News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Road  ( 11,098 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Road
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »
An excellent read. It was also so depressing it made me want to jump off a 10 story conclusions mat.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Road
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 11, 2009, 09:12:02 AM
An excellent read. It was also so depressing it made me want to jump off a 10 story conclusions mat.

You know that there's a movie out about this, right?  It's got the dude from that desert horse race movie.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »
Jebus.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:05 PM »
This might be one of the greatest books I have ever read, and yet it left me in a constant dread in the 4 days that I was devouring it.  Just desperate, awful, evil, dangerous, starving, dead, bleak, truly hopeless shit, with a tiny poop-enveloped corn kernel of scant resolution at the very end.  I think I want to either read it again or just find a way to blow up the planet now.  I think I can count my blessings in that even in my most pessimistic view the world the McCarthey portrays will not be experienced by myself or, hopefully still, my offspring.  But I'm starting to worry about any of my unrealized grandchildren.  What a vision.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »
Quote from: MAD on December 02, 2009, 11:20:05 PM
This might be one of the greatest books I have ever read, and yet it left me in a constant dread in the 4 days that I was devouring it.  Just desperate, awful, evil, dangerous, starving, dead, bleak, truly hopeless shit, with a tiny poop-enveloped corn kernel of scant resolution at the very end.  I think I want to either read it again or just find a way to blow up the planet now.  I think I can count my blessings in that even in my most pessimistic view the world the McCarthey portrays will not be experienced by myself or, hopefully still, my offspring.  But I'm starting to worry about any of my unrealized grandchildren.  What a vision.

Did you read this book because of RV or because it was on Oprah's book club?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Quote from: BH on December 03, 2009, 09:23:29 AM

That poor girl Huey pushed off the train at Granville left it in her rucksack.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
This might be one of the greatest books I have ever read, and yet it left me in a constant dread in the 4 days that I was devouring it.  Just desperate, awful, evil, dangerous, starving, dead, bleak, truly hopeless shit, with a tiny poop-enveloped corn kernel of scant resolution at the very end.  I think I want to either read it again or just find a way to blow up the planet now.  I think I can count my blessings in that even in my most pessimistic view the world the McCarthey portrays will not be experienced by myself or, hopefully still, my offspring.  But I'm starting to worry about any of my unrealized grandchildren.  What a vision.

Since you ask, fat ass, my brother-in-law gave it to me while I was at his house for Thanksgiving.  Happy?

Also, I'm about 40 pages from having completed this a second time.  Oddly, I'm finding it more redemptive the second time around.  Still fucking miserable and all.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
Quote from: MAD on December 10, 2009, 02:52:33 PM

Since you ask, fat ass, my brother-in-law gave it to me while I was at his house for Thanksgiving.  Happy?

Also, I'm about 40 pages from having completed this a second time.  Oddly, I'm finding it more redemptive the second time around.  Still fucking miserable and all.

Your brother in law is RV?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Quote from: BH on December 10, 2009, 03:18:09 PM
Quote from: MAD on December 10, 2009, 02:52:33 PM

Your brother in law is RV?

I'm his beard-in-law.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 11, 2009, 09:12:02 AM

This might be one of the greatest books I have ever read, and yet it left me in a constant dread in the 4 days that I was devouring it.  Just desperate, awful, evil, dangerous, starving, dead, bleak, truly hopeless shit, with a tiny poop-enveloped corn kernel of scant resolution at the very end.  I think I want to either read it again or just find a way to blow up the planet now.  I think I can count my blessings in that even in my most pessimistic view the world the McCarthey portrays will not be experienced by myself or, hopefully still, my offspring.  But I'm starting to worry about any of my unrealized grandchildren.  What a vision.

I picked this book up almost 2 years ago while traveling with my father to Mayo Clinic. I didn't really know much about the book but I loved all of McCarthey's other writings and thought this could fill the down time between tests and consultations while my Dad was resting and take my mind off of his cancer.

Holy shit was that a mistake.
I made it through a few dozen pages before I realized that I needed to find another book or else I would probably end up walking in front of a bus.

I picked it up again while on vacation last spring and absolutely inhaled it. Like all McCarthey it is strikingly descriptive and for me, riveting.
Huey and R-V already conveyed how bleak the story is but you want to keep reading hoping that something good will happen to the main characters. Yet in the back of your mind you know that is not likely.
McCarthey has stated that parts of the book were heavily influenced by conversations he's had with his young son, and that his relationship with his son is the greatest joy of his life. I found it interesting that he uses such a dark story to convey that relationship to the reader.

I reccommend the book highly, just make sure there's not a lot of heavy shit going on in your own life when you start it.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I just finished it today. It is depressing as fuck. Naturally, I wanted to know more about why the world was that way and how they survived it to get to the point in the book, but I was able to have those needs curbed by the excellence of this book. It was descriptive as hell. I will probably go the Huard route and read it again, but I'll have to wait awhile to not have the desire to jump off that mat with RV.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
Wow, just finally read this.

Holy shit.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 20, 2012, 12:19:39 PM
Wow, just finally read this.

Holy shit.

Happy stuff isn't it?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

The road is fucking hard.

The road is fucking tough.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16