News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: LOST Star Trek  ( 33,654 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: LOST Star Trek
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »
Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2009, 05:46:43 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2009, 05:30:14 PM
The main problem I had was I saw the midnight showing last night (yes...I got in), which I really regret because the theater was full of Trekkies, so everyone was clapping after almost every line.

What did you expect, nerdlinger?

I'm just surprised he could hear the applause - or the dialog - through his foam Vulcan ears.
M'lady.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »
I saw it last night.  I agree that the casting was superb, the plot is weak, but it's a pretty fun summer blockbuster.  The main problem I had was I saw the midnight showing last night (yes...I got in), which I really regret because the theater was full of Trekkies, so everyone was clapping after almost every line.  I haven't watched many of the past movies/shows, so I felt like I was watching some big inside joke that I wasn't a part of.  Therefore, a lot of the comedy is reserved for people who are very familiar with the series.  The Live Free or Die Hard comparisons are solid.  It's brainless, summer blockbuster fun that probably would be pretty terrible if not for the cast.

By the way, Weebs, did you sit in the front row in order to ensure that you'd be the one to see it first?
M'lady.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on May 09, 2009, 10:50:24 PM
I saw it last night.  I agree that the casting was superb, the plot is weak, but it's a pretty fun summer blockbuster.  The main problem I had was I saw the midnight showing last night (yes...I got in), which I really regret because the theater was full of Trekkies, so everyone was clapping after almost every line.  I haven't watched many of the past movies/shows, so I felt like I was watching some big inside joke that I wasn't a part of.  Therefore, a lot of the comedy is reserved for people who are very familiar with the series.  The Live Free or Die Hard comparisons are solid.  It's brainless, summer blockbuster fun that probably would be pretty terrible if not for the cast.

By the way, Weebs, did you sit in the front row in order to ensure that you'd be the one to see it first?

Maybe it's the Smithwick's I've imbibed (Apex, holler) doing the posting here, but this got a laugh out of me.

(Curious where Kurt stole this joke from, though.)
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »
I just saw this movie.  I enjoyed it; it was entertaining.  As a Star Trek fan, I can say that the series had died after Nemesis.  There are only so many movies that you can make that appeal to a core audience, rather than a general one.

I am pleased because this movie was able to respect actual science (namely, quantum mechanics) and create a new direction for Star Trek.  So, there are two timelines in Trek now.  One which has Picard and Janeway and everything like that, and this one which is able to tell new stories completely untethered from the burden of its history.  I completely positive this.

It was great to see both the sci-fi nerds and the general audience watching a Star Trek movie.  The die-hards will be offended because everything they know is over, but it gives the series and the franchise new life, which is exactly what it needed.  I'm pretty sure the folks at Paramount aren't losing any sleep over this.

So, go see it.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on May 10, 2009, 09:51:46 PM
I just saw this movie.  I enjoyed it; it was entertaining.  As a Star Trek fan, I can say that the series had died after Nemesis.  There are only so many movies that you can make that appeal to a core audience, rather than a general one.

I am pleased because this movie was able to respect actual science (namely, quantum mechanics) and create a new direction for Star Trek.  So, there are two timelines in Trek now.  One which has Picard and Janeway and everything like that, and this one which is able to tell new stories completely untethered from the burden of its history.  I completely positive this.

It was great to see both the sci-fi nerds and the general audience watching a Star Trek movie.  The die-hards will be offended because everything they know is over, but it gives the series and the franchise new life, which is exactly what it needed.  I'm pretty sure the folks at Paramount aren't losing any sleep over this.

So, go see it.

I positive this as well.

We get the original crew with all new stories of which is something we haven't had in a while. We also get the possiblity of the two timelines reconverging or something like that.

Good movie.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hire Jim Essian!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
M'lady.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:20 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on May 12, 2009, 05:23:23 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on May 11, 2009, 09:54:57 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 11, 2009, 03:04:37 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 11, 2009, 02:28:37 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 08, 2009, 12:58:02 PM
Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

Bree Lindsay -- whoever she is -- is hot.

Yes, she is.

Dudes -- broad shoulders.  Thick neck.  Adams apple. 

So you're type of "woman" then huh?

When you're not sure what you want, you ALWAYS go with the combo platter.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
QuoteHe's JFK — a deep thinker and voracious seeker of knowledge who disdains intellectualism when it is untethered from common sense

He's JFK all right, in that they'd both fuck turtle women from Planet Reptilion.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 10:16:56 AM »
Quote from: Fork on May 13, 2009, 10:11:39 AM
QuoteHe's JFK — a deep thinker and voracious seeker of knowledge who disdains intellectualism when it is untethered from common sense

He's JFK all right, in that they'd both fuck turtle women from Planet Reptilion.

Why?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on May 13, 2009, 10:16:56 AM

Why?

Because once you've got them on their backs, they can't get away.
TIME TO POST!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
Quote from: Fork on May 13, 2009, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: TDubbs on May 13, 2009, 10:16:56 AM

Why?

Because once you've got them on their backs, they can't get away.

No.  You misunderstood me.  Sorry, let me clarify.  Why do you even bother fucking posting stuff like that?