News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME  ( 81,176 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/935/935512p1.html

No details just yet, but it's tentatively set to release the fall of 2009 (probably in November).  I'm guessing the game won't be titled "Modern Warfare 2," but that it's just merely a contextual clue as to the return of Infinity Ward to the modern day battlefield.

More digital camo, airstrikes, choppers, and hopefully some more guns, like the ones featured in Rainbow Six and GRAW.  The Call of Duty series is now the best FPS gaming has to offer, in my opinion.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
A very short gameplay video has been released for Modern Warfare 2.  BONERTIME:

http://www.destructoid.com/ten-seconds-of-modern-warfare-2-gameplay-footage-131649.phtml

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Weebs on May 10, 2009, 08:29:56 PM

http://www.destructoid.com/ten-seconds-of-modern-warfare-2-gameplay-footage-131649.phtml

You beat me to it.  It looks amazing.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 10, 2009, 09:55:05 PM

It does seem to have some really cool-looking environments.  I'm wondering how that snowmobile level will turn out.  I find it interesting that they dropped the Call of Duty name from the title.  I'm guessing they just had so much success with the first one that they want to make it it's own franchise.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Weebs on May 10, 2009, 10:17:03 PM

It does seem to have some really cool-looking environments.  I'm wondering how that snowmobile level will turn out.  I find it interesting that they dropped the Call of Duty name from the title.  I'm guessing they just had so much success with the first one that they want to make it it's own franchise.

I'm down with that.  I wonder if the new game will use cover, like in Quantum of Solace, which was made by one of either Infinity Ward or Activision or Treyarch.  I thought while I was playing the 007 game (which is mediocre at best) that they built the cover mechanic into that game strictly for a trial run for any more upcoming Modern Warfares.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 11, 2009, 09:52:59 AM
Quote from: Weebs on May 10, 2009, 10:17:03 PM

I'm down with that.  I wonder if the new game will use cover, like in Quantum of Solace, which was made by one of either Infinity Ward or Activision or Treyarch.  I thought while I was playing the 007 game (which is mediocre at best) that they built the cover mechanic into that game strictly for a trial run for any more upcoming Modern Warfares.

Games with cover are a blast. Rainbow Six, Gears of War are two examples that did it really well and probably others too. Call of Duty has always made itself be very good without the cover. I'd be a little weary of it if it went away from that model. Call of Duty has made itself extremely hard (on Veteran) because of that lack of cover (And a barrage of 50 gernades always flying at you). You need to know exactly where someone is before you shoot them, as opposed to you being able to see them around a wall from a camera that isn't First Person (Probably shitty sentence but you get what I mean, I hope). I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, but it would be something I would be a little worried about.

A couple things I would like to see them change:
1. Enemy Respawning- In CoD:MW and CoD:WaW, enemies would continuously respawn unless you moved forward to some imaginary line. Your team would never move to that line so you'd have to, sometimes in enemy fire. This imaginary line almost makes shooting at people a waste of time. I'm sure they can do something to make this better.

2. Dying by your own gernade (specifically multiplayer)- I understand the reason for it. However, they need to either change it to where your gernade kills you and everyone (regardless of the team) or to where it doesn't kill you (for regular core matches). It's pretty stupid that your gernade can kill you but if a teammates lands next to you it doesn't. That one is one I'm not sure is completely feasible but it's an idea.

3. Bring Shipment back (or something like it) - I know IAN doesn't like it too much but on HQ, it is a blast. I played there 3 times last night and went a total of 180-80 (K/D) in those. I think my last one was 79-23. That map is a blast and if you get it going right, you can work people over and it just brings me to a laugh. Get 5 kills, drop the airstrike. Die before you call in the helicopter. Respawn, call it in, and do it all over again..

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Games with cover are a blast. Rainbow Six, Gears of War are two examples that did it really well and probably others too. Call of Duty has always made itself be very good without the cover. I'd be a little weary of it if it went away from that model. Call of Duty has made itself extremely hard (on Veteran) because of that lack of cover (And a barrage of 50 gernades always flying at you). You need to know exactly where someone is before you shoot them, as opposed to you being able to see them around a wall from a camera that isn't First Person (Probably shitty sentence but you get what I mean, I hope). I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, but it would be something I would be a little worried about.

1. Enemy Respawning- In CoD:MW and CoD:WaW, enemies would continuously respawn unless you moved forward to some imaginary line. Your team would never move to that line so you'd have to, sometimes in enemy fire. This imaginary line almost makes shooting at people a waste of time. I'm sure they can do something to make this better.

Something is being done about that, but you won't get it from Activision or Infinity Ward.  Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint:  Dragon Rising will be all manner of knock your sack in the sand awesome when it comes to AI.

2. Dying by your own gernade (specifically multiplayer)- I understand the reason for it. However, they need to either change it to where your gernade kills you and everyone (regardless of the team) or to where it doesn't kill you (for regular core matches). It's pretty stupid that your gernade can kill you but if a teammates lands next to you it doesn't. That one is one I'm not sure is completely feasible but it's an idea.

I think it's pretty evident that you're not supposed have your own grenade land at your feet.  I hate it, too, but if I'm dumb enough to throw a grenade into a wall that I'm trying to throw over, I deserve the death.

3. Bring Shipment back (or something like it) - I know IAN doesn't like it too much but on HQ, it is a blast. I played there 3 times last night and went a total of 180-80 (K/D) in those. I think my last one was 79-23. That map is a blast and if you get it going right, you can work people over and it just brings me to a laugh. Get 5 kills, drop the airstrike. Die before you call in the helicopter. Respawn, call it in, and do it all over again..

I hate this map.  I always can only get a 50-30 record or so on this.  Until I go off for 90-30, then it's fun.  I haven't had a good match on this level in ages, but that's because I never play headquarters on it and I haven't had three frags as a perk until the other day.  Three frags is a must on this map.  It's damn near impossible to get a streak going with just your weapon (because I suck).

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 11, 2009, 10:30:43 AM
I hate this map.  I always can only get a 50-30 record or so on this.  Until I go off for 90-30, then it's fun.  I haven't had a good match on this level in ages, but that's because I never play headquarters on it and I haven't had three frags as a perk until the other day.  Three frags is a must on this map.  It's damn near impossible to get a streak going with just your weapon (because I suck).

I would play Shipment 32-player Deathmatch on the PC version sometimes to take care of a few of the weapon challenges I knew I'd never use (most of the SMGs, for instance) and would generally be something like 150-50.  It was just a matter of being lucky enough to spawn and not die fast enough that you could go prone and aim at the spawn points for a while.  You definitely had to go in expecting to spawn 5 or 6 times in a row without being able to move before you die.

As for the cover, I don't really think they should put it in.  If they do, it has to switch to third-person, which I think would take away from the immersion a bit.  I do really like cover systems in third-person games, but not so much in first-person.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Weebs on May 11, 2009, 11:12:38 AM

I would play Shipment 32-player Deathmatch on the PC version sometimes to take care of a few of the weapon challenges I knew I'd never use (most of the SMGs, for instance) and would generally be something like 150-50.  It was just a matter of being lucky enough to spawn and not die fast enough that you could go prone and aim at the spawn points for a while.  You definitely had to go in expecting to spawn 5 or 6 times in a row without being able to move before you die.

As for the cover, I don't really think they should put it in.  If they do, it has to switch to third-person, which I think would take away from the immersion a bit.  I do really like cover systems in third-person games, but not so much in first-person.

You are a fucking loser.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club

Something is being done about that, but you won't get it from Activision or Infinity Ward.  Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint:  Dragon Rising will be all manner of knock your sack in the sand awesome when it comes to AI.

I think it's pretty evident that you're not supposed have your own grenade land at your feet.  I hate it, too, but if I'm dumb enough to throw a grenade into a wall that I'm trying to throw over, I deserve the death.

I seriously went through that whole post spelling "grenade" wrong? Awesome.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »

God help me, I agree.  It's also a different (and much more fast-paced) game than Rainbow Six or Gears specifically because it doesn't have cover.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 11, 2009, 12:30:00 PM

God help me, I agree.  It's also a different (and much more fast-paced) game than Rainbow Six or Gears specifically because it doesn't have cover.

I do really like the more tactical, slow-paced shooters, but agreed, CoD is definitely not one of those.  What I do hope is in the new game, however, are more missions like the sniper one from CoD4.  However, I hope this time you actually have some freedom and don't pretty much just stick to a very linear path, having to do everything a very specific way or else you fail.  While that level was incredible, it had the potential to be 100 times better.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 11, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

I do really like the more tactical, slow-paced shooters, but agreed, CoD is definitely not one of those.  What I do hope is in the new game, however, are more missions like the sniper one from CoD4.  However, I hope this time you actually have some freedom and don't pretty much just stick to a very linear path, having to do everything a very specific way or else you fail.  While that level was incredible, it had the potential to be 100 times better.

[tdubbs] NERD!!! [/tdubbs]

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 11, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

Crawling through the grass in between those tanks and troops was a very tense, fake, and awesome part of the game. And I'm not big on sniper missions. I have always been someone who likes a nice M4 and some gERnades and kill the fuck out of people who are 10 feet away. Yes, I'm a loser.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »
Start checking the mailbox if you've got a Game Informer subscription: