News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,184 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4545 on: June 15, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 15, 2017, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: Oleg on June 15, 2017, 09:57:41 AM
Feel free to write off Jake at your own risk.  And Hendricks, too.  They're not tolerating your bullshit, you fucking pansies.

Jake hasn't been Cy Jake for about 300 innings now. Hendricks's fastball velocity is down almost 4 mph this year. These are real problems.

Yes.  I know.  But I'm not spending the next 97 games like some common playoffSKO.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4546 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 15, 2017, 10:18:13 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 15, 2017, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: Oleg on June 15, 2017, 09:57:41 AM
Feel free to write off Jake at your own risk.  And Hendricks, too.  They're not tolerating your bullshit, you fucking pansies.

Jake hasn't been Cy Jake for about 300 innings now. Hendricks's fastball velocity is down almost 4 mph this year. These are real problems.

Yes.  I know.  But I'm not spending the next 97 games like some common playoffSKO.

No, you'll spend them baked.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4547 on: June 20, 2017, 02:38:55 AM »
I can't quite figure out what Lana Berry's job is. It appears to be "reply to everything @MLB posts on any and all social media platforms." Which is a pretty great job, actually.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4548 on: June 26, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
Tonight's 5-4 win is why I love baseball.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4549 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 20, 2017, 02:38:55 AM
I can't quite figure out what Lana Berry's job is. It appears to be "reply to everything @MLB posts on any and all social media platforms." Which is a pretty great job, actually.

She shares an office with Slak.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4550 on: July 05, 2017, 11:04:50 PM »
I hate music videos that constantly interrupt the actual song for interludes, skits, other bullshit.  Let the dang song play, please.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4551 on: July 06, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
I care more about Eloy in the Futures Game than I do about whether or not Bryant makes the All Star game.
TIME TO POST!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4552 on: July 13, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

...my initial reaction to the Quintana trade was that I think the Cubs overpaid.

I now disagree with my initial reaction.

Good news is, however the trade breaks at the end, I'm wrong.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4553 on: July 13, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »
....Assuming his contract (which I think would be below market for the next two years) drives away other teams and his ERA starts to line up closer to his absolutely insanely good peripherals (seriously right now he has a 9.7 K/9 rate and the majors best K/BB ratio) am I crazy to think that actually trading some Candelario/Zagunis types for Samardzija to be their #5 might not be a terrible idea?

I know, I know. Sorry Jon.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4554 on: July 13, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2017, 11:57:38 AM
....Assuming his contract (which I think would be below market for the next two years) drives away other teams and his ERA starts to line up closer to his absolutely insanely good peripherals (seriously right now he has a 9.7 K/9 rate and the majors best K/BB ratio) am I crazy to think that actually trading some Candelario/Zagunis types for Samardzija to be their #5 might not be a terrible idea?

...I've had this thought before.  Even out loud on the webs.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4555 on: July 13, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 13, 2017, 01:32:22 PM

I think Snork signed 4/64 for the Giants, so two years of him making basically Lackey money, with Quintana locked up for about 9 million per, and Hendricks at minimum and then arb prices, gives you a lot of flexibility to either chase a Darvish for that last spot in the rotation or put Montgomery or something there and throw all of the money at Harper next year.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4556 on: July 13, 2017, 02:03:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2017, 01:38:47 PM

I think Snork signed 4/64 for the Giants, so two years of him making basically Lackey money, with Quintana locked up for about 9 million per, and Hendricks at minimum and then arb prices, gives you a lot of flexibility to either chase a Darvish for that last spot in the rotation or put Montgomery or something there and throw all of the money at Harper next year.

Or lock up the guys who are already here.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4557 on: July 13, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 13, 2017, 02:03:23 PM

I mean I'm not opposed to that but frankly I think the path to more titles is to pay money to guys who can add to this core and win in this window before 2021, not try to extend that window a little bit.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4558 on: July 13, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2017, 02:06:50 PM

I mean I'm not opposed to that but frankly I think the path to more titles is to pay money to guys who can add to this core and win in this window before 2021, not try to extend that window a little bit.

So why throw money at Harper when you're already paying over $20MM/per for a guy to play RF (albeit not at Harper's overall value), and then not have that money available for Bryant/Russell/Schwarber, who all come due at the same time?
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4559 on: July 13, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 13, 2017, 02:39:23 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2017, 02:06:50 PM

...I've had this thought before.  Even out loud on the webs.

So why throw money at Harper when you're already paying over $20MM/per for a guy to play RF (albeit not at Harper's overall value), and then not have that money available for Bryant/Russell/Schwarber, who all come due at the same time?

Quotefrankly I think the path to more titles is to pay money to guys who can add to this core and win in this window before 2021, not try to extend that window a little bit.

Because that. I just said that. I think the Cubs have a better shot at more titles if they try to build 100+ win teams between now and 2021 by adding on, rather than trying to re-sign Bryant/schwarber/Rizzo etc and try to field a buncha 90 win teams between now and let's say 2023/2024 before those guys start to get old and pretty shitty anyway.

Heyward's deal is sunk cost, if the money is there to sign Harper then sign him and move Heyward to center or left or eat cash and trade him. It doesn't matter, do whatever you can to squeeze every last win and title out of this group before the end of 2021.