News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Incredibly, unbelievably, the first Carlos Zambrano sploooooooge thread  ( 53,261 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Incredibly, unbelievably, the first Carlos Zambrano sploooooooge thread
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
Bumped for 8 scoreless innings, 10 K's, 1 BB, and 3 hits.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 18, 2011, 09:34:56 PM
Bumped for 8 scoreless innings, 10 K's, 1 BB, and 3 hits.

I like the cut of your jib, kid. Keep up the positive.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »
All Z's haters can go suck a dick and die.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
Where will Z end up? I've heard nothing regarding him. He's got to be cheap, and at 32, he could be a steal for someone.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 03, 2013, 09:37:12 PM
Where will Z end up?

In a Cuban hospital.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: January 04, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 03, 2013, 10:00:01 PM
Quote from: Brownie on January 03, 2013, 09:37:12 PM
Where will Z end up?

In a Cuban hospital.

Ok, I'm doubling your whiskey and communion wafer rations this week for a job well done.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on September 14, 2008, 11:16:15 PM
Quote"It was a long travel day and Hurricane Ike," Astros manager Cecil Cooper said. "That's what I put it on. That and having two days off. I'm not saying he wasn't good."

Cecil, you classy bastard!

I couldn't find more on the Astros complaining about going to Miller Park 9 years ago, but something struck me as familiar as I watched the highlights of the Rangers-Astros:

Texas wore their home uniforms and used the home dugout at Tropicana Field and the Astros wore the road uniforms and used the visitors dugout.

Sounded familiar:

QuoteCecil Cooper, the manager of the Astros, talked to Bud Selig about the situation, expressing his unhappiness that the series had to be played in Milwaukee. "I told him how frustrated I was at the situation", he told mlb.com.

The manager wasn't alone in his frustration. The players were obviously dissatisfied, wearing their road jerseys and using the visitor's clubhouse at Miller Park in a protest that no one would acknowledge. They claimed it was a matter of convenience. I bet.

There were more than just non-verbal statements about the team's sentiment. The players made it perfectly clear in media interviews.

"I can't believe our home fans would cheer that lustfully for the Cubs", Lance Berkman quipped. "I said 'wait a minute. Why are our fans cheering for the Cubs?'"

From yesterday:

QuoteST. PETERSBURG -- Very little about the surroundings on Tuesday night suggested that the Astros were the home team in the opener of their three-game set against the Rangers, a 12-2 loss to Texas. From the backdrop of Tropicana Field to their place in the third-base dugout, it felt like any other road trip to Central Florida.

Even the uniforms insinuated their role as that of visitors.

The Astros sported their road grey uniform pants and a dark blue alternative jersey typically reserved for home Sunday games. Why the unorthodox look? Frankly, they had no other choice.

"It's all we had with us," manager A.J. Hinch said.

The Astros had been on a brief, three-day road trip for a series against the Angels, one which took place during Players Weekend. That meant bringing nothing more than the special jerseys worn over the weekend, plus the alternate tops that are sometimes worn by players and coaches during batting practice or bullpen sessions.

"We literally had three days; I took a carry-on," Hinch said. "We basically flew in pajamas for the red-eye flight we took to Anaheim, had the three games and then we flew back. It was a red-eye flight and we were sort of mocking the red-eye flight, so they don't even have the one extra set of clothes you normally would have had on a flight."

Hinch said that once the Houston airport reopens, the team might have its regular home uniforms shipped to them in St. Petersburg for the remainder of their time playing at Tropicana Field.

The Astros also chose to set up camp in the visiting clubhouse despite their stature as the home team, choosing the familiar -- they love the clubhouse staff and are accustomed to the surroundings from their annual trips to play the Rays -- over the more spacious digs of the home side.

Surrre, they love the staff, etc. The team has totally changed: all the players have changed, the leagues have changed, the nemeses have changed, the neutral site has changed, even their red-ass Lance has changed (Berkman to McCullers, Jr.). But they're still the Houston Assholes.

And yes, the Traveling Secretary deserves to be fired for not insisting the team bring extra luggage on the road trip Thursday night with a hurricane bearing down.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 30, 2017, 05:36:45 PM
Quote"It was a long travel day and Hurricane Ike," Astros manager Cecil Cooper said. "That's what I put it on. That and having two days off. I'm not saying he wasn't good."

I couldn't find more on the Astros complaining about going to Miller Park 9 years ago, but something struck me as familiar as I watched the highlights of the Rangers-Astros:

Texas wore their home uniforms and used the home dugout at Tropicana Field and the Astros wore the road uniforms and used the visitors dugout.

Sounded familiar:

QuoteCecil Cooper, the manager of the Astros, talked to Bud Selig about the situation, expressing his unhappiness that the series had to be played in Milwaukee. “I told him how frustrated I was at the situation”, he told mlb.com.

The manager wasn’t alone in his frustration. The players were obviously dissatisfied, wearing their road jerseys and using the visitor’s clubhouse at Miller Park in a protest that no one would acknowledge. They claimed it was a matter of convenience. I bet.

There were more than just non-verbal statements about the team’s sentiment. The players made it perfectly clear in media interviews.

“I can’t believe our home fans would cheer that lustfully for the Cubs”, Lance Berkman quipped. “I said ‘wait a minute. Why are our fans cheering for the Cubs?’”

From yesterday:

QuoteST. PETERSBURG -- Very little about the surroundings on Tuesday night suggested that the Astros were the home team in the opener of their three-game set against the Rangers, a 12-2 loss to Texas. From the backdrop of Tropicana Field to their place in the third-base dugout, it felt like any other road trip to Central Florida.

The Astros sported their road grey uniform pants and a dark blue alternative jersey typically reserved for home Sunday games. Why the unorthodox look? Frankly, they had no other choice.

The Astros had been on a brief, three-day road trip for a series against the Angels, one which took place during Players Weekend. That meant bringing nothing more than the special jerseys worn over the weekend, plus the alternate tops that are sometimes worn by players and coaches during batting practice or bullpen sessions.

"We literally had three days; I took a carry-on," Hinch said. "We basically flew in pajamas for the red-eye flight we took to Anaheim, had the three games and then we flew back. It was a red-eye flight and we were sort of mocking the red-eye flight, so they don't even have the one extra set of clothes you normally would have had on a flight."

Hinch said that once the Houston airport reopens, the team might have its regular home uniforms shipped to them in St. Petersburg for the remainder of their time playing at Tropicana Field.

The Astros also chose to set up camp in the visiting clubhouse despite their stature as the home team, choosing the familiar -- they love the clubhouse staff and are accustomed to the surroundings from their annual trips to play the Rays -- over the more spacious digs of the home side.

Surrre, they love the staff, etc. The team has totally changed: all the players have changed, the leagues have changed, the nemeses have changed, the neutral site has changed, even their red-ass Lance has changed (Berkman to McCullers, Jr.). But they're still the Houston Assholes.

And yes, the Traveling Secretary deserves to be fired for not insisting the team bring extra luggage on the road trip Thursday night with a hurricane bearing down.

It also frosts me that the Rangers are getting shit on for not bending to the Astros' whim and switching home series, which would have screwed no one but their own fans. The Rangers offered to host the series, play as the road team, give the Astros 100% of the proceeds, and coordinate a hurricane relief fundraising effort. The games could have stayed in Texas. Instead of reaching a great compromise for all involved the Astros bitched about not getting their way and sites like Deadspin dutifully took up the task of crapping on the Rangers for it.

Joe Sheehan also had a great analysis of this situation in his newsletter. Anyone who wants to see it, ask, and I'll post it.

In conclusion, fuck the Astros. I am now rooting for the Cubs to sweep their dumb asses in the World Series.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 30, 2017, 07:23:21 PM

Sounded familiar:

QuoteCecil Cooper, the manager of the Astros, talked to Bud Selig about the situation, expressing his unhappiness that the series had to be played in Milwaukee. "I told him how frustrated I was at the situation", he told mlb.com.

The manager wasn't alone in his frustration. The players were obviously dissatisfied, wearing their road jerseys and using the visitor's clubhouse at Miller Park in a protest that no one would acknowledge. They claimed it was a matter of convenience. I bet.

There were more than just non-verbal statements about the team's sentiment. The players made it perfectly clear in media interviews.

"I can't believe our home fans would cheer that lustfully for the Cubs", Lance Berkman quipped. "I said 'wait a minute. Why are our fans cheering for the Cubs?'"

From yesterday:

It also frosts me that the Rangers are getting shit on for not bending to the Astros' whim and switching home series, which would have screwed no one but their own fans. The Rangers offered to host the series, play as the road team, give the Astros 100% of the proceeds, and coordinate a hurricane relief fundraising effort. The games could have stayed in Texas. Instead of reaching a great compromise for all involved the Astros bitched about not getting their way and sites like Deadspin dutifully took up the task of crapping on the Rangers for it.

Joe Sheehan also had a great analysis of this situation in his newsletter. Anyone who wants to see it, ask, and I'll post it.

In conclusion, fuck the Astros. I am now rooting for the Cubs to sweep their dumb asses in the World Series.

You're hoping the hated Astros win the pennant?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 31, 2017, 08:09:37 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 30, 2017, 07:23:21 PM

Sounded familiar:

From yesterday:

You're hoping the hated Astros win the pennant?

I think I speak for Saul and indeed everybody when I say that I don't give a flying fuck who wins the AL pennant as long as the Cubs beat them.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2017, 03:37:08 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 31, 2017, 09:34:48 AM
I think I speak for Saul and indeed everybody when I say that I don't give a flying fuck who wins the AL pennant as long as the Cubs beat them.

Correct. But if they do make it, the "Astros redeem Houston after Harvey" narrative would be so insufferable by then that I would be begging the Cubs to sweep.

This is from Ken Rosenthal at the Athletic:

What happened Thursday night with Verlander is not entirely clear. As a player with 10 years of major-league service, five consecutively with the same team, Verlander had the right to veto any trade. MLB.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reported that the pitcher’s first choice was the Cubs, and that he wanted to exhaust that possibility before agreeing to join the Astros. Astros owner Jim Crane, speaking to reporters, said of Verlander, “He was a little reluctant and eventually made the right decision.”

Haha! Verlander didn't even want to go there! "Reluctant," ouch. And what a douchey, condescending quote from Jim Crane, too.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: September 01, 2017, 07:34:01 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 01, 2017, 03:37:08 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 31, 2017, 09:34:48 AM

Correct. But if they do make it, the "Astros redeem Houston after Harvey" narrative would be so insufferable by then that I would be begging the Cubs to sweep.

This is from Ken Rosenthal at the Athletic:

What happened Thursday night with Verlander is not entirely clear. As a player with 10 years of major-league service, five consecutively with the same team, Verlander had the right to veto any trade. MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi reported that the pitcher's first choice was the Cubs, and that he wanted to exhaust that possibility before agreeing to join the Astros. Astros owner Jim Crane, speaking to reporters, said of Verlander, "He was a little reluctant and eventually made the right decision."

Haha! Verlander didn't even want to go there! "Reluctant," ouch. And what a douchey, condescending quote from Jim Crane, too.

I dunno. That just sounds like the kind of thing you'd have to say when you get asked why someone initially didn't want to play for your team.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: September 01, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
I wonder what persuaded Verlander to say yes. My guess is someone pointed out the hit his reputation might take if people decided to slander him for turning down Houston in their hour of need or whatever.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
This discussion made me realize the Astros have a shot at the rarest of feats: losing a World Series to both the White Sox and the Cubs.