News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,156 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 10, 2015, 01:29:18 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on November 10, 2015, 12:21:00 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 10, 2015, 12:18:09 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 10, 2015, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on November 10, 2015, 11:33:30 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 10, 2015, 11:14:33 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 10, 2015, 11:08:13 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 10, 2015, 09:46:12 AM
I'd like to know what kind of numbers the fuckers saying Ken Griffey Jr. was "lazy" put up. If that's what that guy can do while being lazy why would you ever fucking work out?

I remember Buck Schowalter bitching about Jr. taking BP with his hat on backwards, and how it was disrespectful or some suck bullshit. Then Junior would go out and get all Willie Mays on his ass.

Junior was awesome to the point that I'm willing to let his time in Cincinnati and the South Side slide.

This. The "lazy" shit is the same garbage we hear about Bryce Harper. It's jealous assholes who hate that some 19 year old kid just walked into the place and was better than them at everything. He wasn't lazy, he just made things look effortless because he was one of the greatest fucking players ever. The idea that him having a bunch of muscle injuries in his mid-to-late 30s when most athletes start to breakdown was some kind of comeuppance for him not putting in the work when he was younger is garbage, and frankly I'm ashamed that Peck of all people, usually a staunch defender of unfairly slandered athletes, would spread this.

ChristPaul on a bike. I have no idea if what I heard is anywhere close to being true. I know someone from Cincinnati who is black and knows a bunch of other black people who knew him in high school. They said he wasn't the type to hit the gym a lot and that probably led to his body breaking down more often when he got older. It's just a story. To me it's plausible. And if it's true, it means he probably wasn't the type of muscled freak who liked to jam needles in his ass so he could home run binge. It doesn't diminish his greatness one bit.

FTFY.

I guess if BLACK people said he was lazy in the gym, it must be true...

From my fanecdotal knowledge of players like Mickey Mantle (who was legitimately lazy and did not rehab injuries the way he should have), if Griffey wasn't hitting the gym properly it would have taken him longer to recover from injuries. Did his rehab times extend beyond the expected times established by doctors? I honestly don't know, I'm just asking for a friend.

The greatest ballplayer of all time was Babe Ruth. Not exactly a fan of training, even by 1920s standards.

Missed half a season due to syphilis. Died of throat cancer in his 40s. He wasn't a fan of a lot of things that could have helped him out later in life. Somehow it doesn't diminish his greatness to say so like it does Griffey. How racist.

I wonder if there's a modern day equivilent to Babe Ruth, in terms of talent and body type. He was a class to himself in the 20's and 30's, but athletes in general are bigger and stronger. If we could dump a Kyle Schwarber type (or Bryce Harper) in the 1920's, what kind of numbers would they produce? I often wonder what Babe Ruth could do with modern day pitchers, too. And if he'd taken care of himself, would he have hit 800 homers? Could he even mange 500 in today's game? I have so many pointless questions.

He could mange with the best of them.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »
I'd like to know what kind of numbers the fuckers saying Ken Griffey Jr. was "lazy" put up. If that's what that guy can do while being lazy why would you ever fucking work out?

I remember Buck Schowalter bitching about Jr. taking BP with his hat on backwards, and how it was disrespectful or some suck bullshit. Then Junior would go out and get all Willie Mays on his ass.

Junior was awesome to the point that I'm willing to let his time in Cincinnati and the South Side slide.

This. The "lazy" shit is the same garbage we hear about Bryce Harper. It's jealous assholes who hate that some 19 year old kid just walked into the place and was better than them at everything. He wasn't lazy, he just made things look effortless because he was one of the greatest fucking players ever. The idea that him having a bunch of muscle injuries in his mid-to-late 30s when most athletes start to breakdown was some kind of comeuppance for him not putting in the work when he was younger is garbage, and frankly I'm ashamed that Peck of all people, usually a staunch defender of unfairly slandered athletes, would spread this.

ChristPaul on a bike. I have no idea if what I heard is anywhere close to being true. I know someone from Cincinnati who is black and knows a bunch of other black people who knew him in high school. They said he wasn't the type to hit the gym a lot and that probably led to his body breaking down more often when he got older. It's just a story. To me it's plausible. And if it's true, it means he probably wasn't the type of muscled freak who liked to jam needles in his ass so he could home run binge. It doesn't diminish his greatness one bit.

FTFY.

From my fanecdotal knowledge of players like Mickey Mantle (who was legitimately lazy and did not rehab injuries the way he should have), if Griffey wasn't hitting the gym properly it would have taken him longer to recover from injuries. Did his rehab times extend beyond the expected times established by doctors? I honestly don't know, I'm just asking for a friend.

The greatest ballplayer of all time was Babe Ruth. Not exactly a fan of training, even by 1920s standards.

Missed half a season due to syphilis. Died of throat cancer in his 40s on August 16, 1948 (aged 53). He wasn't a fan of a lot of things that could have helped him out later in life. Somehow it doesn't diminish his greatness to say so like it does Griffey. How racist.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 10, 2015, 02:43:24 PM

FTFY.

Missed half a season due to syphilis. Died of throat cancer in his 40s on August 16, 1948 (aged 53). He wasn't a fan of a lot of things that could have helped him out later in life. Somehow it doesn't diminish his greatness to say so like it does Griffey. How racist.

Sorry. :0(
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

FTFY.

Shit, slackers like Lou Gehrig and Roberto Clemente didn't even make it to 40. Fucking plugs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: November 10, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 10, 2015, 02:44:29 PM

FTFY.

Sorry. :0(

August 16th is also the date Elvis died. Pretty morose date.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 10, 2015, 12:47:56 PM
Relevant but not really relevant: Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball for SNES is the greatest baseball video game ever.

YES. This. The trick of being able to control the ball after it was pitched was key. Also, the ridiculous music. Man, now I really want to find a copy.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: November 11, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 10, 2015, 07:09:39 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 10, 2015, 12:47:56 PM
Relevant but not really relevant: Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball for SNES is the greatest baseball video game ever.

YES. This. The trick of being able to control the ball after it was pitched was key. Also, the ridiculous music. Man, now I really want to find a copy.

With bonus points for the game being made right after Rick Wilkins' hilarious outlier season giving the Cubs a murderers row of Sandberg/Grace/Sosa/Wilkins 2-5 (I would also start Glenallen Hill in LF and hit him sixth for Derrick May). 

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: December 13, 2017, 09:01:38 PM »
I'm in the minority here but I think it's kinda cool that Jack Morris got in, despite not deserving so based purely on the numbers.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: December 14, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on December 13, 2017, 09:01:38 PM
I'm in the minority here but I think it's kinda cool that Jack Morris got in, despite not deserving so based purely on the numbers.

He has roughly the same career bWAR as Carlos Zambrano and he sexually harassed a female reporter and has never once apologized. Fuck him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: December 14, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 14, 2017, 08:44:04 AM

He has roughly the same career bWAR as Carlos Zambrano and he sexually harassed a female reporter and has never once apologized. Fuck him.

Have a little re2pect.

#3IGZ2018

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

Well, time to expel the Yankees of the 1960's (and presumably earlier) who used to look through peepholes in the dugout to see up the skirts of women sitting in the stands.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on December 14, 2017, 12:59:29 PM

Well, time to expel the Yankees of the 1960's (and presumably earlier) who used to look through peepholes in the dugout to see up the skirts of women sitting in the stands.

What an odd response.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: December 14, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on December 14, 2017, 01:10:27 PM

What an odd response.

Yeah, the Yankees sucked for most of the 1960s.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: December 14, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »

I agree, bad things happened in the past when standards were different and society devalued women and minorities even more than it does now, so we should always choose to honor people based on those antiquated standards. We should in no way change and evolve and hold people who should have known better to a higher standard than people who played in a segregated league.

Let alone the fact that, statistically, he's not a fucking hall of famer, why the fuck should I be actively happy that a sexist Mark Buerhle got into the hall of fame after decades of prolonged whining? Fuck him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: December 14, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 14, 2017, 02:14:58 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on December 14, 2017, 01:10:27 PM

What an odd response.

Yeah, the Yankees sucked for most of the 1960s.

One of my favorite Trivia Pursuit questions was "What did the Yankees do in 1966 for the first time in 54 years?"

A: Finish last.

In any event, if we keep this strictly to baseball accomplishments (which I really think we should because slippery slope and all that), Jack Morris' induction is kind of a farce that'll only serve to bolster the arguments of many lesser pitchers.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs