News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,368 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4710 on: November 10, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 10, 2017, 10:05:18 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 10, 2017, 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 10, 2017, 08:23:09 AM
Quote from: Oleg on November 07, 2017, 09:31:22 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 06, 2017, 12:11:11 PM

Howard Cossell.  Cossell was the epitome of the broadcaster who made the event about him.  At first I resented that.  Then, when I realized that was his schtick, I was in on the gag and thought that it was entertaining.   Howard was a gasbag, but that was his mealticket.  People loved to hate Howard, and so he cried all the way to the bank.  Whether it was his nasal voice or his toupee, he didn't care, as long as you spelled his name right.

Interesting.  Like gonzo sportscasting.

Howard was also a Social Justice Warrior long before that became construed somehow as being bad.

This conversation got me to re-thinking Cosell and I read his Wiki entry to further remind me of his life and times and it made me wonder why there hasn't been a biopic of his life and times, considering he's been dead for over 20 years.  In the right hands, it would be quite a film.

There's an HBO documenary called "Telling It Like It Is", it's on YouTube.

Or just watch Monday Night Mayhem*.

*do not actually do this.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4711 on: November 10, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 10, 2017, 10:22:46 AM

Howard Cossell.  Cossell was the epitome of the broadcaster who made the event about him.  At first I resented that.  Then, when I realized that was his schtick, I was in on the gag and thought that it was entertaining.   Howard was a gasbag, but that was his mealticket.  People loved to hate Howard, and so he cried all the way to the bank.  Whether it was his nasal voice or his toupee, he didn't care, as long as you spelled his name right.

Howard was also a Social Justice Warrior long before that became construed somehow as being bad.

This conversation got me to re-thinking Cosell and I read his Wiki entry to further remind me of his life and times and it made me wonder why there hasn't been a biopic of his life and times, considering he's been dead for over 20 years.  In the right hands, it would be quite a film.

I'll give the documentary a look but I was thinking of a dramatized biopic.  I see, now, that Jon Voigt earned an Oscar nomination for portraying Cosell in "Ali" and even though Jon Voigt is a weird old fuck with unsettling political opinions I want to watch this movie now.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4712 on: November 10, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 10, 2017, 11:02:54 AM

I'll give the documentary a look but I was thinking of a dramatized biopic.  I see, now, that Jon Voigt earned an Oscar nomination for portraying Cosell in "Ali" and even though Jon Voigt is a weird old fuck with unsettling political opinions I want to watch this movie now.
This thread keeps meandering, so I will follow down the meander.  John Voigt is a fascinating study.  I was blown away (figuratively) by his performance in Midnight Cowboy, but less than impressed by almost everything that he did after that.  But his performance in Ray Donovan is incredibly good.  For those of you who are not subscribers to the premium channel, he plays a South Boston thug who is the patriarch of a family of thugs.  A villain to end villainy.  The cast of that show is great, but Voigt dominates every scene that his character is in.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4713 on: November 10, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 10, 2017, 11:53:57 AM

This thread keeps meandering, so I will follow down the meander.  John Voigt is a fascinating study.  I was blown away (figuratively) by his performance in Midnight Cowboy, but less than impressed by almost everything that he did after that.  But his performance in Ray Donovan is incredibly good.  For those of you who are not subscribers to the premium channel, he plays a South Boston thug who is the patriarch of a family of thugs.  A villain to end villainy.  The cast of that show is great, but Voigt dominates every scene that his character is in.

He's really good at his job.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4714 on: November 11, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 10, 2017, 12:48:13 PM
Quote from: CBStew on November 10, 2017, 11:53:57 AM

He's really good at his job.

Also, an unpleasant old cunt.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4715 on: December 20, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
SKO's constant fanboy tweeting about Star Wars makes me long for the days when he would lose his shit over a Cubs game in May.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4716 on: December 20, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
I really hope the Cubs don't trade Schwarber.

Russell for Machado, on the other hand, maybe?
M'lady.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4717 on: December 20, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 06, 2017, 10:56:38 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 06, 2017, 10:52:27 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 04, 2017, 03:06:55 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 04, 2017, 02:24:25 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 03, 2017, 05:33:04 AM
I've gradually gone from utterly abhorring Joe Buck to actually liking him.

Agreed. He's good at his job.

Same. He admitted he used to undersell big moments/plays because he was trying to emulate guys like Pat Summerall but he doesn't have that voice or gravitas and once he started to allow his own enthusiasm to show he really does a great job. I could have done w a lot less Lester Pick off Narrative last postseason but I think that was probably more a production note than a Buck issue

I'm not even treading into his technique but that's an interesting observation.   I mean, he's still a smarmy cockbag but there's something about how he seems to acknowledge this and almost plays it up now. Compared to the other Sons of Nepotism like Chip Caray (who is absolutely not human) and tHom Brenneman (who will never not take himself too seriously) there's an air of self-awareness about Buck these days that offsets his general smarminess and I don't find him nearly as objectionable as I once did.

He is extremely self-aware and cracks a lot of jokes about it (at one point his twitter bio included the line "I hate your favorite team", which I appreciated). I've also read before where, unlike our friend Chip, he kind of admits to getting his start by being Jack Buck's son and how hard he worked to differentiate himself and also take on basically every job he was offered to prove he was a hard worker and not just getting by on his name. He seems like a decent enough dude and I think he's good at his job.

Howard Cossell.  Cossell was the epitome of the broadcaster who made the event about him.  At first I resented that.  Then, when I realized that was his schtick, I was in on the gag and thought that it was entertaining.   Howard was a gasbag, but that was his mealticket.  People loved to hate Howard, and so he cried all the way to the bank.  Whether it was his nasal voice or his toupee, he didn't care, as long as you spelled his name right.

He did introduce the Bay City Rollers to the U.S., those lovable Australians.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4718 on: December 20, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 20, 2017, 11:56:39 AM

Same. He admitted he used to undersell big moments/plays because he was trying to emulate guys like Pat Summerall but he doesn't have that voice or gravitas and once he started to allow his own enthusiasm to show he really does a great job. I could have done w a lot less Lester Pick off Narrative last postseason but I think that was probably more a production note than a Buck issue

I'm not even treading into his technique but that's an interesting observation.   I mean, he's still a smarmy cockbag but there's something about how he seems to acknowledge this and almost plays it up now. Compared to the other Sons of Nepotism like Chip Caray (who is absolutely not human) and tHom Brenneman (who will never not take himself too seriously) there's an air of self-awareness about Buck these days that offsets his general smarminess and I don't find him nearly as objectionable as I once did.

He is extremely self-aware and cracks a lot of jokes about it (at one point his twitter bio included the line "I hate your favorite team", which I appreciated). I've also read before where, unlike our friend Chip, he kind of admits to getting his start by being Jack Buck's son and how hard he worked to differentiate himself and also take on basically every job he was offered to prove he was a hard worker and not just getting by on his name. He seems like a decent enough dude and I think he's good at his job.

Howard Cossell.  Cossell was the epitome of the broadcaster who made the event about him.  At first I resented that.  Then, when I realized that was his schtick, I was in on the gag and thought that it was entertaining.   Howard was a gasbag, but that was his mealticket.  People loved to hate Howard, and so he cried all the way to the bank.  Whether it was his nasal voice or his toupee, he didn't care, as long as you spelled his name right.

My wife was at that show "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE WITH HOWARD COSELL!!!" and they gave her a piece of plaid cloth to hold up.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4719 on: December 20, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 20, 2017, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 20, 2017, 11:56:39 AM

My wife was at that show "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE WITH HOWARD COSELL!!!" and they gave her a piece of plaid cloth to hold up.

There's something one doesn't hear every day; I only saw it on TV (and bought the first three U.S. albums). Fun fact: The original BCR Keep on Dancing, which I find more interesting than the later version, was due to The Gentrys, who performed it on Shindig! with the usual Sipi Tau.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4720 on: December 20, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 20, 2017, 02:22:53 PM

There's something one doesn't hear every day; I only saw it on TV (and bought the first three U.S. albums). Fun fact: The original BCR Keep on Dancing, which I find more interesting than the later version, was due to The Gentrys, who performed it on Shindig! with the usual Sipi Tau.

Ah, the Gentrys...they only had a one-minute song, so they faded out/in and ran the tape a second time. Also, featuring Jimmy "Mouth Of The South" Hart.
TIME TO POST!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4721 on: December 20, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on December 20, 2017, 09:57:04 AM
SKO's constant fanboy tweeting about Star Wars makes me long for the days when he would lose his shit over a Cubs game in May.
I was going to post a suggestion that SKO put up a warning "spoiler alert".  But, hell, I'm not going to go see that movie anyway.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4722 on: December 20, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »
If anyone else's twitter account bothered me as much as my twitter account bothers some of you losers, I'd unfollow, because guess what I really don't care.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4723 on: December 20, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 20, 2017, 02:56:37 PM
If anyone else's twitter account bothered me as much as my twitter account bothers some of you losers, I'd unfollow, because guess what I really don't care.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4724 on: December 20, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on December 20, 2017, 03:14:14 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 20, 2017, 02:56:37 PM

I'm not butthurt, I'm laughing at a man who voluntarily follows someone on a meaningless social media site complaining on a separate website yet again that he doesn't like what the first man is saying rather than just unfollowing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015