News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Nixonland  ( 22,064 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Nixonland
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 10:00:40 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 13, 2010, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 13, 2010, 09:31:44 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 13, 2010, 08:37:50 AM
Nixon wasn't prejudiced, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/us/politics/11nixon.html

QuoteIn a conversation Feb. 13, 1973, with Charles W. Colson, a senior adviser who had just told Nixon that he had always had "a little prejudice," Nixon said he was not prejudiced but continued: "I've just recognized that, you know, all people have certain traits."

"The Jews have certain traits," he said. "The Irish have certain — for example, the Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks. Particularly the real Irish."

Nixon continued: "The Italians, of course, those people course don't have their heads screwed on tight. They are wonderful people, but," and his voice trailed off.

A moment later, Nixon returned to Jews: "The Jews are just a very aggressive and abrasive and obnoxious personality."

I laughed.

For the record--and this can be affirmed by many morans here--I have always been a happy drunk.

So you're only a prick when you're sober?

Yeah. 

Strange, innit?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 13, 2010, 10:00:40 AM

QuoteIn a conversation Feb. 13, 1973, with Charles W. Colson, a senior adviser who had just told Nixon that he had always had "a little prejudice," Nixon said he was not prejudiced but continued: "I've just recognized that, you know, all people have certain traits."

"The Jews have certain traits," he said. "The Irish have certain — for example, the Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks. Particularly the real Irish."

Nixon continued: "The Italians, of course, those people course don't have their heads screwed on tight. They are wonderful people, but," and his voice trailed off.

A moment later, Nixon returned to Jews: "The Jews are just a very aggressive and abrasive and obnoxious personality."

I laughed.

For the record--and this can be affirmed by many morans here--I have always been a happy drunk.

Yeah. 

Strange, innit?

[Gil]You're like the evil Huey from the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of Desipio.[/Gil]
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
Quote from: Bort on December 13, 2010, 10:07:56 AM

I laughed.

Yeah. 

Strange, innit?

[Gil]You're like the evil Huey from the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of Desipio.[/Gil]

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 13, 2010, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 13, 2010, 10:07:56 AM

I laughed.

Yeah. 

Strange, innit?

(||)?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

I laughed.

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
No clowns here, but still awesome.

I think I've found the manifestation of Gil's id.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on April 12, 2011, 08:45:05 PM
No clowns here, but still awesome.

I think I've found the manifestation of Gil's id.

Holy shit I have to watch that.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
So I finally have time to pick this back up now that my route to work involves a lengthier public commute. I'm about to enter the Watergate era.

What is it, again, that Gil finds so attractive about this man?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 18, 2011, 09:31:32 AM
So I finally have time to pick this back up now that my route to work involves a lengthier public commute. I'm about to enter the Watergate era.

The jowls.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »

All of it; the good and the bad. I could write a lengthy response if you wish.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:29 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 19, 2011, 12:19:57 AM

That would be a game changer.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 19, 2011, 12:19:57 AM

Let me sum it up in one picture:

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
Finally finished this the other day. Great, great book. I know the author is liberal but he certainly doesn't paint a happy picture of the Democrats. I actually really enjoyed the last sections of the book where they talked about McGovern's campaign. My only real memory of anything about McGovern was that episode of the Wonder Years were Kevin Arnold campaigns heavily for him and they find out he got massacred.

I wouldn't hate reading other books about presidential candidates that had dreadful failures for campaigns.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 12, 2011, 09:48:44 AM
Finally finished this the other day. Great, great book. I know the author is liberal but he certainly doesn't paint a happy picture of the Democrats. I actually really enjoyed the last sections of the book where they talked about McGovern's campaign. My only real memory of anything about McGovern was that episode of the Wonder Years were Kevin Arnold campaigns heavily for him and they find out he got massacred.

I wouldn't hate reading other books about presidential candidates that had dreadful failures for campaigns.

I don't see that you posted at all in the HST thread, so I'd recommend you read "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" and follow that up with The Great Shark Hunt (first volume of the Gonzo Papers).

This is CT endorsed, Apex approved reading.

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=7564.0

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
Quote from: CT III on May 12, 2011, 10:57:37 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 12, 2011, 09:48:44 AM

I don't see that you posted at all in the HST thread, so I'd recommend you read "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" and follow that up with The Great Shark Hunt (first volume of the Gonzo Papers).

This is CT endorsed, Apex approved reading.

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=7564.0

Jesus, yes. Adding to my list right now.