News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,325 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4485 on: January 14, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 14, 2017, 06:18:58 PM
...the appeal of "esports" is entirely lost on me.

At least the lexicological disaster could be seen coming from a mile away.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4486 on: January 20, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
...it's time for MLB to take ownership of the Steroid Era and put juicers in.

It's also time for the Cubs to officially welcome Sammy Sosa back to Wrigley Field. Whatever we think of him now, he made the Cubs fucking awesome.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4487 on: January 20, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on January 20, 2017, 11:26:50 AM

It's also time for the Cubs to officially welcome Sammy Sosa back to Wrigley Field. Whatever we think of him now, he made the Cubs fucking awesome.

I'd venture to say these are very popular opinions among the Desipio community.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4488 on: January 20, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 20, 2017, 12:26:55 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on January 20, 2017, 11:26:50 AM

I'd venture to say these are very popular opinions among the Desipio community.

I'm on board with this.
M'lady.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4489 on: January 20, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
... I am starting to become genuinely concerned for Thrillho's health.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4490 on: January 20, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
I want most juicers in (although I understand people taking exception to guys like Manny for failing a test AFTER the drug policy was implemented), and I want the Cubs to reconcile with Sammy, but I don't actually think Sammy is a HOF? He was an elite defender and baserunner when he couldn't hit, he was an elite hitter when he could no longer field, his insane peak years were all in the midst of the most bananas offensive era in baseball history.

He's not a guy I think would have been even close to a HOFer without the PEDs, so unlike Bonds I just don't know that I'd vote him in.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4491 on: January 20, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 20, 2017, 12:53:16 PM
I want most juicers in (although I understand people taking exception to guys like Manny for failing a test AFTER the drug policy was implemented), and I want the Cubs to reconcile with Sammy, but I don't actually think Sammy is a HOF? He was an elite defender and baserunner when he couldn't hit, he was an elite hitter when he could no longer field, his insane peak years were all in the midst of the most bananas offensive era in baseball history.

He's not a guy I think would have been even close to a HOFer without the PEDs, so unlike Bonds I just don't know that I'd vote him in.

He & McGwire saved baseball's ass. Put them in.

Hell, at some point they're going to have to open the doors anyway, especially given the David Ortiz lovefest of 2016. And it's a little tough to make an anti-cheating argument to keep them out of a shrine that includes Gaylord Perry, Don Sutton and Whitey Ford.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4492 on: January 21, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Sammy made the Cubs interesting, fun, and sometimes exciting, rarely very good and sure as shit even more rarely "fucking awesome"-- save for that 1 moment he took Urbina deep in Game 1.  He, himself was pretty fucking awesome for a 4-5 year window as the dude averaged over 60 homers a year between 1998 and 2001, but those teams were good-to-mediocre.

It comes down to his peak, which was insane, but began a little bit later in his career than most HOFer's, and was shorter-lived. The years around this peak were very good--and a couple were great--but is that enough?  The SLG #'s would get him in, but are obviously inflated relative to earlier and subsequent periods.  I am surprised he gets as little support as he does but I'm still not totally convinced, when you factor everything in, that he's worthy.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4493 on: January 21, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 20, 2017, 12:53:16 PM

In his 5 year peak he averaged 58 HRs and a 167 OPS+.

Obviously Hank Aaaron was really, really good for a lot longer period of time - but if you look at Aaron's '59 to '63 seasons - probably his 5 year peak - he had a 170 OPS+ over that period.

Sosa's peak numbers are impressive even when you take era into account.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4494 on: January 25, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »
...I am extremely obsessed with Brett, because I don't understand why he went with "Ten Yard Line" for his Bears site when "A Football Blog" was right there for the taking.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4495 on: January 25, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
...I have no idea how sending in the Feds is going to help the carnage.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4496 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 25, 2017, 08:22:59 PM

The Feds aren't there to create the carnage. The Feds are there to preserve the carnage.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4497 on: January 26, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 25, 2017, 08:37:00 PM

The Feds aren't there to create the carnage. The Feds are there to preserve the carnage.

Approved.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4498 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on January 26, 2017, 08:10:57 AM
Quote from: Bort on January 25, 2017, 08:37:00 PM

Approved.

If it makes you all feel better I'll be super mad online and listening to "Chicago" by Graham Nash while the Schutzstaffel puts the boots to your necks
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4499 on: January 26, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
... I laid a Dubbsian arm-wrestling defeat on a 14-year-old who was showing offf his muscles the day before yesterday. And then exceeded my authority by ordering him to trim his nightmarishly long nails.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!