News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,302 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4335 on: October 24, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
Popping back in briefly before disappearing again until the world series is over, lest I make Tonk mad again, but the weirdest damn thing for me was that, despite refusing to say anything positive out loud while the game was going on, I was actually confident pretty much from the moment Javy turned that first inning DP. I just knew Kyle Hendricks was, at worst, going to match Kershaw pitch for pitch and they were going to pull it out in the end. Once they scored the 2nd run in the bottom of the first I definitely relaxed the rest of the way, up until, as Oleg said, that first out in the 8th inning. I was saying to myself "please, Christ, just let Hendricks get the 2nd out here right away and we can all breathe again", but fortunately Javy didn't keep us in suspense after that.

When they got that last out I made what had to be the weirdest scream/sobbing noise ever. My son jumped, the cat ran away. I hugged my wife. I hugged my son, who was very confused but mostly just glad that I was making no attempt to make him go to bed because I wanted him with me at that moment. I called my dad and choked out "THE CUBS ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES" and then had to just kind of hang up after that because words were hard. I thought of my grandpa and sobbed some more. I'm still thinking about him. The next five hours were a blur. I've listened to Pat's call maybe 30 times and I still can't handle it.

To Stew- God dammit, man. I'm barely able to process what this means for me, I can't take on the burden of processing what it means for you. I hope they've got four more wins for you more than anything in this world.

To Slak- Christ, man. I'm glad the Cubs are here for you right now.

Jesus. The Cubs are in the fucking world series. What a world.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #4336 on: October 24, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 24, 2016, 10:34:36 AMI was actually confident pretty much from the moment Javy turned that first inning DP.

That was my moment too. I turned to the friend watching with me and said "This is definitely happening. Right now, today." From that moment on, I was full-on Zen. Not even a doubt in my mind. And chalk me up as one of those guys who were strangely subdued when it was over. I just nodded my head, grinning ear to ear, and I might have fist-pumped. Then I just sat there silently, all fucking night, watching every single moment of postgame coverage spellbound, just soaking up every last drop.

Also, no offense or anything, but I just feel like I need to state for the record that you need to quit being a butthurt idiot here and resist the urge to miss out on sharing This Moment with the desipiots because Tonk said something that hurt your feelings. Sack up, man. Pull a Miggy and get the fuck over it.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4337 on: October 24, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on October 24, 2016, 11:23:15 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 24, 2016, 10:34:36 AMI was actually confident pretty much from the moment Javy turned that first inning DP.

That was my moment too. I turned to the friend watching with me and said "This is definitely happening. Right now, today." From that moment on, I was full-on Zen. Not even a doubt in my mind. And chalk me up as one of those guys who were strangely subdued when it was over. I just nodded my head, grinning ear to ear, and I might have fist-pumped. Then I just sat there silently, all fucking night, watching every single moment of postgame coverage spellbound, just soaking up every last drop.

Also, no offense or anything, but I just feel like I need to state for the record that you need to quit being a butthurt idiot here and resist the urge to miss out on sharing This Moment with the desipiots because Tonk said something that hurt your feelings. Sack up, man. Pull a Miggy and get the fuck over it.

I can absolutely see why people thought that was why I did it, but that wasn't it at all. I'll be back to celebrate when they do it, but it's precisely because of my own inability to not panic when things go wrong, etc that I've been staying away. Tonk is right, People don't want to hear my panicky dipshit nonsense and that's fine. I have twitter for a reason.

When we look back on the record of this postseason years from now, and I assume if they do win the whole fucking thing we'll just have Andy print out the entire transcript and bronze it, I really don't want "SKO Panicking, Part 17" followed by "Argument Regarding Proper Fan Etiquette Part 387 In Regards To SKO Panicking" to be part of that. I'll just keep my distance until there's no reason to do anything but celebrate.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4338 on: October 24, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 24, 2016, 07:19:03 AM
DPD

I will now confess that when Hendricks was pulled, I was quietly PANICKING because FIVE OUTS TO GO.  That 4-6-3 to end the 8th will go down as one of my favorite plays as it got me, as a fan, over the psychic hump.

Even though I wasn't all that actually worried in the game itself (it felt almost like a coronation more than anything else), I'm standing there watching Maddon come out and just start muttering about '5 outs' and 'cant figure out how to get more than 3 outs or pitch with baserunners.  Then Chapman induces the DP and it all got better fast.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4339 on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »
Saturday, I was satisfied that they finally won the pennant.

I'm no longer satisfied.  Win this fucking thing.  It's not a failure if they don't, but that doesn't mean I won't be crushed.

They're here.  Take the fucking flag.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4340 on: October 24, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 24, 2016, 02:05:50 PM

I'm no longer satisfied.  Win this fucking thing.  It's not a failure if they don't, but that doesn't mean I won't be crushed.

And they're young.

And they're all coming back next year.

Holy. Shit.
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4341 on: October 24, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »

Chuck has never been more right. Heady times these are.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4342 on: October 24, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 24, 2016, 02:09:19 PM

And they're young.

Holy. Shit.

+Schwarber

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4343 on: October 24, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »

And they're young.

Holy. Shit.

Sans Ross.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4344 on: October 24, 2016, 02:57:27 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 24, 2016, 02:10:04 PM

And they're young.

Holy. Shit.

+Schwarber

+a full season of Contreras
+Baez as a full time starter

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4345 on: October 24, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 24, 2016, 02:57:27 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on October 24, 2016, 02:10:04 PM

And they're young.

Holy. Shit.

+Schwarber

+a full season of Contreras
+Baez as a full time starter

Better for the off season discussion, because I think it's going to take some seriously creative juggling to get Baez in the lineup.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4346 on: October 24, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
My impression of the NLCS is that I saw the team go from the team of Banks, Santo, Jenkins and Williams to the team of Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Lester and Hendricks.  I lived with history for too long.  This is now.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4347 on: October 24, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 24, 2016, 03:31:10 PM
My impression of the NLCS is that I saw the team go from the team of Banks, Santo, Jenkins and Williams to the team of Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Lester and Hendricks.  I lived with history for too long.  This is now.

STEW. GOD DAMMIT. I HAD JUST STOPPED CRYING (this is a lie)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4348 on: October 24, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
Y'all, this Cubs team might be pretty good.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4349 on: October 24, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »

... as much as I really want the Cub's to finish this in four games, there is a part of me that doesn't want it to end and for it to go on as long as possible.

I know, I suck.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen