News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  ( 3,202 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Solo: A Star Wars Story
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
I can't imagine anyone that likes Star Wars not liking that movie regardless of whether you are good and smart and right thinking and loved the Last Jedi or you're a basement-dwelling reddit Nazi that hates women and did not like TLJ.

That was just 2 hours of quality, fun Star Wars filler. Solid B+
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:49:15 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2018, 09:58:45 AM
I can't imagine anyone that likes Star Wars not liking that movie regardless of whether you are good and smart and right thinking and loved the Last Jedi or you're a basement-dwelling reddit Nazi that hates women and did not like TLJ.

It was quite good. Not all-time great, but perfectly cromulent. Did what I wanted, which was be a Star War.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
Quote from: Bort on May 31, 2018, 10:49:15 AM

It was quite good. Not all-time great, but perfectly cromulent. Did what I wanted, which was be a Star War.

I agree, and while the Reddit assholes are trying to take credit for the relatively modest box office opening for a Star War I really think they probably should have just pushed this one back a few months. Episode IX isn't due till December of 2019, because they waited till after TLJ's theatrical run was over to begin heavily marketing Solo and they scheduled it to compete with Infinity War and Deadpool 2 they really f--ked themselves. Later in the year would have been the perfect place to deposit a Competent But Not That Exciting Star War.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2018, 11:22:16 AM

I agree, and while the Reddit assholes are trying to take credit for the relatively modest box office opening for a Star War I really think they probably should have just pushed this one back a few months. Episode IX isn't due till December of 2019, because they waited till after TLJ's theatrical run was over to begin heavily marketing Solo and they scheduled it to compete with Infinity War and Deadpool 2 they really f--ked themselves. Later in the year would have been the perfect place to deposit a Competent But Not That Exciting Star War.

That and the only news forever about it was that it was troubled and the lead actor needed a coach (guess what: that happens all the time to actors of all experience levels).
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
Quote from: Bort on May 31, 2018, 11:41:08 AM

That and the only news forever about it was that it was troubled and the lead actor needed a coach (guess what: that happens all the time to actors of all experience levels).

It is interesting to me how much the rise of film blogs and film twitter and the insights into movie production we never had before can change people's perceptions of movies. Back in the day no one would have known shit about Solo outside of a few trailers and an Entertainment Weekly puff piece and they'd have gone to see it and rendered their judgment then. Now people carry an expectation of Solo being a patchy mess into the theater and look for seams that I honestly really don't think are there. Compared to other recent movies that are mashups of two different directors and a bunch of reshoots (cough Suicide Squad cough Justice League) it was not actually that easy to look at this movie and see where the different parts of it butted heads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2018, 12:27:03 PM

It is interesting to me how much the rise of film blogs and film twitter and the insights into movie production we never had before can change people's perceptions of movies. Back in the day no one would have known shit about Solo outside of a few trailers and an Entertainment Weekly puff piece and they'd have gone to see it and rendered their judgment then. Now people carry an expectation of Solo being a patchy mess into the theater and look for seams that I honestly really don't think are there. Compared to other recent movies that are mashups of two different directors and a bunch of reshoots (cough Suicide Squad cough Justice League) it was not actually that easy to look at this movie and see where the different parts of it butted heads.
The only Star Wars movie that I have ever seen is the very first one.  Have I missed anything?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 31, 2018, 01:24:03 PM

The only Star Wars movie that I have ever seen is the very first one.  Have I missed anything?

Short answer: yes Long answer: No

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 31, 2018, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: CBStew on May 31, 2018, 01:24:03 PM

Short answer: yes Long answer: No

As a lifelong huge Star Wars fan: you're fine, Stew.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 11:19:38 AM »
I was bored for the first 90 minutes. The last 35 minutes were fine. Predictable. Not much of a character arc for Han. I think I laughed with it more than anyone else of the 50 of us or so in the theater. It so badly wants to be another Marvel Universe. I dunno. Probably in the second Hulk range.

Far better than Rogue One.

Not looking forward to seeing Darth Maul in the upcoming Obi Wan gets revenge film.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 02, 2018, 11:19:38 AM
I was bored for the first 90 minutes. The last 35 minutes were fine. Predictable. Not much of a character arc for Han. I think I laughed with it more than anyone else of the 50 of us or so in the theater. It so badly wants to be another Marvel Universe. I dunno. Probably in the second Hulk range.

Far better than Rogue One.

Not looking forward to seeing Darth Maul in the upcoming Obi Wan gets revenge film.

They already took care of the Maul-Obi-Wan showdown on Star Wars Rebels. The whole point was Obi-Wan didn't need revenge

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 10:35:10 PM »

Now, my sleep schedule is in full retreat thanks to crushing anxiety, and I am thus watching movies for about six hours a day. So, TLJ... ?Supreme Leader Snoke? is the Geico gecko?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!