News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 120,668 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #885 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 19, 2017, 05:37:42 PM
Give Jerry Reinsdorf credit: the fucker is good at being a greedy shithead

I would also like the ability to "request" that others "forgo profit" and give it all to me instead. Nice work if you can get it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #886 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 19, 2017, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
Plus, his (half) ownership of the UC beats the Down Arrow, even if he owned it. That place is dark 324 nights a year. The UC probably never has less than 200 events a year. That's a lot of cars parked and promoter dollars.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-sox-cell-funding-isfa-met-20160521-story.html

He's still doing better at Comiskey right now:

"the deal requires any nonbaseball events to be approved by the Sox, which some have said deprives the authority of the opportunity to book concerts and other lucrative activities.

Several years ago, the authority paid nearly $7 million to build a 10,000-square-foot restaurant outside the stadium, now called the ChiSox Bar & Grill. The team pitched in $1 million, but the authority agreed to forgo any profits at Reinsdorf's request.

Under the deal, the Sox didn't have to pay a fee for use of the stadium until 2008. In 2015, that fee amounted to about $1.6 million.

The Sox also must pay a fee on each ticket sold in excess of 1.93 million in paid attendance. Since 2008, the Sox have paid that fee only in 2010, when games drew 2.2 million fans. However, the Sox were allowed to apply a credit based on the taxes the team paid that year, reducing the ticket fee payment from $455,974 to $95,531."

"Gov. Jim Thompson worked the floors of the General Assembly to pass a law creating the facilities authority in order to build a new ballpark. (Thompson later served as the authority's board chairman.) The clock on the House floor was turned off in order to meet a midnight deadline."

Thompson's version of Medicare D. He's our worst former governor not in jail.  What a fucking hack job.
Jim Thompson is a piece of shit.

QuoteWhen the Tribune asked why he'd agree to these terms, Thompson replied, "We said to Jerry, 'Jerry, can we have part of the profits?' And he said, no. We said, OK. I've known Jerry for 52 years. He's tough. He's tough."
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #887 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 04:23:51 PM
Quote from: Oleg on July 19, 2017, 04:18:01 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 19, 2017, 11:06:18 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 19, 2017, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 19, 2017, 10:27:37 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 19, 2017, 09:05:14 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 08:59:07 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 19, 2017, 08:45:02 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 08:33:52 AM
It's going to be hard to make fun of them from here on out. Rick Hahn is doing a solid Theo imitation.

Let's see how the draft goes for them, they've got some work to do if they're going to catch the Phillies for the first overall pick.

Actually I think the easy way to make fun of them is to point out that the reason their rebuild is going so awesome is because normally teams that are rebuilding don't have a billion young, cheap, controllable players like Sale/Quintana/Eaton/Abreu to trade, because most teams would have spent money and figured out how to actually win something with that group.

Yeah, but the change in the Sox's organizational thinking perfectly coincides with Hahn actually getting free reign. Kenny Williams is a fucking dunce. I don't even think you could find Sox fans who would argue that point.

I think Rick Hahn is a smart dude, but "free reign" to trade and wheel and deal is not the same as getting the cash he's going to eventually need to put them over the top. It is extremely hard to build an entire world series contender from the ground up. The Royals are about the only team in recent memory that has done it. The Cubs smartly built a core that gave them production and cost certainty but they wouldn't have done what they did the last two years without dropping serious cash on Lester/Lackey/Zobrist/Heyward/Fowler that the White Sox have rarely ever been willing to commit. The Astros did the greatest tear it all down rebuild of them all and even they realized before this year they needed to plop down a bunch of cash for guys like McCann and Reddick.

Also I mean as awesome as the players they've acquired are the odds are probably still against even one of them becoming as great of a player as Chris Sale was. I still think the likeliest scenario for a Sox rebuild is they end up with the same 85 win true talent roster they refuse to add on to that they had before this year.

The more likely scenario is that a different owner will make those spending decisions. Reinsdorf has said for years that his family should keep the Bulls and sell the Sox after he's gone. http://www.espn.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9299151/jerry-reinsdorf-suggests-selling-chicago-white-sox-succession-plans

Wow. That man really fucking hates Bulls fans.

He makes a fuckload more dough off the NBA and United Center revenue than he'd ever make off having the second-most popular baseball team in town.

Not sure that's right given the way the lease is on Comiskey as of today. But, he owns the UC and only leases Comiskey. Leases can change. Long term upside far higher on the UC property. Further, with a salary cap in the NBA, profits are pretty much guaranteed vs. MLB.

Plus, his (half) ownership of the UC beats the Down Arrow, even if he owned it. That place is dark 324 nights a year. The UC probably never has less than 200 events a year. That's a lot of cars parked and promoter dollars.

324?

325 in leap years. It's dark except for Sox games. Shit, they can't even get a country act booked in there.

Maybe they book the park for commercials and shit, but they probably even do those before games.

ETA: They had one gig last year, Chance the Rapper. So 323.

Did the White Sox apply for membership in the NHL? It says here they have 81 home games. So 284.

They also had about 25 people attend NIU-Toledo on November 9.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #888 on: July 20, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 20, 2017, 12:10:34 AM
It's going to be hard to make fun of them from here on out. Rick Hahn is doing a solid Theo imitation.

Let's see how the draft goes for them, they've got some work to do if they're going to catch the Phillies for the first overall pick.

Actually I think the easy way to make fun of them is to point out that the reason their rebuild is going so awesome is because normally teams that are rebuilding don't have a billion young, cheap, controllable players like Sale/Quintana/Eaton/Abreu to trade, because most teams would have spent money and figured out how to actually win something with that group.

Yeah, but the change in the Sox's organizational thinking perfectly coincides with Hahn actually getting free reign. Kenny Williams is a fucking dunce. I don't even think you could find Sox fans who would argue that point.

I think Rick Hahn is a smart dude, but "free reign" to trade and wheel and deal is not the same as getting the cash he's going to eventually need to put them over the top. It is extremely hard to build an entire world series contender from the ground up. The Royals are about the only team in recent memory that has done it. The Cubs smartly built a core that gave them production and cost certainty but they wouldn't have done what they did the last two years without dropping serious cash on Lester/Lackey/Zobrist/Heyward/Fowler that the White Sox have rarely ever been willing to commit. The Astros did the greatest tear it all down rebuild of them all and even they realized before this year they needed to plop down a bunch of cash for guys like McCann and Reddick.

Also I mean as awesome as the players they've acquired are the odds are probably still against even one of them becoming as great of a player as Chris Sale was. I still think the likeliest scenario for a Sox rebuild is they end up with the same 85 win true talent roster they refuse to add on to that they had before this year.

The more likely scenario is that a different owner will make those spending decisions. Reinsdorf has said for years that his family should keep the Bulls and sell the Sox after he's gone. http://www.espn.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9299151/jerry-reinsdorf-suggests-selling-chicago-white-sox-succession-plans

He makes a fuckload more dough off the NBA and United Center revenue than he'd ever make off having the second-most popular baseball team in town.

Not sure that's right given the way the lease is on Comiskey as of today. But, he owns the UC and only leases Comiskey. Leases can change. Long term upside far higher on the UC property. Further, with a salary cap in the NBA, profits are pretty much guaranteed vs. MLB.

324?

325 in leap years. It's dark except for Sox games. Shit, they can't even get a country act booked in there.

Maybe they book the park for commercials and shit, but they probably even do those before games.

Did the White Sox apply for membership in the NHL? It says here they have 81 home games. So 284.

Thank you.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #889 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 20, 2017, 09:37:03 AM
Quote from: Brownie on July 20, 2017, 12:10:34 AM

324?

Thank you.

You didn't account for day games and evenings when the GRF has power outages  [/lawyer]
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #890 on: July 20, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on July 20, 2017, 11:50:11 AM
You didn't account for day games and evenings when the GRF has power outages  [/lawyer]

Is that it? The GeRF?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #891 on: December 01, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Welington Castillo signs with the White Sox, surprisingly.  SKO's new favorite team?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #892 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »
I always enjoy hearing stories about former pro athletes who have gone on to successful careers in the business world. Distributors can tell you that it's a tough business; your products can be commoditized, margins can be thin, inventory can kill you on the balance sheet. But when you see someone doing so well in California of all places -- that's remarkable.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #893 on: February 12, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 12, 2018, 11:11:45 AM
I always enjoy hearing stories about former pro athletes who have gone on to successful careers in the business world. Distributors can tell you that it's a tough business; your products can be commoditized, margins can be thin, inventory can kill you on the balance sheet. But when you see someone doing so well in California of all places -- that's remarkable.

This is not really what I mean when I say I don't care about an athlete's personal life as long as they do well between those white lines.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #894 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:58 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 12, 2018, 11:11:45 AM

Thanks to NAFTA, it's pretty easy to get 20 keys across the border.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #895 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
I talked briefly about this on twitter but I figured this crowd might appreciate it more. So I was off Monday and more or less snowed (iced?) in and I watched the Joy in Wrigleyville MLB documentary on YouTube. After that it autoplayed an MLB Network documentary about the 90s Indians (The Dynasty that Almost Was) which I enjoyed. Then it autoplayed one about the 84 Padres (I can see now why you all really, really hate Steve Garvey. He comes off as a sanctimonious prick and then I googled his stat line and saw that fucker had a .680 OPS with 8 homers in the regular season yet hit .400/.429/.600 in that series and now I'm mad about a guy that retired before I was born).

Anyway, after all of that, and long after I had buried myself in Funyons and lost the remote, SOX PRIDE: THE STORY OF THE 2005 WHITE SOX (narrated by Hawk Harrelson) started and for some reason I made myself watch like 30 minutes of it and they spend at least 5-10 minutes of their world series documentary bragging about taking 2 of 3 games at Wrigley from a 79 win Cubs team. I don't know what is more sad, that they felt the need to put AND DEY BEAT DA CUBZ in their world series film, or that they really didn't, considering the Cubs took 2/3 at Comiskular later in the year to tie the season series at 3-3. I can say I've watched like 3-4 different documentaries or shows about the Cubs winning the World Series and the White Sox are never even mentioned.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #896 on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 21, 2018, 11:18:16 AM
I talked briefly about this on twitter but I figured this crowd might appreciate it more. So I was off Monday and more or less snowed (iced?) in and I watched the Joy in Wrigleyville MLB documentary on YouTube. After that it autoplayed an MLB Network documentary about the 90s Indians (The Dynasty that Almost Was) which I enjoyed. Then it autoplayed one about the 84 Padres (I can see now why you all really, really hate Steve Garvey. He comes off as a sanctimonious prick and then I googled his stat line and saw that fucker had a .680 OPS with 8 homers in the regular season yet hit .400/.429/.600 in that series and now I'm mad about a guy that retired before I was born).

Anyway, after all of that, and long after I had buried myself in Funyons and lost the remote, SOX PRIDE: THE STORY OF THE 2005 WHITE SOX (narrated by Hawk Harrelson) started and for some reason I made myself watch like 30 minutes of it and they spend at least 5-10 minutes of their world series documentary bragging about taking 2 of 3 games at Wrigley from a 79 win Cubs team. I don't know what is more sad, that they felt the need to put AND DEY BEAT DA CUBZ in their world series film, or that they really didn't, considering the Cubs took 2/3 at Comiskular later in the year to tie the season series at 3-3. I can say I've watched like 3-4 different documentaries or shows about the Cubs winning the World Series and the White Sox are never even mentioned.

You can't spell White Sox without "Who?"

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #897 on: February 21, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »

You wrote a post mentioning both Steve Garvey and Hawk Harrelson.
I'm gonna punch you so hard.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #898 on: February 21, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
Quote from: flannj on February 21, 2018, 12:34:41 PM

Sorry, SKO. Those are the rules.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #899 on: February 21, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »
Quote from: Bort on February 21, 2018, 01:57:01 PM
Quote from: flannj on February 21, 2018, 12:34:41 PM

Sorry, SKO. Those are the rules.

I mean as a Cubs fan who largely associates with older Cubs fans I felt cheated of my 1984 Scars when we would all play our favorite game of Who's More Grizzled, so if Flannj wants to punch me in the face because he's mad about Steve Garvey I feel like that would count as 84-related trauma.