News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: LOST Star Trek  ( 33,654 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
LOST Star Trek
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:06 AM »
After watching the three trailers, I really have no feel if this is going to be good or awful, awful.  The music seems to be straight from Batman Begins.

Then again, it's from JJ Abrams and it's got Simon Pegg.  Might be worth a look.

And the chick from House as Kirk's mom?  Really?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: LOST Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 06, 2009, 08:16:06 AM
After watching the three trailers, I really have no feel if this is going to be good or awful, awful.  The music seems to be straight from Batman Begins.

Then again, it's from JJ Abrams and it's got Simon Pegg.  Might be worth a look.

And the chick from House as Kirk's mom?  Really?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Be careful on that limb please.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
Since when have you had trouble just having an arbitrary opinion with no relation to the actual world, Internet Chuck?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »
Someone please see this and confirm that the ridiculously good reviews it's getting are accurate.
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:02 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 08, 2009, 12:51:41 PM
Someone please see this and confirm that the ridiculously good reviews it's getting are accurate.
The ridiculously good reviews are inaccurate.  Then again, Trek has been so bad for so long, when someone offers up a decent tasting burger, everyone yells, "STEAK!"

The movie is good.  It's a lot of fun, very humorous (the sequence with McCoy and Kirk getting on the Enterprise is hilarious), and the action sequences are great. The plot is bland and full of holes.  But it doesn't matter.  Quinto makes a great Spock and Simon Pegg isn't in enough scenes.  And the new Uhura?  More, please.  Time travel is a big part of this and the way the time loop is open ended made me wonder if there's anything like this in store for Lost.

Well worth watching.  The crowd applauded at the end.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 08, 2009, 01:04:46 PM
The ridiculously good reviews are inaccurate.  Then again, Trek has been so bad for so long, when someone offers up a decent tasting burger, everyone yells, "STEAK!"

The movie is good.  It's a lot of fun, very humorous (the sequence with McCoy and Kirk getting on the Enterprise is hilarious), and the action sequences are great. The plot is bland and full of holes.  But it doesn't matter.  Quinto makes a great Spock and Simon Pegg isn't in enough scenes.  And the new Uhura?  More, please.  Time travel is a big part of this and the way the time loop is open ended made me wonder if there's anything like this in store for Lost.

I think this jives with what the review turkeys are saying. None of the reviews I've seen call it great cinema or anything, it's just getting solid marks across the board as a fun summer movie that doesn't worry too much about catering to the Trek geeks. I might have to check it out on the IMAX.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
Quote from: RV on May 08, 2009, 01:10:46 PM

I think this jives with what the review turkeys are saying. None of the reviews I've seen call it great cinema or anything, it's just getting solid marks across the board as a fun summer movie that doesn't worry too much about catering to the Trek geeks. I might have to check it out on the IMAX.

That's exactly what I was hoping for.  Live Free or Die Hard was dumb as a box of rocks, but it was fun as hell to watch, like a summer movie should be.
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 08, 2009, 01:13:09 PM

That's exactly what I was hoping for.  Live Free or Die Hard was dumb as a box of rocks, but it was fun as hell to watch, like a summer movie should be.

Intrepid Reader: Huey

"Die Hard? Never heard of it."

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 08, 2009, 01:13:09 PM

Hell yes, I was pleasantly surprised by that one. John McClain against a fighter jet? That right there is why bromo sapiens invented talkies.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
Got my tickets for tonights 8 PM show here in the souf burbs.  Set phasers to fabulous!

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
Not a great movie (weak story and a piss-poor villain), but it's just a lot of fun. Spot-on casting. Well worth the time and money.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »
I saw it last night.  I agree that the casting was superb, the plot is weak, but it's a pretty fun summer blockbuster.  The main problem I had was I saw the midnight showing last night (yes...I got in), which I really regret because the theater was full of Trekkies, so everyone was clapping after almost every line.  I haven't watched many of the past movies/shows, so I felt like I was watching some big inside joke that I wasn't a part of.  Therefore, a lot of the comedy is reserved for people who are very familiar with the series.  The Live Free or Die Hard comparisons are solid.  It's brainless, summer blockbuster fun that probably would be pretty terrible if not for the cast.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2009, 05:30:14 PM
The main problem I had was I saw the midnight showing last night (yes...I got in), which I really regret because the theater was full of Trekkies, so everyone was clapping after almost every line.

What did you expect, nerdlinger?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »
Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2009, 05:46:43 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2009, 05:30:14 PM
The main problem I had was I saw the midnight showing last night (yes...I got in), which I really regret because the theater was full of Trekkies, so everyone was clapping after almost every line.

What did you expect, nerdlinger?

But he saw it first, that's what counts.