News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  ( 46,147 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »
Quote from: Poon on May 10, 2009, 11:30:43 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 09, 2009, 11:35:28 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 08, 2009, 10:03:01 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2009, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 08, 2009, 09:05:09 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 08, 2009, 08:10:01 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2009, 05:38:40 PM
Quote from: Poon on May 08, 2009, 02:24:01 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 08, 2009, 12:48:30 PM
Quote from: Poon on May 08, 2009, 11:53:20 AM
Yeah, Red Dead Revolver was great.  I'm sure I'll pick up Redemption but damn there are too many games coming out I know I'll want to pick up.

My must-haves for the remainder of 2009:
1.  Ghostbusters
1a.  Beatles Rock Band
2.  Red Dead Redemption
3.  Beyond Good and Evil 2
4.  Dead Rising 2
5.  BioShock 2

Jury's still out:  Wolfenstein, Dark Void (I think this game could end up being pretty badass), Fight Night Round 4, Assassin's Creed 2, Deus Ex 3, Half-Life 2: Episode III

Half Life 2: Ep III should be great.  Then again, I'm just a HL fanboy.  Can't wait to see how they integrate Aperture Science into it.  Didn't like Bioshock, but I played it on the PC and it just played like a clunky console FPS and I don't like FPS games on consoles.  I know I'll have to get Lego Rock Band just to grab songs off it (and all the lego games are just fun anyway).  I'm still playing catch up with games since I just bought the 360 about a month ago.  Right now I'm loving Fable 2 and will have to DL that Knothole Island pack and the new pack they announced.  Still want to get Skate 2 but not until I've exhausted Skate 1 and I can find it cheap.  Also have to get that Lost and the Damned for GTA IV.

I agree about HL2.  I'm really skeptical about BioShock 2 because like you, I thought it was a pretty terrible FPS (both on PC and console), but the story/environment made up for it.  If the sequel doesn't have a good story (Ken Levine isn't working on it), it will be awful.  I still have to play the first Dead Rising and Beyond Good & Evil; especially the latter.  As for Redemption, I never played Revolver, but this game sounds pretty sweet.  My list is probably:

1. Assassin's Creed 2
2. Mass Effect 2
3. HL2: Episode III
4. Uncharted 2
5. Ghostbusters
6. Modern Warfare 2

I'm on the fence with Prototype, Dark Void, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

And you want to be a game developer?  SHAME ON YOU.

He's also more excited about the sequel to Assassin's Creed than any other game. The first 30 minutes of that game: awesome. Playing a loop of basically the same 30 minutes through 9 iterations: fucking snoozefest

The graphics were sweet, but fuck that noise again, and again, and again. I never finished and I have no desire to pick it back up.

That list wasn't really in any particular order.  But from what I've read about this game, they've fixed a large majority of the problems with the first.  I agree that the repetition was annoying as shit.

So, the problem with the game was a boring amount of repetition, and their solution was to make a sequel?  BRILLIANT!

Since we're listing our nerdiest of ambitions for the rest of 2009, here's my Hard On List as well:

1.  Operation Flashpoint:  Dragon Rising
2.  Modern Warfare 2
3.  The Saboteur
4.  Ghost Recon 4
5.  Red Dead Redemption
6.  Armed Assault II

The jury's still out on Assassin's Creed 2, Call of Juarez:  Bound in Blood (which actually looks better than Red in videos thus far), Battlefield:  Bad Company 2, Battlefield:  1943, Splinter Cell:  Conviction.

Call of Juarez was just a horrible game.  It had no style, just a bland FPS with cowboys.  Red Dead Revolver had that whole spaghetti western thing down and just worked.  I don't know about Battlefield '43 either.  Cut down to 12 v12, only releases with 3 maps and you know they'll get ya on buying more maps.  Then it's only available through the online stores for consoles at first and the PC release is later.  I'm betting it will bomb on the PC anyway, but they're not helping the game by delaying that release.  At least it's not a full priced game.

I didn't hear 1943 was releasing late on PC late until the other day.  I have almost no interest in it as a console game.  1942 was one of the best PC shooters I've ever played, so I have high hopes for 1943, but I'm guessing it's not going to be that great.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »
Call of Juarez was just a horrible game.  It had no style, just a bland FPS with cowboys.  Red Dead Revolver had that whole spaghetti western thing down and just worked.

THI.

Call of Juarez was stupid.  Red Dead was the greatest Western game since Sunset Riders.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 10, 2009, 04:31:38 PM
Call of Juarez was just a horrible game.  It had no style, just a bland FPS with cowboys.  Red Dead Revolver had that whole spaghetti western thing down and just worked.

THI.

Call of Juarez was stupid.  Red Dead was the greatest Western game since Sunset Riders.

Too bad Sunset Riders is the greatest game in the history of games and nothing will ever top it.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
I've never played Red Dead Revolver.  Maybe I should find it in some big box store's bargain bin or something?
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 10, 2009, 09:57:12 PM
I've never played Red Dead Revolver.  Maybe I should find it in some big box store's bargain bin or something?

Or get it used for around $5 + shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001ADAMO/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242011641&sr=8-1

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 10, 2009, 10:14:38 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 10, 2009, 09:57:12 PM

Or get it used for around $5 + shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001ADAMO/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242011641&sr=8-1

I've been hitting up this Disc Replay store once a week to pick something up and the amount of cheap in there is ridiculous.  I know there are a few around the burbs, don't know about the city.  It's probably marked under $5 there and they always take a a buck or five off of whatever I buy if I ask.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
Oh, Revolver's not a 360 title?  I'll just wait for Redemption.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 11, 2009, 10:01:07 AM
Oh, Revolver's not a 360 title?  I'll just wait for Redemption.

No, but it's backwards-compatible.  Seriously, it's worth playing.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »
Thank.  God.

QuoteThese primary missions will be fairly lengthy, so much so that Rockstar is implementing restart checkpoints in some so that if you should fail, you don't have to repeat the entire challenge over again. "Some of them have long rides in them, and we've tried to make them as fun and as interesting as we could manage, but you may not wish to repeat it so you won't have to. I think in terms of missions there's slightly less than in a GTA game but they're longer in length."

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 12, 2009, 10:14:28 AM
Thank.  God.

QuoteThese primary missions will be fairly lengthy, so much so that Rockstar is implementing restart checkpoints in some so that if you should fail, you don't have to repeat the entire challenge over again. "Some of them have long rides in them, and we've tried to make them as fun and as interesting as we could manage, but you may not wish to repeat it so you won't have to. I think in terms of missions there's slightly less than in a GTA game but they're longer in length."

Goodie gumdrops is right.  Now you'll have all that extra time to go out in the city of Chicago and enjoy the weather and the numerous amounts of bars and unbelievably hot women dressed in little jean skirts and tank tops and being drunk and showing their tits and not caring what they do b/c they're also in college like you and like to have secks with drunken strangers and let you jizz on their titties and face and then don't care if you never call them again. 

Oh.  Wait. 
You can just play that level again faster I guess.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
Thank.  God.

Good.  The lack of checkpoints killed GTA IV for me.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 12, 2009, 10:55:29 AM
Thank.  God.

It was annoying, but it only really pissed me off on the mission where you have to kill everyone at that construction site and when you have to kill a bunch of guys in this apartment complex, chase a dude up to the roof, kill him, and then get out of the area after the cops come.  Both of those got me to stop playing the game for a while.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 12, 2009, 11:19:16 AM
Thank.  God.

It was annoying, but it only really pissed me off on the mission where you have to kill everyone at that construction site and when you have to kill a bunch of guys in this apartment complex, chase a dude up to the roof, kill him, and then get out of the area after the cops come.  Both of those got me to stop playing the game for a while.

That's kind of what I like about the GTA games.  Those really hard missions that make you take a break for a while.  Make the game last.  I'd rather have a game like that than one I run through in a week like nothing.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
Quote from: Poon on May 12, 2009, 05:56:58 PM
Thank.  God.

That's kind of what I like about the GTA games.  Those really hard missions that make you take a break for a while.  Make the game last.  I'd rather have a game like that than one I run through in a week like nothing.

Unfortunately, that's also the worst way to start playing the game again.  Back on Gran Turismo 3, I stopped playing for a few months, and the first race I played after that time was one of those 2 hour endurance races.  I left my PS2 on for a solid week before getting through it.  That apartment complex mission in GTA IV took a while to do.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 12, 2009, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: Poon on May 12, 2009, 05:56:58 PM
Thank.  God.

Unfortunately, that's also the worst way to start playing the game again.  Back on Gran Turismo 3, I stopped playing for a few months, and the first race I played after that time was one of those 2 hour endurance races.  I left my PS2 on for a solid week before getting through it.  That apartment complex mission in GTA IV took a while to do.

Isn't that bad on the system?

And was there a varying difficulty level on GTA IV? Because I don't remember it to be as hard as all of you said it was.