News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,486 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #825 on: December 22, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
Quote from: Pre on December 22, 2009, 02:49:31 PM
Quote from: Weebs on December 22, 2009, 02:09:59 PM
I think it would be a lot better if they invested a little more money and got Felipe Lopez instead.  He can play all around the infield and outfield, plus he's a much, much better player than Cabrera at this point in his career.  In fact, they should sign Lopez regardless of who's at short.

He's a perfect Hendry signing:
- Switch Hitter
- Plays 2B & Misc Positions
- Coming Off a Career Year
- Sucks Total Balls Defensively at 2B & Misc
- His Career Year Still Wasn't That Good

2/$20 or 3/$28 is the only question left...

I think the Hendry Sliding Scale is one year and $4MM/per more than anyone else offers.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #826 on: December 22, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 22, 2009, 11:14:11 AM
Not to take away from the Zambrano conversation, but I posted something in the SBox over the weekend while I was drunk.  I read that Orlando Cabrera is still on the market.  Now, he's 35 years old and it's probably not ideal, but if the Cubs were planning to move Theriot (assuming they wanted to keep him) to 2B, would it be decent to throw Cabrera a one-year (with maybe a second option year) and let him play SS while Castro plays AAA ball?

Cabrera made $4MM last year and probably can't ask for more.  Rotoworld said his defense "fell of a cliff" recently, but looking back at his 2009 faggy stats, his range factors were above the league averages.  He did hit .284, but his OBP was a miserable .316.  I'm spitballing here...this may be all kinds of terrible.  But why not get more terrible?  I thought that was the idea this offseason.

I wouldn't mind doing that, just so I don't have to watch Theriot play SS anymore, but I think it would be a lot better if they invested a little more money and got Felipe Lopez instead.  He can play all around the infield and outfield, plus he's a much, much better player than Cabrera at this point in his career.  In fact, they should sign Lopez regardless of who's at short.

C'mon, Weebs.  All around the outfield?  He's been in the majors for 8 seasons and has a total of 17 games (109 innings) in the outfield.  Not to mention no games at SS in 2009 and 13 games (29 innings) in 2008.  He did, however, play 111 games (927 innings) at SS in 2007, where his range factor was below league average.

Did I do that right?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #827 on: December 22, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 22, 2009, 03:36:06 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 22, 2009, 11:14:11 AM
Not to take away from the Zambrano conversation, but I posted something in the SBox over the weekend while I was drunk.  I read that Orlando Cabrera is still on the market.  Now, he's 35 years old and it's probably not ideal, but if the Cubs were planning to move Theriot (assuming they wanted to keep him) to 2B, would it be decent to throw Cabrera a one-year (with maybe a second option year) and let him play SS while Castro plays AAA ball?

Cabrera made $4MM last year and probably can't ask for more.  Rotoworld said his defense "fell of a cliff" recently, but looking back at his 2009 faggy stats, his range factors were above the league averages.  He did hit .284, but his OBP was a miserable .316.  I'm spitballing here...this may be all kinds of terrible.  But why not get more terrible?  I thought that was the idea this offseason.

I wouldn't mind doing that, just so I don't have to watch Theriot play SS anymore, but I think it would be a lot better if they invested a little more money and got Felipe Lopez instead.  He can play all around the infield and outfield, plus he's a much, much better player than Cabrera at this point in his career.  In fact, they should sign Lopez regardless of who's at short.

C'mon, Weebs.  All around the outfield?  He's been in the majors for 8 seasons and has a total of 17 games (109 innings) in the outfield.  Not to mention no games at SS in 2009 and 13 games (29 innings) in 2008.  He did, however, play 111 games (927 innings) at SS in 2007, where his range factor was below league average.

Did I do that right?

Nope, you still posted.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #828 on: December 28, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
Who's ready for more Cub-induced depression?

QuoteThe Cubs have interest in free agent right-hander Jose Contreras, according to ESPN Chicago's Bruce Levine.

Chicago has spoken to Contreras' agent, Jaime Torres. If signed, he would slot in the back of the rotation or as a long man out of the bullpen. Levine's report also said Cubs general manager Jim Hendry's top two free agent outfield targets are Marlon Byrd and Scott Podsednik, in that order. The Cubs have also spoken to the Rockies about a possible swap for Ryan Spilborghs, who would slot in as a versatile fourth outfielder, a role previously held by Reed Johnson.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #829 on: December 28, 2009, 04:09:01 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 28, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

QuoteThe Cubs have interest in free agent right-hander Jose Contreras, according to ESPN Chicago's Bruce Levine.

Chicago has spoken to Contreras' agent, Jaime Torres. If signed, he would slot in the back of the rotation or as a long man out of the bullpen. Levine's report also said Cubs general manager Jim Hendry's top two free agent outfield targets are Marlon Byrd and Scott Podsednik, in that order. The Cubs have also spoken to the Rockies about a possible swap for Ryan Spilborghs, who would slot in as a versatile fourth outfielder, a role previously held by Reed Johnson.

The sooner you accept the inevitability of the Scotty Pods signing, the sooner you can start getting over the crushing depression that will accompany it.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #830 on: December 28, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 28, 2009, 04:09:01 PM

The sooner you accept the inevitability of the Scotty Pods signing, the sooner you can start getting over the crushing depression that will accompany it.

I'd rather have Pods than Ankiel. Pods will at least get hurt or hardly ever play. Ankiel can at least handle CF - I think. If you have statmankissery to refute this, that's cool. But I can envision his soul crushing presence in the outfield where a sea of curses launched by someone who looks and sounds like once rained down from the stands on one of the best days I've ever had. So, I mean, he'd ruin that shit too. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #831 on: December 28, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 28, 2009, 04:09:01 PM

What can be more ignominious than to "need" a player that the Sux don't want anymore?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #832 on: December 28, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
Why the hell don't they just re-sign Johnson?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #833 on: December 28, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »
Time to Mark your calenders for September 21-23:

QuoteMark DeRosa has completed a physical with the Giants, reports Jayson Stark of ESPN.com.
If he passes, DeRosa is expected to sign a two-year deal worth around $12 million. The Giants no doubt want a full report on DeRosa's wrist after he underwent surgery in October to repair a torn tendon sheath. He's expected to be ready for spring training. DeRosa batted .250/.319/.433 with 23 homers, 23 doubles and 78 RBI this past season.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #834 on: December 28, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on December 28, 2009, 05:01:28 PM

Because he's not very good?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #835 on: December 28, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

Intrepid Reader: Donnie

What do they need that for, Dude?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #838 on: December 28, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 28, 2009, 05:32:32 PM

Because he's not very good?

Well, besides that...

Hell, he's better than Scotty Fabulous.

Pods does get points for having a smoking hot wife though.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #839 on: December 28, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »