News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,367 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4770 on: February 20, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 20, 2018, 02:39:36 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on February 20, 2018, 01:23:39 PM
Quote from: Yeti on February 20, 2018, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 20, 2018, 11:23:48 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 20, 2018, 12:36:10 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 19, 2018, 09:07:42 PM
Quote from: Yeti on February 19, 2018, 06:55:05 PM
... the excessive social media love by (as I've observed by their previous postings) progressives for Black Panther feels a little too much of "Look at me, the Progressive, I like a movie with a black lead and balck director."

Maybe there's some awesomeness about this character/story that nerds will educate me on, but it feels like people are trying too hard

Just tired of hearing about it's blickety blackness are we

No, I'm just entertained by the overzealous love by people.

The fact that it's a pre-dominately black movie that's not a Tyler Perry flick is fantastic. The craze behind people posting on social media, that feels somewhat fake. That's my issue

I do think a lot of people think it's a genuinely really good movie?

It probably is. I just think people are, going to what Krut said, quick to pat themselves on the back for being progressive in their film watching. It is better than the alternative, but I find it to be a little too pander-y for my taste

Yeah. Technically, it's still a form of racism. "I see you're different, but I'm cool with it!" If that was true, you wouldn't feel the need to bring it up to begin with. I realize it's a generally awkward subject, and, in the grand scheme of things, there are things much worse than self-congratulatory "I see no colour, aren't I progressive" racism.

I haven't seen it yet, but did check out the first 5 minutes of Red Letter's review. They said it was a bit mundane for the first hour but closed well. Agree or disagree?

I'm going to see it this weekend. I plan to make eye contact with every minority in the theater, and give them a knowing nod out of solidarity should they acknowledge me.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4771 on: February 21, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on February 20, 2018, 05:51:39 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 20, 2018, 02:39:36 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on February 20, 2018, 01:23:39 PM
Quote from: Yeti on February 20, 2018, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 20, 2018, 11:23:48 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 20, 2018, 12:36:10 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 19, 2018, 09:07:42 PM
... the excessive social media love by (as I've observed by their previous postings) progressives for Black Panther feels a little too much of "Look at me, the Progressive, I like a movie with a black lead and balck director."

Maybe there's some awesomeness about this character/story that nerds will educate me on, but it feels like people are trying too hard

Just tired of hearing about it's blickety blackness are we

No, I'm just entertained by the overzealous love by people.

The fact that it's a pre-dominately black movie that's not a Tyler Perry flick is fantastic. The craze behind people posting on social media, that feels somewhat fake. That's my issue

I do think a lot of people think it's a genuinely really good movie?

It probably is. I just think people are, going to what Krut said, quick to pat themselves on the back for being progressive in their film watching. It is better than the alternative, but I find it to be a little too pander-y for my taste

Yeah. Technically, it's still a form of racism. "I see you're different, but I'm cool with it!" If that was true, you wouldn't feel the need to bring it up to begin with. I realize it's a generally awkward subject, and, in the grand scheme of things, there are things much worse than self-congratulatory "I see no colour, aren't I progressive" racism.

I haven't seen it yet, but did check out the first 5 minutes of Red Letter's review. They said it was a bit mundane for the first hour but closed well. Agree or disagree?

I'm going to see it this weekend. I plan to make eye contact with every minority in the theater, and give them a knowing nod out of solidarity should they acknowledge me.

I admit it--I laughed.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4772 on: February 21, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
But in all seriousness, I do live in one of the most multi-cultural cities in North America, which I think is awesome. It's definitely a different experience from my whitebread hometown. Just as an example, I'm teaching 25 kids this year. Of those 25, nine are white, which is actually an unusually high number for my school, it's usually three or four. And eight one of those nine kids are the children of immigrants, usually from Albania, although I've got a couple of kids whose parents were born in Ireland. The other kid is Portuguese-Greek, and her grandparents were immigrants. 
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4773 on: February 21, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on February 21, 2018, 09:31:48 AM
But in all seriousness, I do live in one of the most multi-cultural cities in North America, which I think is awesome. It's definitely a different experience from my whitebread hometown. Just as an example, I'm teaching 25 kids this year. Of those 25, nine are white, which is actually an unusually high number for my school, it's usually three or four. And eight one of those nine kids are the children of immigrants, usually from Albania, although I've got a couple of kids whose parents were born in Ireland. The other kid is Portuguese-Greek, and her grandparents were immigrants.

feels like you're trying a little too hard to show how cool it is that you are progressive and live in a multi-ethnic city. Guess who the racist is now, genious.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4774 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 21, 2018, 11:19:03 AM

feels like you're trying a little too hard to show how cool it is that you are progressive and live in a multi-ethnic city. Guess who the racist is now, genious.

...but! I mean! ...aw, shit. Guess I'm a White Sox fan now.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4775 on: February 21, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »

They even do Hockey Night in Canada in Punjabi, which I find to be almost as cool as "Speedy Singhs"*, a Bollywood-type movie about an all-Sikh hockey team, and features a musical number with Richard Kind riding an elephant.

*aka "Breakaway"
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4776 on: March 02, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »

I feel like Magary hits the nail on the head with his hater's guide:
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-2018-hater-s-guide-to-the-oscars-1823398267

QuoteI'm sorry Get Out, but now that Black Panther has come out I have a NEW movie to tout as evidence of my wokeness. As a suburbanite, I can only accommodate one such movie at a time. I've seen Black Panther three times now! I would MOVE to Wakanda if it were real! Sometimes I think about how strong Okoye was in that movie and I CAN'T EVEN!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4777 on: March 15, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
...as I get older, I find myself spending more idle time on Zillow looking at real estate in sunnier climes.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4778 on: March 21, 2018, 08:33:56 PM »
I am depressed.  I just got an email from my high school class alumni association.  It announced the date for out next reunion, adding that it will probably be the last.  What is going on?  Are the author of that email and me the last survivors?  Will one of us get a bottle of Napolean Brandy?  Worse yet, the reunion is for a weekday...for LUNCH!  What?  Am I supposed to be tucked in bed at 6:30 pm?  I am going to organize a reunion  at a strip club.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4779 on: March 22, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 21, 2018, 08:33:56 PM
I am depressed.  I just got an email from my high school class alumni association.  It announced the date for out next reunion, adding that it will probably be the last.  What is going on?  Are the author of that email and me the last survivors?  Will one of us get a bottle of Napolean Brandy?  Worse yet, the reunion is for a weekday...for LUNCH!  What?  Am I supposed to be tucked in bed at 6:30 pm?  I am going to organize a reunion  at a strip club.

You have Gil's attention.
TIME TO POST!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4780 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 21, 2018, 08:33:56 PM

Desippy Nomination
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4781 on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:22 AM »
... I have consumed an alarming quantity of PBR over the course of the day, worked four hours for $10 in the shelter, am sitting next to a very sweet tan cat who has been in a cage for G-d knows how long (whom I'm not supposed to touch for some reason, but that's not happening) and listening to I Shall Be Released from The Last Waltz, living in squalor, and see no light at the end of the tunnel, but I have been gripped by some weird optimism-shaped thing.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4782 on: May 21, 2018, 01:24:45 AM »
... I completely missed out on the part of Plato's Republic where he wants to get rid of lyrics.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4783 on: May 22, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 21, 2018, 01:24:45 AM
... I completely missed out on the part of Plato's Republic where he wants to get rid of lyrics.

How are you doing otherwise?
M'lady.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4784 on: May 22, 2018, 08:26:40 PM »
My wife is having major jaw surgery in a couple of days, and I'm terrified. It's not that I think rationally that anything bad will happen, but sometimes these things go wrong. The last time she had surgery, on her knee more than a decade ago, she developed a blood clot. I'm not usually negative about things like this, but it's hard to imagine how devastating this would be not only to our whole family, but especially to our soon-to-be four year old.

I'm also not particularly superstitious, but I've always believed that if I consider the worst case scenario, it's less likely to happen. But the next few days are going to be rough no matter what.
M'lady.