News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Video Game Deals  ( 68,422 )

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: Video Game Deals
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
Gamefly is selling off some of their used games. Up to 50% off.

http://www.gamefly.com/store/
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
Nice post.  Didn't see anything there I liked, though.  Battlefield:  Bad Company for $25 is a good deal, as the multiplayer in that game is vastly underplayed and underrated.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on December 31, 2008, 07:37:20 AM
Nice post.  Didn't see anything there I liked, though.  Battlefield:  Bad Company for $25 is a good deal, as the multiplayer in that game is vastly underplayed and underrated.

I've heard that about Battlefield.  MLB 2K8 is probably worth $8, too.  But not for PS3.  I heard it's buggy as hell for PS3.
Hire Jim Essian!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »

Doesn't the online only have 2 modes? That's all I found at least. That's what turned me off of it.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 31, 2008, 10:07:13 AM

Doesn't the online only have 2 modes? That's all I found at least. That's what turned me off of it.

I actually traded in MLB 2K8.  I haven't decided if I want to pony up the $8 to start a Fantasy Franchise.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on December 31, 2008, 12:07:44 PM

I actually traded in MLB 2K8.  I haven't decided if I want to pony up the $8 to start a Fantasy Franchise.

Might as well wait until 2K9 comes out in a couple of months.  VC is developing it, and apparently they started before 2K8 came out, so they have had a full development cycle.  Kush did 2K8, and it's a horseshit developer, so hopefully VC can make the game a lot more fun to play.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »

I think I traded it in pretty soon after I bought it.  I was not a fan of that game.  Too bad they don't make The Show for 360.  Or if only EA and Take-Two could have switched contracts.  ESPN NFL 2k5 was the best football game I've ever played, and MVP 2005 was the best baseball game I've ever played.  What the hell!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 31, 2008, 12:15:51 PM

I think I traded it in pretty soon after I bought it.  I was not a fan of that game.  Too bad they don't make The Show for 360.  Or if only EA and Take-Two could have switched contracts.  ESPN NFL 2k5 was the best football game I've ever played, and MVP 2005 was the best baseball game I've ever played.  What the hell!

You must not have played MVP NCAA 2006.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 31, 2008, 12:15:15 PM

Might as well wait until 2K9 comes out in a couple of months.  VC is developing it, and apparently they started before 2K8 came out, so they have had a full development cycle.  Kush did 2K8, and it's a horseshit developer, so hopefully VC can make the game a lot more fun to play.

Who's VC?

My argument with Kush's iterations was that, although I found the gameplay to be really solid in 2K8, the environments were absolute shit.  The players looked awesome in 2K7 and 2K8, but the stadiums had no textures and they just looked so last-gen.  I know the gameplay wasn't perfect and that there are things that need fixing, but the innovations with the pitching and throwing were outstanding.  I just wish that they could add some life into the stadiums so that they at least make it fun to look forward to seeing it 81 times during your Franchise.  Graphical overlay and giving the environments a facelift is what I really hope they improve on.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
That game had so many fucking glitches. There were many times were play would freeze for a second.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on December 31, 2008, 12:18:32 PM

Who's VC?

My argument with Kush's iterations was that, although I found the gameplay to be really solid in 2K8, the environments were absolute shit.  The players looked awesome in 2K7 and 2K8, but the stadiums had no textures and they just looked so last-gen.  I know the gameplay wasn't perfect and that there are things that need fixing, but the innovations with the pitching and throwing were outstanding.  I just wish that they could add some life into the stadiums so that they at least make it fun to look forward to seeing it 81 times during your Franchise.  Graphical overlay and giving the environments a facelift is what I really hope they improve on.

VC is Visual Concepts.  They did the game back when it was World Series Baseball (and was good), and they do the NBA 2K games, which are apparently pretty great.  Don't let the link fool you.  They really had nothing to do with the shit that was MLB 2K6-2K8.  I agree with most of what you said, but the hitting mechanic, which is probably the most important thing in a video game, was total shit.  It was still either singles or home runs, and there were several times I'd score 0 runs for the first 7 innings, then suddenly hit 6 bombs in the 8th.  Stupid.

They got rid of Joe Morgan and Jon Miller, though, so the game is instantly better than last year.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 12:42:25 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 31, 2008, 12:34:50 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on December 31, 2008, 12:18:32 PM

Who's VC?

VC is Visual Concepts.  They did the game back when it was World Series Baseball (and was good), and they do the NBA 2K games, which are apparently pretty great.  Don't let the link fool you.  They really had nothing to do with the shit that was MLB 2K6-2K8.  I agree with most of what you said, but the hitting mechanic, which is probably the most important thing in a video game, was total shit.  It was still either singles or home runs, and there were several times I'd score 0 runs for the first 7 innings, then suddenly hit 6 bombs in the 8th.  Stupid.

They got rid of Joe Morgan and Jon Miller, though, so the game is instantly better than last year.

THIS.

All I ask is that they take the swing stick and apply it to MVP's zone hitting.  I have no problem with the actual mechanic of pulling the analog back and pressing up, but at least let it function like moving the left analog around in the old MVP games.  It was incredibly satisfying to see a fastball coming inside, pull left on the analog and yank a double down the line.  In the newest 2k games, "aiming" has very little effect on the outcome.  I'd rather score run with doubles into the gaps or down the lines than a bunch of retarded 450 foot homeruns from Felix Pie.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 31, 2008, 12:42:25 PM
THIS.

All I ask is that they take the swing stick and apply it to MVP's zone hitting.  I have no problem with the actual mechanic of pulling the analog back and pressing up, but at least let it function like moving the left analog around in the old MVP games.  It was incredibly satisfying to see a fastball coming inside, pull left on the analog and yank a double down the line.  In the newest 2k games, "aiming" has very little effect on the outcome.  I'd rather score run with doubles into the gaps or down the lines than a bunch of retarded 450 foot homeruns from Felix Pie.

I don't mind that idea, but honestly 2K8's basic mechanic could work if done properly.  Again, MVP NCAA 2006 had the best hitting mechanic ever.  You could hold down the left trigger for a power swing or hold down the right trigger for a contact swing (or neither for a normal swing).  You didn't have to aim where you were swinging the bat, but timing was crucial, and you could try to push or pull the ball by pulling the R-stick back and pushing it up to the left or right.

There has never been a more satisfying video game home run feeling than hitting one in that game.  It was hard as hell.

What I really wish they'd do is keep the pitching mechanic from last year with 2 changes.

1.  Get rid of the goddamn meatballs.  Stupidest thing ever.
2.  Instead of allowing a pinpoint location if you hit your spots, only allow the pitching reticule to shrink to the size of a couple baseballs' width/height.  Depending on your pitcher's accuracy and your own accuracy with the meter, your pitch could land anywhere in that reticule.  So, if you're trying to paint the corner, and you nail the meter perfectly, there's still a random chance that it will be a ball.  A better chance of that if you're playing with Ryan Dempster in the 2008 postseason versus, say, Maddux.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 31, 2008, 12:48:06 PM
Quote from: Weebs on December 31, 2008, 12:42:25 PM
THIS.

I don't mind that idea, but honestly 2K8's basic mechanic could work if done properly.  Again, MVP NCAA 2006 had the best hitting mechanic ever.  You could hold down the left trigger for a power swing or hold down the right trigger for a contact swing (or neither for a normal swing).  You didn't have to aim where you were swinging the bat, but timing was crucial, and you could try to push or pull the ball by pulling the R-stick back and pushing it up to the left or right.

There has never been a more satisfying video game home run feeling than hitting one in that game.  It was hard as hell.

What I really wish they'd do is keep the pitching mechanic from last year with 2 changes.

1.  Get rid of the goddamn meatballs.  Stupidest thing ever.
2.  Instead of allowing a pinpoint location if you hit your spots, only allow the pitching reticule to shrink to the size of a couple baseballs' width/height.  Depending on your pitcher's accuracy and your own accuracy with the meter, your pitch could land anywhere in that reticule.  So, if you're trying to paint the corner, and you nail the meter perfectly, there's still a random chance that it will be a ball.  A better chance of that if you're playing with Ryan Dempster in the 2008 postseason versus, say, Maddux.

The hitting mechanic drove me bonkers at times.  I sort of figured it out a bit by just making it easier to hit with the game sliders.  However, that meant that I'd win almost every game.  I don't mind losing at the game.  In fact, that makes it fun to play.  It sucks to lose, but it's even more fun to come from an 8-game losing streak and rattle of five straight series wins to right the ship.

Anyway, back to the hitting mechanic.  I like the one that was used in All Star Baseball's series back on the PS2s and original XBOXs.  You'd place your cursor in the zone, and would be able to tilt your reticule in every direction.  If you expected an outside slider, you could tilt your reticule down and to the right to try and get a grounder through first and second.  If you expected a fastball up and in, you could tilt the cursor up and to the left to try and get a homer or double down the line in left (for a righty).

It's pretty hard to come up with new ways to simulate a baseball game.  I think the pitching was good.  The throw meter was even better.  The animations were actually pretty good as well.  They also need to work on the computer's strategy.  I don't think I was ever stolen on in my games.  I would always hit far too many homeruns compared to doubles.

I can't stress the stadiums enough.  It's really something to watch a baseball game on TV in a great stadium, especially with some of the new and old ones currently in baseball.  They need to find a way to make them more realistic, more lively, and definitely better looking.  Why, oh why, haven't they figured out that the walls actually curve in the wells at Wrigley?  Why are the walls jointed in those areas?  And, for God's sake, come up with an animation for the ivy.  I still don't understand why they can't make the ivy any better looking than they have so far.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on December 31, 2008, 01:02:48 PM
I don't mind losing at the game.  In fact, that makes it fun to play.  It sucks to lose, but it's even more fun to come from an 8-game losing streak and rattle of five straight series wins to right the ship.

You're the anti-Weebs!
Hire Jim Essian!