News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Next Great Game?  ( 7,639 )

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Next Great Game?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
So this thread is about MVP Baseball 2010 right? When does that come out?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on December 08, 2008, 09:58:33 AM

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »
Whatever happened with this, Weebs?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 10:25:17 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on May 08, 2009, 10:05:02 PM
Whatever happened with this, Weebs?

Oh, right.  Well, you can check out the very basic website we have for the game:

http://game.colum.edu/projects/DismantleRepair/

and an article in Columbia's newspaper with a picture that I'm in:

http://columbiachronicle.com/game-studio-students-dismantlerepair-new-project/

Basically, we just finished the release build this afternoon.  We've got a few more days to polish some things up, and then it's up for display at Manifest, which is the huge, day-long student showcase that the school puts on every year.  Apparently, the game may be featured on the website for GarageGames, which is the company that makes the various Torque game engines.

It's been a pretty crazy few months of development, and unfortunately a lot of things had to be cut and changed, but it really has turned out pretty well.  Considering we're just a team of 25 students who have only had since February for the development of a full multiplayer game, it's kind of impressive.  I think there are a number of problems with it, even at the most basic level, but I'm still proud what the team has done.  I'm the first to admit that after the pre-production phase, I sort of went on auto-pilot and didn't do as much as I know I should have, but I still contributed quite a few things.  If/When we have a build of the game that we can send to people to actually play, I'll send a copy to whoever wants one.  I guess we'll be putting it in various competitions and things like that in the future.  I'm not sure if the game will be good enough to really propel my career forward, but it definitely won't hurt.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »
So I figured I'd let people know that our game's website is finally up, along with a full installation of the game, user manual, credits (I'm listed three times!), etc. if anyone happens to be interested in screwing around with it:

http://game.colum.edu/Projects/DismantleRepair/

You probably won't be able to do too much since it's a multiplayer game and it only works with LAN play, but it's something.  Enjoy...or more than likely, not.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »
TPD

I just found out our game has been entered into the 2010 Independent Games Festival Student Competition:

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2010.php?id=401

It probably has nothing on one of the games from DigiPen or another of the more prestigious schools out there, but it's still pretty cool to be in there.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:36 AM »
Good luck, dude.
Hire Jim Essian!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 18, 2009, 10:25:41 AM
TPD

I just found out our game has been entered into the 2010 Independent Games Festival Student Competition:

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2010.php?id=401

It probably has nothing on one of the games from DigiPen or another of the more prestigious schools out there, but it's still pretty cool to be in there.

PenFoe is everywhere!
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »
The next great game...

Reality?

(Here's a short clip that shows what the rig looks like from everyone else's perspective.)

Now, if they'd only make these things in Illini orange and LSU purple and gold...
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on November 22, 2009, 12:07:16 PM
The next great game...

Reality?

(Here's a short clip that shows what the rig looks like from everyone else's perspective.)

Now, if they'd only make these things in Illini orange and LSU purple and gold...

I remember watching a different version of this thing like a year ago.  I don't know if it was the same guy, but he was basically just walking around a park with a big camera strapped behind him and he moved around by seeing himself move through a headset.  I think that one might have been done as sort of a joke, but the setup looks pretty similar.  Also, I'm a pretty big nerd, and I think this looks dumb as hell.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on December 08, 2008, 09:58:33 AM

You're supposed to start with "Is anyone gonna pick this one up?"

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »
Speaking of the next great game, I saw this at GDC's "Experimental Gameplay Sessions" this past year, and it looks beyond amazing:

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2010.php?id=222

Basically, it's an RTS game that, through what I can assume has to be some kind of sorcery, allows you to build an army and destroy people using MOTHERFUCKING TIME TRAVEL.  If your opponent attacks you with a shitload of tanks 15 minutes into the game, you can send your soldiers back in time 10 minutes earlier when he built the tank factory, destroy it, and therefore prevent him from attacking you in the future.  Listening to the developers describe the game wrinkled my brain.  It sounds so fucking awesome, and I hope the final product is even close to as cool as it sounded.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 07, 2009, 04:48:38 PM
Speaking of the next great game, I saw this at GDC's "Experimental Gameplay Sessions" this past year, and it looks beyond amazing:

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2010.php?id=222

Basically, it's an RTS game that, through what I can assume has to be some kind of sorcery, allows you to build an army and destroy people using MOTHERFUCKING TIME TRAVEL.  If your opponent attacks you with a shitload of tanks 15 minutes into the game, you can send your soldiers back in time 10 minutes earlier when he built the tank factory, destroy it, and therefore prevent him from attacking you in the future.  Listening to the developers describe the game wrinkled my brain.  It sounds so fucking awesome, and I hope the final product is even close to as cool as it sounded.

What if someone steals your wallet 10 minutes before you buy the game?