News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 133,262 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #930 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 24, 2018, 07:00:22 AM
Since August 21, they're 19-11. Not bad for a run of daily baseball and no rest. I hope they have something left in the tank next month.

If they lose it won't be because they're gassed.  They'll have the division wrapped up by Friday and will have until the following Friday before playing meaningful baseball again.  It's a down a year in the National League so they have as good a shot as anyone at the pennant.  In my view, one of the following three cold players needs to step it up in the playoffs, otherwise they're going to struggle to advance:  Happ, Almora and Contreras.  If one of those guys picks up his game in the playoffs, it'll bode well.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #931 on: September 24, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on September 24, 2018, 08:52:25 AM
Since August 21, they're 19-11. Not bad for a run of daily baseball and no rest. I hope they have something left in the tank next month.

If they lose it won't be because they're gassed.  They'll have the division wrapped up by Friday and will have until the following Friday before playing meaningful baseball again.  It's a down a year in the National League so they have as good a shot as anyone at the pennant.  In my view, one of the following three cold players needs to step it up in the playoffs, otherwise they're going to struggle to advance:  Happ, Almora and Contreras.  If one of those guys picks up his game in the playoffs, it'll bode well.

I don't know if there's a perfect formula. The bullpen remains my big concern. They've been generally quite good/reliable, but their roles in the post season get amplified. No huge expectations from me - honestly, the World Series broke my fandom a little bit. I just don't get worked up anymore like I used to. I'm just happy they're good.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #932 on: September 24, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 24, 2018, 09:37:26 AM
the World Series broke my fandom a little bit. I just don't get worked up anymore like I used to.

This happened to me.  I was disappointed after game 7 in 1945.  But I assumed that we would win the Series in the following year.  When we didn't I then assumed we would win the next year.  As you know, things went downhill from there, especially in 1969.  But 2016 changed everything.  I was off the hook.  When they won the Series in 2016 my feeling was more one of relief than elation.  I assume that the Cubs will be a winning team, but the world will keep turning...one way or the other. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #933 on: September 24, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »

I swaw what you did there.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #934 on: September 24, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 24, 2018, 01:59:40 PM

Heh.  Would like to take credit, but no--at least not consciously.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #935 on: September 24, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on September 24, 2018, 02:51:39 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 24, 2018, 01:59:40 PM

Heh.  Would like to take credit, but no--at least not consciously.

Sometimes the PANKboard works in your favor.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #936 on: September 24, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 24, 2018, 01:56:12 PM
the World Series broke my fandom a little bit. I just don't get worked up anymore like I used to.

This happened to me.  I was disappointed after game 7 in 1945.  But I assumed that we would win the Series in the following year.  When we didn't I then assumed we would win the next year.  As you know, things went downhill from there, especially in 1969.  But 2016 changed everything.  I was off the hook.  When they won the Series in 2016 my feeling was more one of relief than elation.  I assume that the Cubs will be a winning team, but the world will keep turning...one way or the other.

Winning in 2016 has made me far less angsty about the playoffs. It is so much easier to accept the cold, random, cruel luck of October when your team already won that lottery once. Weirdly enough I'd get more pissed about the Cubs flat out not winning the division than not winning a division series. I can accept weird shit happening and losing even to those fucking Brewers in a best 3/5 situation, I could not have tolerated fucking away the division over 162 games to either of the two inferior teams chasing them. Losing that NLCS last year didn't even remotely phase me.

Weird, I know, but true.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #937 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2018, 03:35:02 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 24, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

Winning in 2016 has made me far less angsty about the playoffs. It is so much easier to accept the cold, random, cruel luck of October when your team already won that lottery once. Weirdly enough I'd get more pissed about the Cubs flat out not winning the division than not winning a division series. I can accept weird shit happening and losing even to those fucking Brewers in a best 3/5 situation, I could not have tolerated fucking away the division over 162 games to either of the two inferior teams chasing them. Losing that NLCS last year didn't even remotely phase me.

Weird, I know, but true.

I think I'm the same? Losing the division to the other slapdicks in this division would piss me off royally, but playoffs are a crapshoot. Last year sucked, but didn't crush me.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #938 on: September 24, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
Cool, cool

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #939 on: September 25, 2018, 09:18:20 PM »
Score some gotdamn motherfucking runs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #940 on: September 29, 2018, 10:07:02 PM »
*fart*
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #941 on: September 29, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 29, 2018, 10:07:02 PM
*fart*

There was, what, a single earned run in that entire Brewers game? Shit, I'm more pissed off that they didn't show the sausage race.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

The Big Cheese

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #942 on: October 01, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »
HIT. SCORE RUNS. JFC.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #943 on: October 01, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »
Counting today, the Cubs scored zero or one run 39 times. Only the Orioles (40) did so more times.