News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 590,971 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4320 on: October 23, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
...I kind of wished Joe brought in Wood to close out the game, since he & Rizzo are the only holdovers from when they hit bottom.

Then I remembered what Joe puts on every lineup card - DBAFF - Don't Be A Fucking Fan.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4321 on: October 23, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 23, 2016, 05:06:51 AM
... I'm still totes emosh.  As many of you will discover when you drag yourselves out of your pits this morning, the feeling doesn't go away: I've been randomly tearing up all morning.

Yeah, I've found myself teetering, trying to hold back several times this morning.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4322 on: October 23, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 23, 2016, 05:06:51 AM
... I'm still totes emosh.  As many of you will discover when you drag yourselves out of your pits this morning, the feeling doesn't go away: I've been randomly tearing up all morning.

I've been in and out of tears all morning and even now.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4323 on: October 23, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 23, 2016, 11:16:36 AM
After the dropped fly ball in the first, the nerves were gone.  Actually a relaxing experience.

That was basically me. By the time they got a lead it was clear Hendricks was lights-out -- the homers from Contreras and Rizzo were just gravy. The game almost felt like it went too fast.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4324 on: October 23, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 23, 2016, 01:22:28 PM
After the dropped fly ball in the first, the nerves were gone.  Actually a relaxing experience.

That was basically me. By the time they got a lead it was clear Hendricks was lights-out -- the homers from Contreras and Rizzo were just gravy. The game almost felt like it went too fast.

Hendricks was absolutely incredible. I am in awe of this kid.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4325 on: October 23, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 23, 2016, 01:31:11 PM

Hendricks was absolutely incredible. I am in awe of this kid.

First off, I'd have been totally fine with Baez getting sole MVP. But if you're going to give Lester co-NLCS MVP, I don't see how you can exclude Hendricks from that. One run allowed on 5 hits over 12.2 IP.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4326 on: October 23, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 23, 2016, 12:41:15 AM
...I really thought I'd cry more than this.

These.

Maybe it's that last night wound up being remarkably drama free and felt more like fait accompli than anything else.

Maybe it's because, relatedly, our expectations for this year's team have given me 7 months to quietly work out the demons.

Maybe it's because it's "just" the pennant and there's work yet to be done, or because the full impact still hasn't set for me in yet.

But, whatever the reason (maybe all of the above), for me last night was more an experience of serene satisfaction than the cathartic release I expected.

Now to see what the next week-plus holds in store...
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4327 on: October 23, 2016, 02:43:48 PM »
I got a few texts from my Cardinal fan good friend about halfway through the game. He was genuinely happy for me, and asking me how I was feeling. I told him I wasn't relaxed yet, and I'd believe it when it was over, but I was lying. I was really relaxed, but couldn't admit it. It was odd. I expected to be a nervous wreck, but I wasn't. This team is different.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4328 on: October 23, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »
The only time I've ever cried regarding the Cubs was when Harry Caray died. And I have a ton of respect for all of you for being overcome with emotion, and sharing that fact. You are, generally, upstanding gentlemen.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4329 on: October 24, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
The waterworks hadn't hardly hit me at all.  My eyes actually started to well with 1 out in the 9th when I turned and looked at my dad, but the suddenness of the final 2 outs caught me a little off-guard.  I was glad I was with the Old Man but it turned out to not be as emotional as I anticipated, and I think that's because the whole thing simply  hasn't hit me--even though (or possibly because) I've visualized this tens of thousands of times and have been more than ready (I talked to my dad yesterday and he feels similarly). I mean there were times, yesterday, when I would hear a clip or see a highlight and get the feels, so I think I'm getting there but the whole thing still has me in the numb, surreal state for whatever reason.

Chuck D.--great fucking story.  

Slak--sorry to hear about your situation; glad you're surrounded by friends--and THIS.  FUCKING. TEAM-- to get you through it.

BC--fuck off.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4330 on: October 24, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
DPD

I will now confess that when Hendricks was pulled, I was quietly PANICKING because FIVE OUTS TO GO.  That 4-6-3 to end the 8th will go down as one of my favorite plays as it got me, as a fan, over the psychic hump.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4331 on: October 24, 2016, 07:20:04 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 24, 2016, 07:13:38 AM
The waterworks hadn't hardly me at all.  My eyes actually started to well with 1 out in the 9th when I turned and looked at my dad, but the suddenness of the final 2 outs caught me a little off-guard.  I was glad I was with the Old Man but it turned out to not be as emotional as I anticipated, and I think that's because the whole thing simply  hasn't hit me--even though (or possibly because) I've visualized this tens of thousands of times and have been more than ready (I talked to my dad yesterday and he feels similarly). I mean there were times, yesterday, when I would hear a clip or see a highlight and get the feels, so I think I'm getting there but the whole thing still has me in the numb, surreal state for whatever reason.

Slak--sorry to hear about your situation; glad you're surrounded by friends--and THIS.  FUCKING. TEAM-- to get you through it.

BC--fuck off.

I'd just like to say that the waterworks hadn't hardly me at all, either.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4332 on: October 24, 2016, 07:53:32 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 24, 2016, 07:20:04 AM
The waterworks hadn't hardly me at all.  My eyes actually started to well with 1 out in the 9th when I turned and looked at my dad, but the suddenness of the final 2 outs caught me a little off-guard.  I was glad I was with the Old Man but it turned out to not be as emotional as I anticipated, and I think that's because the whole thing simply  hasn't hit me--even though (or possibly because) I've visualized this tens of thousands of times and have been more than ready (I talked to my dad yesterday and he feels similarly). I mean there were times, yesterday, when I would hear a clip or see a highlight and get the feels, so I think I'm getting there but the whole thing still has me in the numb, surreal state for whatever reason.

Slak--sorry to hear about your situation; glad you're surrounded by friends--and THIS.  FUCKING. TEAM-- to get you through it.

BC--fuck off.

Glad to have your support.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4333 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 24, 2016, 07:20:04 AM

BC--fuck off.

I've not been around much lately and have apparently missed some name changes. I was fairly certain that Cannonball Titcomb was Huey, but that pretty much sealed it.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4334 on: October 24, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 24, 2016, 07:19:03 AM
DPD

I will now confess that when Hendricks was pulled, I was quietly PANICKING because FIVE OUTS TO GO.  That 4-6-3 to end the 8th will go down as one of my favorite plays as it got me, as a fan, over the psychic hump.

Same here.  I felt all right all game and then a completely illogical, unreasonable part of me that I long thought was dead brought me dread and nervousness at teh beginning of the 8th.  I couldn't explain it...I'd completely hit the skids.  So much so, that the dude sitting in front of me gave me his full, remaining beer cause he thought "I'd needed it".  I chugged that thing.  Then Baez made that play off Kendrick's line drive and holy shit...

The emotion also didn't get to me after the game.  It was just euphoria and hugging a bunch of strangers and holy shit.  I stayed up till a good 2AM and all was good.  My dog woke me up the next morning at around 8AM and we got in the car to drive to the dog park.  Within 2 minutes of being in the car I heard Pat's call.  And that was that.  I've been a mess ever since, on and off.

If anyone hasn't heard Lin's Bin this morning on XRT, give it a listen at 6:30 tonight.  It took me a few minutes to get myself together as I drove in to work.