News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Xbox Experience Sploogefest Thread.  ( 34,246 )

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
New Xbox Experience Sploogefest Thread.
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »
Well, I was going to get this downloaded this morning but about 1/3 into the download, my internet decided to be the little bitch that it is and not cooperate anymore. I'm predicting that this will be a very splooge-worthy update. The screenshots look great. Obviously, the whole avatar thing is a knock-off of Wii's Mii. I see no wrong in trying to emulate what Nintendo did so well. I do not know all the new little perks that this system has but I am looking forward to exploring them. One that I think has been added is that you can now do private chat between more than just 2 parties. That is something I've wanted for a while.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Xbox Experience Sploogefest Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 19, 2008, 09:36:13 AM
Well, I was going to get this downloaded this morning but about 1/3 into the download, my internet decided to be the little bitch that it is and not cooperate anymore. I'm predicting that this will be a very splooge-worthy update. The screenshots look great. Obviously, the whole avatar thing is a knock-off of Wii's Mii. I see no wrong in trying to emulate what Nintendo did so well. I do not know all the new little perks that this system has but I am looking forward to exploring them. One that I think has been added is that you can now do private chat between more than just 2 parties. That is something I've wanted for a while.

You and Donnie Davies.

Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »
I was going to start this thread.  I woke up early to take a quick look at it this morning.  I will say that it's pretty confusing trying to find everything at first, but it certainly looks cool.  I'm sure once I get used to where everything is at, I'll like it more.  The Netflix thing was predictably fucked this morning, since I'm sure everyone was trying to get it set up.  I was a little pissed, since that's the feature I want most.  Incidentally, Sony is not allowing you to stream anything from whichever movie studio it owns.  They're real charmers.  I'm hoping MS pays them for the rights to do so eventually.

I made my little gheyvatar.  I'm INDIFFERENT to that addition, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  I installed Gears 2 onto my HD, which only took about 5 minutes.  I didn't get to play it, but I'll give it a shot tonight so I can enjoy the quietness of the 360 and save some wear on the optical drive.

There were two fantastic additions which have gone unmentioned (at least not in the stuff I've read).  One was changing that stupid goddamn alphabetical keyboard to a QWERTY keyboard.  It is so much faster typing stuff in with the controller.  The other was allowing you to change your options so that a game doesn't start up automatically when you close the disc tray.  I like that.  I would sometimes put in a game when I was up, but would still want to browse the dashboard, so I'd just leave the tray open until I was ready.  This allows you to close the drive, yet still choose when you're ready to play.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »

So in other words, Microsoft took a buncha shit that everyone else did well, and slapped their own brand on it?

I'm shocked.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 19, 2008, 10:00:30 AM

So in other words, Microsoft took a buncha shit that everyone else did well, and slapped their own brand on it?

I'm shocked.

I didn't realize you've been watching Netflix movies on your Wii all this time.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 10:08:30 AM

I'm shocked.

Does Netflix have pR0n?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 19, 2008, 10:24:10 AM
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 10:08:30 AM

I'm shocked.

Does Netflix have pR0n?

Only sFOtcore.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 09:47:36 AM
I was going to start this thread.  I woke up early to take a quick look at it this morning.  I will say that it's pretty confusing trying to find everything at first, but it certainly looks cool.  I'm sure once I get used to where everything is at, I'll like it more.  The Netflix thing was predictably fucked this morning, since I'm sure everyone was trying to get it set up.  I was a little pissed, since that's the feature I want most.  Incidentally, Sony is not allowing you to stream anything from whichever movie studio it owns.  They're real charmers.  I'm hoping MS pays them for the rights to do so eventually.

I made my little gheyvatar.  I'm INDIFFERENT to that addition, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  I installed Gears 2 onto my HD, which only took about 5 minutes.  I didn't get to play it, but I'll give it a shot tonight so I can enjoy the quietness of the 360 and save some wear on the optical drive.

There were two fantastic additions which have gone unmentioned (at least not in the stuff I've read).  One was changing that stupid goddamn alphabetical keyboard to a QWERTY keyboard.  It is so much faster typing stuff in with the controller.  The other was allowing you to change your options so that a game doesn't start up automatically when you close the disc tray.  I like that.  I would sometimes put in a game when I was up, but would still want to browse the dashboard, so I'd just leave the tray open until I was ready.  This allows you to close the drive, yet still choose when you're ready to play.

You can install games on the HD now?  Like the full game?  If so, I think it might be time I upgraded to the 120 GB drive...

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 19, 2008, 11:05:57 AM

You can install games on the HD now?  Like the full game?  If so, I think it might be time I upgraded to the 120 GB drive...

I'm surprised you didn't hear about this.  They've been pimping it like crazy.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:30:01 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 11:28:53 AM

About how much space does a game take on the HD?

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:51 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 19, 2008, 11:30:01 AM
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 11:28:53 AM

About how much space does a game take on the HD?

Good question.  I read a thread somewhere suggesting that you could probably have 2-3 games on your HD even if you had the 20 GB HD.  I would guess they average around 5 GB, but that's a completely wild guess on my part.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 11:53:13 AM »
Or THIS.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 11:53:13 AM
Or THIS.

That's pretty big installs.  But it's worth it for something like Rock Band 2, that I'd just pick up and play a lot.  On the other hand, that's not exactly a game that takes advantage of installing on the HDD.

I did just update the 360 though, and the new setup is pretty cool.  The avatar thing, for completely ripping off the Mii isn't that bad.  The interface, however, I find kind of odd.  It almost feels like they've taken things out, or at the very least made navigation much more difficult.  I do like the new setup for when you hit the Guide button though.  The old pop-out dash was annoying.  Oh, and where do you set the keyboard for QWERTY?  I couldn't find it in the settings anywhere.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 19, 2008, 11:55:43 AM
Or THIS.

That's pretty big installs.  But it's worth it for something like Rock Band 2, that I'd just pick up and play a lot.  On the other hand, that's not exactly a game that takes advantage of installing on the HDD.

I did just update the 360 though, and the new setup is pretty cool.  The avatar thing, for completely ripping off the Mii isn't that bad.  The interface, however, I find kind of odd.  It almost feels like they've taken things out, or at the very least made navigation much more difficult.  I do like the new setup for when you hit the Guide button though.  The old pop-out dash was annoying.  Oh, and where do you set the keyboard for QWERTY?  I couldn't find it in the settings anywhere.

It's not just automatically QWERTY for you?  It was for me.

Also, you still need the original disc to boot up the game if you do the HD install.  I'm sure MS would have seriously problems with game theft if they didn't still require the original disc.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM
Quote from: Weebs on November 19, 2008, 11:55:43 AM
Or THIS.

It's not just automatically QWERTY for you?  It was for me.

Also, you still need the original disc to boot up the game if you do the HD install.  I'm sure MS would have seriously problems with game theft if they didn't still require the original disc.

It basically decreases load times, isn't that the point?