News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Time to ruin a good thing  ( 2,728 )

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Time to ruin a good thing
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Time to ruin a good thing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 03, 2009, 12:42:56 PM
Have at it nerds

The name of the article is kind of misleading from what it's actually supposed to be.  They didn't pick the "best" games of the decade, but basically what they think are the most influential.  I'd agree with a lot of the choices, and am pleasantly surprised that SSX 3 is on there.  I thought that was an amazing game, and it really opened up the idea of mixing open-world, sandbox games like GTA with sports titles, which a shitload of racing games have copied. I kind of disagree about Fallout 3 though.  If they want to make a point about the massive, open-world RPGs, it should be Morrowind or Oblivion instead of Fallout.  Granted, maybe it's just because I couldn't get past the atrocious animations in that game.

And seeing as how it's about the most important or influential games of the decade, I definitely think BioShock deserves to be #1.  Some other games I think should have maybe been on there are Mass Effect, San Andreas (instead of Vice City), Battlefield 2 and maybe Uncharted 2.  I'm sure I'm leaving some off the list.  Modern Warfare deserves consideration for its multiplayer, but Battlefield 2 did the whole online ranks/upgrades system first.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 03, 2009, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 03, 2009, 12:42:56 PM
Have at it nerds

The name of the article is kind of misleading from what it's actually supposed to be.  They didn't pick the "best" games of the decade, but basically what they think are the most influential.  I'd agree with a lot of the choices, and am pleasantly surprised that SSX 3 is on there.  I thought that was an amazing game, and it really opened up the idea of mixing open-world, sandbox games like GTA with sports titles, which a shitload of racing games have copied. I kind of disagree about Fallout 3 though.  If they want to make a point about the massive, open-world RPGs, it should be Morrowind or Oblivion instead of Fallout.  Granted, maybe it's just because I couldn't get past the atrocious animations in that game.

And seeing as how it's about the most important or influential games of the decade, I definitely think BioShock deserves to be #1.  Some other games I think should have maybe been on there are Mass Effect, San Andreas (instead of Vice City), Battlefield 2 and maybe Uncharted 2.  I'm sure I'm leaving some off the list.  Modern Warfare deserves consideration for its multiplayer, but Battlefield 2 did the whole online ranks/upgrades system first.

Go marry your XBox, nerdlinger.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »
No Psychonauts?  No Beyond Good & Evil?  Fuck you, list.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 03, 2009, 01:27:39 PM

Again, I don't think they were going for "best," but rather "most influential." They just did a horrible job naming that article.

And of those two, I'd say Beyond Good & Evil would be more deserving, although it's basically any of the 3D Zelda games with a better story.  But if you're including a game based on story, BioShock wins hands-down over pretty much any other game ever made.  That game should be in Top 10 of all time, and I thought the actual gameplay was pretty terrible.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 03, 2009, 02:01:18 PM

Again, I don't think they were going for "best," but rather "most influential." They just did a horrible job naming that article.

And of those two, I'd say Beyond Good & Evil would be more deserving, although it's basically any of the 3D Zelda games with a better story.  But if you're including a game based on story, BioShock wins hands-down over pretty much any other game ever made.  That game should be in Top 10 of all time, and I thought the actual gameplay was pretty terrible.

I know.  I just wanted to bitch about something.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 03, 2009, 03:21:44 PM
Quote from: Weebs on December 03, 2009, 02:01:18 PM

I know.  I just wanted to bitch about something.

Well in that case...where the fuck is Darkest of Days!?!