News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Nixonland  ( 22,064 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Nixonland
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »
Anyone read this? Gil, I'm casting a glance in your direction.

Nixonland at Amazon.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Nixonland
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »
How have I not responded to this post?  Yes, I have read it, and yes it is good.  I have many critiques, mostly my center-right potshots at what I know is the author's known liberal proclivities.  On the whole, however, it is a decent synopsis of the era through the prism of today's politics.  There are parts where I differ, but on the whole, it is a pretty good launching pad for the debate about the issues.  It's certainly not an entirely dispassionate academic treatment, but it is good for what it is.

Solid B+, I'd say.

One caveat, it is like 700 pages, so devote some time.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:35:53 AM »
Outstanding book. Especially if you're a librul dope like me who was pretty un-learn-ed about recent history (Gil was right that the author leans to the left). The book covers 1964 to 1972, a period during which it appears the country was just about ripped in half due to the conflicts over hippies, yippies, brutal cops, Black Panthers, Weathermen, civil rights, school integration, welfare, Vietnam, and Stew's 50th birthday.

As for Nixon - on the good side of the ledger he was an extremely skilled politician. And he wasn't stubborn ideologically (at least when it suited him politically). But god damn was he a venal, paranoid, rotten motherfucker.

The author mentions at the end that Bob Dole eulogized Nixon by saying that the second half of the 20th century was "the age of Nixon." Dole was right - whether or not you think this is a good thing is another question.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
Got the hardcover shipped over from Amazon for 15 bucks. Good deal. Really enjoying it so far - the 60s and 70s are fascinating. Which brings me to my next question...see new thread.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
Nixon was a Juggalo?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 16, 2010, 05:21:45 PM
Nixon was a Juggalo?
Certainly explains why his biggest fan lives in Peoria.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/us/politics/07nixon.html

QuoteYORBA LINDA, Calif. — The sign at the entrance to the largest exhibition room devoted to a single subject at the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum reads "Watergate." But on Friday, the exhibit was nearly empty, dominated by a 30-foot blank slate of a wall that is testimony to a new battle set off by this still-polarizing former president: how to mark the scandal that forced him from office 36 years ago.

Officials at the National Archives have curated a searing recollection of the Watergate scandal, based on videotaped interviews with 150 associates of Richard M. Nixon, an interactive exhibition that was supposed to have opened on July 1. But the Nixon Foundation — a group of Nixon loyalists who controlled this museum until the National Archives took it over three years ago — described it as unfair and distorted, and requested that the archives not approve the exhibition until its objections are addressed.

First on their list: a distressing lack of clowns.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2010, 04:45:19 PM

QuoteYORBA LINDA, Calif. — The sign at the entrance to the largest exhibition room devoted to a single subject at the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum reads "Watergate." But on Friday, the exhibit was nearly empty, dominated by a 30-foot blank slate of a wall that is testimony to a new battle set off by this still-polarizing former president: how to mark the scandal that forced him from office 36 years ago.

Officials at the National Archives have curated a searing recollection of the Watergate scandal, based on videotaped interviews with 150 associates of Richard M. Nixon, an interactive exhibition that was supposed to have opened on July 1. But the Nixon Foundation — a group of Nixon loyalists who controlled this museum until the National Archives took it over three years ago — described it as unfair and distorted, and requested that the archives not approve the exhibition until its objections are addressed.

NIXONETTE DOWN

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »

The rest of the museum is still fantastic.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:56:33 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 09, 2010, 07:08:32 AM

A Nixon museum without Watergate is like a Superman museum without a phonebooth.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 09:12:43 AM »
Quote from: Fork on August 09, 2010, 08:56:33 AM

A Nixon museum without Watergate is like a Superman museum without a phonebooth Kryptonite.

Nice analogy, Chork'd.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »

Probably because of all the clowns.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 09, 2010, 11:11:02 AM

Probably because of all the clowns.

They ignore Watergate, but celebrate Nixon's SELLOUT to Big Circus?
TIME TO POST!