages into "War and Peace" and I'm still not halfway done.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »

I'm almost 300 pages in, and it's an awesome book. The first 100-150 pages are a little tough/confusing, but stick with it. Definitely worth it once you start to figure out the characters. Our timing is great, because some bookfaggots who are smarter than us are blogging about it this summer:

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »
Quote from: RV on June 22, 2009, 08:53:08 PM

I'm almost 300 pages in, and it's an awesome book. The first 100-150 pages are a little tough/confusing, but stick with it. Definitely worth it once you start to figure out the characters. Our timing is great, because some bookfaggots who are smarter than us are blogging about it this summer:

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215

Goddamn it. I read this alone with no support and had to convince the one dude that I knew who would, to read it. He did, but after I had finished.

Anyway, my advice is to use a pen when you read it and mark the words you have never heard before. Also, don't skip the footnotes. You're not reading it to get it over with, you want the full experience. I usually would make a note in the margin where the footnotes were so I could go back after every break to see what they said. Some are one sentence or less, some are multiple pages.

Maybe when you guys finish we can talk about your favorite parts? Pretty please?