News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,560 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #810 on: December 22, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 22, 2009, 10:44:55 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2009, 10:41:58 AM

Trading Carlos Zambrano would be the most idiotic thing the Cubs could do since letting Greg Maddux walk.

That is all.

What's the opposite of THIS?

Not This?

Trading Zambrano really wouldn't be that bad unless Hendry is the one who does it.
This team is not 1 Zambrano away from a World Series...as long as the right architect was handling it, a rebuilding wouldn't look so bad.

Suppose you were clearing salary, and were going to use the same amount of money to acquire players.

That amount of money wouldn't get you anyone near the quality of Zambrano...this was the same logic the Cubs tried to apply by getting 3 players for the amount of money it would have taken to keep Maddux.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #811 on: December 22, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2009, 10:49:46 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 22, 2009, 10:44:55 AM

Trading Carlos Zambrano would be the most idiotic thing the Cubs could do since letting Greg Maddux walk.

That is all.

What's the opposite of THIS?

Not This?

Trading Zambrano really wouldn't be that bad unless Hendry is the one who does it.
This team is not 1 Zambrano away from a World Series...as long as the right architect was handling it, a rebuilding wouldn't look so bad.

Suppose you were clearing salary, and were going to use the same amount of money to acquire players.

That amount of money wouldn't get you anyone near the quality of Zambrano...this was the same logic the Cubs tried to apply by getting 3 players for the amount of money it would have taken to keep Maddux.

If you were clearing salary then why would you take the exact same salary and reallocate it?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #812 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2009, 10:49:46 AM
That amount of money wouldn't get you anyone near the quality of Zambrano.

Zambrano is going to make between $17-20 million a year during the rest of his contract.  You don't think that amount could be used to get a player better than Zambrano?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #813 on: December 22, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »

That is all.

If they traded him for Carlos Silva or Victor Zambrano, yes.  But until you see what return they could get, I think you might just be acting a tad bit reactionary.
Hire Jim Essian!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #814 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »
Not to take away from the Zambrano conversation, but I posted something in the SBox over the weekend while I was drunk.  I read that Orlando Cabrera is still on the market.  Now, he's 35 years old and it's probably not ideal, but if the Cubs were planning to move Theriot (assuming they wanted to keep him) to 2B, would it be decent to throw Cabrera a one-year (with maybe a second option year) and let him play SS while Castro plays AAA ball?

Cabrera made $4MM last year and probably can't ask for more.  Rotoworld said his defense "fell of a cliff" recently, but looking back at his 2009 faggy stats, his range factors were above the league averages.  He did hit .284, but his OBP was a miserable .316.  I'm spitballing here...this may be all kinds of terrible.  But why not get more terrible?  I thought that was the idea this offseason.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #815 on: December 22, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 22, 2009, 11:12:46 AM

That is all.

If they traded him for Carlos Silva or Victor Zambrano, yes.  But until you see what return they could get, I think you might just be acting a tad bit reactionary.

The only way you replace Carlos Zambrano is with an equal or better pitcher than Zambrano, which no team would trade for Zambrano.

Of my many faults, being reactionary generally isn't among them.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #816 on: December 22, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2009, 11:37:54 AM

That is all.

The only way you replace Carlos Zambrano is with an equal or better pitcher than Zambrano, which no team would trade for Zambrano.

Why couldn't they replace him with 3 solid prospects?
I know Hendry couldn't do it, but it certainly could be done.

I bet that dude in Seattle could do it.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #817 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51:27 AM »

That is all.

It's basically a question of whether or not you think this team, with a few modifications, can win a title in the next 3 to 4 years.

If you don't think that's gonna hai, it would make sense to blow the fucker up and trade guys like Z and Lee. As Pen mentioned before though, Hendry is not the guy you want in charge of a fire sale. So until we get through this year and find out if Jimbo is keeping his job, we've got a team of highly paid veterans that's pretty good. But probably not good enough to win a World Series. Which is all that matters.

(That's the lizardly cold-blooded point of view. My irrational manboner for Z gets angry at the mere mention of trading him.)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #818 on: December 22, 2009, 12:02:38 PM »
Quote from: R-V on December 22, 2009, 11:51:27 AM

That is all.

It's basically a question of whether or not you think this team, with a few modifications, can win a title in the next 3 to 4 years.

Zambrano should still be one of the top pitchers in baseball beyond that time period. As Kerm or Andy said in the pumpkin patch last week, it's easy to forget he's 28 - if you believe his birth certificate.

You can move him for prospects, which are always a crap shoot, or stick with a player who has already panned out - not to mention, you trade Zambrano, you lose E-Ramis, since he has an opt-out after the upcoming season, which he will no doubt exercise. You don't think he's going to waste the prime of his career on a rebuilding team, do you?

So you trade Zambrano for prospects. Find a team willing to take Lee, or let him walk after this season. You can probably find a taker for Theriot. Once Lilly is healthy, you can move him. That leaves you with a roster of players whose salaries make them unmovable (Dempster, Fukudome, Soriano), and a bunch of back-of-the-rotation starters and bottom-of-the-lineup position players.

And Marmol as your closer, which will do you a fat lot of fucking good since he'll only get about 25 save opportunities a year.
TIME TO POST!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #819 on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 22, 2009, 09:43:51 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 22, 2009, 09:02:02 AM
DPD:

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, the Braves are prepared to send Javier Vazquez and LHP Boone Logan to the Yankees for outfielder Melky Cabrera, LHP Mike Dunn and a prospect.

The unnamed "prospect" may be RHP Arodys Vizcaino, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. In one fell swoop, the Yanks have acquired an excellent starter and freed up a spot in their outfield for a top free agent. Logan, 24, had a 5.19 ERA and 1.73 WHIP in 17 1/3 innings for the Braves this season. Dunn, who's also 24 and is headed to Atlanta, posted a 3.31 ERA and 1.41 WHIP between Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Cabrera, 25, hit .274/.336/.416 in 2009 with 13 home runs, 28 doubles, 10 stolen bases and 68 RBI in 485 at-bats.

So this means....

The Yankees probably have the best rotation in baseball.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #820 on: December 22, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »

If you don't think that's gonna hai, it would make sense to blow the fucker up and trade guys like Z and Lee.

You realize that you not only ruined the rest of this day, but perhaps the rest of the time that I have left.  If only I were a White Sux fan at least I would have had two World Series apearances and one championship in the last 60 years.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #821 on: December 22, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 22, 2009, 12:48:56 PM

If you don't think that's gonna hai, it would make sense to blow the fucker up and trade guys like Z and Lee.

You realize that you not only ruined the rest of this day, but perhaps the rest of the time that I have left.  If only I were a White Sux fan at least I would have had two World Series apearances and one championship in the last 60 years.

Sorry, Stew. If you give me your address I'll send you a new onion and belt as penance.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #822 on: December 22, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2009, 12:02:38 PM
You can move him for prospects, which are always a crap shoot, or stick with a player who has already panned out - not to mention, you trade Zambrano, you lose E-Ramis, since he has an opt-out after the upcoming season, which he will no doubt exercise. You don't think he's going to waste the prime of his career on a rebuilding team, do you?

Yes.  I think he actually likes Chicago and likes playing here.  Whether the Cubs are smart enough to keep him is an entirely different question.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #823 on: December 22, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 22, 2009, 11:14:11 AM
Not to take away from the Zambrano conversation, but I posted something in the SBox over the weekend while I was drunk.  I read that Orlando Cabrera is still on the market.  Now, he's 35 years old and it's probably not ideal, but if the Cubs were planning to move Theriot (assuming they wanted to keep him) to 2B, would it be decent to throw Cabrera a one-year (with maybe a second option year) and let him play SS while Castro plays AAA ball?

Cabrera made $4MM last year and probably can't ask for more.  Rotoworld said his defense "fell of a cliff" recently, but looking back at his 2009 faggy stats, his range factors were above the league averages.  He did hit .284, but his OBP was a miserable .316.  I'm spitballing here...this may be all kinds of terrible.  But why not get more terrible?  I thought that was the idea this offseason.

I wouldn't mind doing that, just so I don't have to watch Theriot play SS anymore, but I think it would be a lot better if they invested a little more money and got Felipe Lopez instead.  He can play all around the infield and outfield, plus he's a much, much better player than Cabrera at this point in his career.  In fact, they should sign Lopez regardless of who's at short.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #824 on: December 22, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 22, 2009, 02:09:59 PM
I think it would be a lot better if they invested a little more money and got Felipe Lopez instead.  He can play all around the infield and outfield, plus he's a much, much better player than Cabrera at this point in his career.  In fact, they should sign Lopez regardless of who's at short.

He's a perfect Hendry signing:
- Switch Hitter
- Plays 2B & Misc Positions
- Coming Off a Career Year
- Sucks Total Balls Defensively at 2B & Misc
- His Career Year Still Wasn't That Good

2/$20 or 3/$28 is the only question left...