News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,186 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4965 on: January 18, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 18, 2019, 10:57:00 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 17, 2019, 09:18:57 AM
I love my job, but holy shit, the problems they are dealing with. Of our 45-or-so 8th graders, four have lost parents to tragedy. One's mother had an aneurysm seven years ago, and while she's still alive, she isn't remotely the person she was. We had the father of a student, and mother of another, both murdered in the span of 9 months. And one of my students is losing her mother to breast cancer.

That doesn't even factor in the number of absent fathers that many of them have. Way too much tragedy for kids who are just beginning their teenage years.

Are you still in Toronto or somewhere up north?

Toronto for life. We're actually in the process of a remodelling project on our house, which means I'll be back in the inlaw's basement for a solid year.

Technically I work at an inner city school, though it's in a nice neighborhood a good 3 miles out from the city core. You can see the CN Tower and some other buildings from one of the main avenues in the neighborhood, though.
M'lady.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4966 on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 18, 2019, 11:16:31 AM
I love my job, but holy shit, the problems they are dealing with. Of our 45-or-so 8th graders, four have lost parents to tragedy. One's mother had an aneurysm seven years ago, and while she's still alive, she isn't remotely the person she was. We had the father of a student, and mother of another, both murdered in the span of 9 months. And one of my students is losing her mother to breast cancer.

That doesn't even factor in the number of absent fathers that many of them have. Way too much tragedy for kids who are just beginning their teenage years.

Toronto for life. We're actually in the process of a remodelling project on our house, which means I'll be back in the inlaw's basement for a solid year.

Technically I work at an inner city school, though it's in a nice neighborhood a good 3 miles out from the city core. You can see the CN Tower and some other buildings from one of the main avenues in the neighborhood, though.

I was just there and will be back a few times this year. I typically stay at the Sheraton City Center, which is kind of fancy but that's where they keep booking me, so whatever.  Not far from Rogers Center...and apparently, a pretty cool dispensary although I haven't been yet.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4967 on: January 18, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 18, 2019, 12:02:24 PM

I was just there and will be back a few times this year. I typically stay at the Sheraton City Center, which is kind of fancy but that's where they keep booking me, so whatever.  Not far from Rogers Center...and apparently, a pretty cool dispensary although I haven't been yet.

You're talking about Cafe 66, which has a number of locations in the city, including on York Street near the Rogers Center. You should definitely check it out, but probably bring cash to play it safe.

There's also a pretty good BBQ place not too far from the Rogers Centre called Cherry Street BBQ. Look it up the next time you're in town - you'll be surprised, I think, at how authentic and tasty it is.

Let me know the next time you're in town - same thing goes for any of you who come to Toronto. I'd be happy to show you around/take you to one of our local restaurants so you can experience good food while you're here.
M'lady.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4968 on: January 18, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 18, 2019, 12:15:27 PM

You're talking about Cafe 66, which has a number of locations in the city, including on York Street near the Rogers Center. You should definitely check it out, but probably bring cash to play it safe.

There's also a pretty good BBQ place not too far from the Rogers Centre called Cherry Street BBQ. Look it up the next time you're in town - you'll be surprised, I think, at how authentic and tasty it is.

Let me know the next time you're in town - same thing goes for any of you who come to Toronto. I'd be happy to show you around/take you to one of our local restaurants so you can experience good food while you're here.

I rode on the chairlift with a guy who lives in Toronto yesterday.
Nice guy. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4969 on: January 18, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 18, 2019, 12:31:12 PM

Nice guy.

I was in Toronto on a high school trip in 1989 and remembering thinking, "This looks just like Chicago, but clean!"
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4970 on: January 18, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on January 18, 2019, 03:44:22 PM

Nice guy.

I was in Toronto on a high school trip in 1989 and remembering thinking, "This looks just like Chicago, but clean!"
My paternal grandparents fled Russia in 1902 and found themselves in Toronto.  They became Canadian citizens. Then they had second thoughts and moved to Chicago. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4971 on: January 18, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on January 18, 2019, 03:44:22 PM

Nice guy.

You should see it now. The city has had ridiculous growth in the near 17 years that I've been here. Too bad our metro is dog shit.
M'lady.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4972 on: January 20, 2019, 02:54:20 AM »
... It's 3 in the morning, and I'm listening to a program about snail husbandry.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4973 on: January 20, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 20, 2019, 02:54:20 AM
... It's 3 in the morning, and I'm listening to a program about snail husbandry.
least something something
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4974 on: January 21, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »
... in today's outrage and jump to conclusions society, I enjoyed seeing how that teenage kid thing was overblown. I agreed with the anti-kid sentiments, but I enjoyed all those getting indignant on social media and their indignation was bullshit

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4975 on: January 21, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2019, 09:32:12 AM
... in today's outrage and jump to conclusions society, I enjoyed seeing how that teenage kid thing was overblown. I agreed with the anti-kid sentiments, but I enjoyed all those getting indignant on social media and their indignation was bullshit

I think the kid comes off a bit more sympathetic than at first glance, but, regardless of his carefully crafted explanation, it's hard to see past that smirk on his face anytime I watch the video.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4976 on: January 21, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 21, 2019, 11:23:36 AM

I think the kid comes off a bit more sympathetic than at first glance, but, regardless of his carefully crafted explanation, it's hard to see past that smirk on his face anytime I watch the video.

Fuck him.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4977 on: January 21, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 21, 2019, 05:56:22 PM

Fuck him.

I concur with this.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4978 on: January 22, 2019, 01:51:20 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2019, 06:01:17 PM

Fuck him.

I concur with this.

Third.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4979 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 22, 2019, 01:51:20 AM
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2019, 06:01:17 PM

Fuck him.

I concur with this.

Third.

Fourth.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16