News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 10: The Show  ( 88,641 )

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
Re: MLB 10: The Show
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 16, 2011, 08:41:49 PM
They just showed my "OPS" on the RTTS as "OBP S". What the fuck? They consult Sullivan for this information? This insults me sabremeterically

Also, anyone have issues with the "Throw to cut-off man" for RTTS (or maybe the game in general. I have only played one game so far). I press L1 to throw to him and it does nothing. I end up having to throw to 2nd base and lose 5 points for not throwing to the cutoff man.

EDIT: sounds like I'm not the only one: http://www.mlbtheshowcommunity.com/showpost.php?s=1ba33b94d87992b7f950bd8da8320676&p=40736&postcount=5

That's because you have to hold L1 and then press the analog stick in any direction to throw to a cutoff man.

I'm finding hitting in RTTS to be much easier than last year, too.  In fact, hitting in general.  I don't know if it's because I'm used to analog hitting or if it's because I gave up on "Guess Pitch" for the most part, but I'm probably averaging 6-10 hits a game now instead of 2-3.  Yes, I suck.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »
Can anyone tell me what's up with the new fielding system? I played my first game on Veteran as the Cubs vs the White Sox in a spring training venue. Lost 19-1. Made six errors including three by Blake DeWitt; two of which were back hand flips that went from sure double plays to Castro chasing stray baseballs in the outfield.

What gives?

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:18 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 21, 2011, 02:13:59 PM
Can anyone tell me what's up with the new fielding system? I played my first game on Veteran as the Cubs vs the White Sox in a spring training venue. Lost 19-1. Made six errors including three by Blake DeWitt; two of which were back hand flips that went from sure double plays to Castro chasing stray baseballs in the outfield.

What gives?

All throwing errors?  I'm not entirely sure yet if there's a "sweet spot" for the throwing release point.  I definitely know that the longer you hold the stick down, the harder you'll throw.  And you can cancel/fake a throw by flicking the stick again in the same direction after you queue up a throw.  I've cost myself definitely a few double plays by trying to queue up a throw to first, only to have Casto pump fake to second and then throw to first.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »

What gives?

Answered.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 21, 2011, 02:24:14 PM

What gives?

Answered.

If he makes three errors on flips in one game this season I will easily have a stroke.

Thanks Kerm - it's probably that I'm holding it too long. So you just give a quick flick? This is the dorkiest conversation ever.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
My RTTS starter just missed throwing a no-hitter in Cleveland for the Mariners in his first start of 2013.  Final line was 9 IP, H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 SO, 131 pitches.  Lost the no-hitter with 2 outs in the 8th after the umpire called three straight running fastballs on the bottom edge balls (DAMN YOU BRUCE FROEMMING), and on 3-2 a low slider was lined in CF for a base hit.  Struck out the next guy though.  They traded Felix Hernandez in the off-season and made my guy the MLB Ace, but a crappy spring dropped him to #2.

2012 was rough in the majors.  Called up on July 3rd to pitch out of the bullpen and struck out four Reds (including Bruce and Votto) on July 4th, but struggled to a 4.90 ERA and 1-8 record.  Dominated Double-A in 2011, the game kept saying he was ready for a promotion but they didn't have any spots.  The next season I was up-and-down in Triple-A, getting shelled one start and going 6 innings with one run the next, until the call up.  Anybody else choose pitcher for their RTTS?  I think it's the easiest way to the majors.  Then again, I suck at hitting.

Oh and I request a trade from the shitty Mariners every time I get a chance but so far they haven't obliged.

[/nerd]
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 21, 2011, 05:12:32 PM
My RTTS starter just missed throwing a no-hitter in Cleveland for the Mariners in his first start of 2013.  Final line was 9 IP, H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 SO, 131 pitches.  Lost the no-hitter with 2 outs in the 8th after the umpire called three straight running fastballs on the bottom edge balls (DAMN YOU BRUCE FROEMMING), and on 3-2 a low slider was lined in CF for a base hit.  Struck out the next guy though.  They traded Felix Hernandez in the off-season and made my guy the MLB Ace, but a crappy spring dropped him to #2.

2012 was rough in the majors.  Called up on July 3rd to pitch out of the bullpen and struck out four Reds (including Bruce and Votto) on July 4th, but struggled to a 4.90 ERA and 1-8 record.  Dominated Double-A in 2011, the game kept saying he was ready for a promotion but they didn't have any spots.  The next season I was up-and-down in Triple-A, getting shelled one start and going 6 innings with one run the next, until the call up.  Anybody else choose pitcher for their RTTS?  I think it's the easiest way to the majors.  Then again, I suck at hitting.

Oh and I request a trade from the shitty Mariners every time I get a chance but so far they haven't obliged.

[/nerd]

I usually hit. I've only gone through 3 games but I'm a robust 1 for 12 with 6 Ks.

Perhaps I should try this hurling thing.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 21, 2011, 06:06:12 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 21, 2011, 05:12:32 PM

[/nerd]

I usually hit. I've only gone through 3 games but I'm a robust 1 for 12 with 6 Ks.

Perhaps I should try this hurling thing.

I tried a pitcher briefly last year and made it to the AA All-Star game which netted me 200 points. I found it to be easier. Last year I sucked at hitting. I was lucky if my AVG was about .270 and my OPS above .750 (I never walked). This years' game is set up infinitely better. The analog system gives hackers like myself another split second to decide about swinging, and it helps get your timing.

In my first full season (72 games in AA and 20 in AAA), I had 397 ABs with 147 hits (.370BA), 52R, 34 2Bs, 7 3Bs, 14HRs, and 78 RBIs. I had a killer 2BBs, but I was satisfied with my 41Ks, not for the BB/SO ratio, but instead for the K/AB. For some odd reason, I batted a full 100 points better on the road, and had a nice AVG/RISP of around .425. How I got the triples is beyond me since I am Adam Dunn when he was 18. BC, draft me.

I'm starting spring training of my second year, and I hope to bounce up to the majors this year, if not getting the starting job out of the gate since my LF competition is some dude named Andreas Castilla, and my rating is already better than his and he's 24. Tampa Bay, here I come.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 21, 2011, 09:53:18 PM
I'm starting spring training of my second year, and I hope to bounce up to the majors this year, if not getting the starting job out of the gate since my LF competition is some dude named Andreas Castilla, and my rating is already better than his and he's 24. Tampa Bay, here I come.

Or getting less than 50 ABs by the All-Star break and my OPS a studly .463.

Also, I just played the Cubs. Jim Thome is at first (2012), with Rickie Weeks manning second. Some Rule 5 guy of "Ron Marte" (probably made up) is in LF and Soriano doesn't appear to be on the bench for the Cubs. Alright, he is on the DL, but there is something weird. He is listed as having a 4 year contract at 5.4 mil per year. Now, the game might mean 4 years from the start of 2011, but 5.4 millon? No. Looking at the bench for the Cubs I had to laugh when I saw that they have Corey Patterson on it. They're in first in late June though. Nyjer Morgan, TDubbs' boi, is on the team... Now seeing Z's contract it says it's for 8.3 million.. Doesn't make sense at all. The only thing I can imagine is that is "Money made up to this point" when it is late June. Something is wrong in the state of MLB The Show contract numbers.

Also, Pujols is in Texas on a 4 year/$60 million contract.. BULLSHIT. Berkman followed him. I think seeing where players go is one of the most entertaining things of the RTTS. I faced Andy Pettite in AAA last year (?????).

EDIT: During the game I'm playing now, a trade notification was broadcasted showing Pujols went to the Dodgers

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2011, 01:10:06 AM

Also, I just played the Cubs. Jim Thome is at first (2012), with Rickie Weeks manning second. Some Rule 5 guy of "Ron Marte" (probably made up) is in LF and Soriano doesn't appear to be on the bench for the Cubs. Alright, he is on the DL, but there is something weird. He is listed as having a 4 year contract at 5.4 mil per year. Now, the game might mean 4 years from the start of 2011, but 5.4 millon? No. Looking at the bench for the Cubs I had to laugh when I saw that they have Corey Patterson on it. They're in first in late June though. Nyjer Morgan, TDubbs' boi, is on the team... Now seeing Z's contract it says it's for 8.3 million.. Doesn't make sense at all. The only thing I can imagine is that is "Money made up to this point" when it is late June. Something is wrong in the state of MLB The Show contract numbers.

Also, Pujols is in Texas on a 4 year/$60 million contract.. BULLSHIT. Berkman followed him. I think seeing where players go is one of the most entertaining things of the RTTS. I faced Andy Pettite in AAA last year (?????).

EDIT: During the game I'm playing now, a trade notification was broadcasted showing Pujols went to the Dodgers

My beloved Mariners have Youkilis at 3B, Pierzynkski at C, Pelfrey in the rotation, and former Cubs legend Blake DeWitt at 2B.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 22, 2011, 10:37:28 AM

My beloved Mariners have Youkilis at 3B, Pierzynkski at C, Pelfrey in the rotation, and former Cubs legend Blake DeWitt at 2B.

When I ask for more PT, Ben Zobrist is listed as a reason I cant get it. The other one is Gary Matthews Jr. Also, my position is LF with RF being my secondary. However, 3 or so games in the majors this year, I've had to catch for an inning or two. Even with fielding turned off you can't skip around it. Fuck you Joe Madden. I want out dammit.

The difference between ML pitching and minor league pitching in this game is insane. Breaking pitches are impossible to touch and offspeed pitches destroy me. It seems that 90% of my swings now are Very Late/Very Early and off balance. I got to 75 or so ABs last night and I struck out in around 40% of them. Fung

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2011, 10:46:43 AM

When I ask for more PT, Ben Zobrist is listed as a reason I cant get it. The other one is Gary Matthews Jr. Also, my position is LF with RF being my secondary. However, 3 or so games in the majors this year, I've had to catch for an inning or two. Even with fielding turned off you can't skip around it. Fuck you Joe Madden. I want out dammit.

The difference between ML pitching and minor league pitching in this game is insane. Breaking pitches are impossible to touch and offspeed pitches destroy me. It seems that 90% of my swings now are Very Late/Very Early and off balance. I got to 75 or so ABs last night and I struck out in around 40% of them. Fung

You should bribe your imaginary manager with an imaginary broken iPhone for more imaginary playing time. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 22, 2011, 10:57:21 AM

You should bribe your imaginary manager with an imaginary broken iPhone for more imaginary playing time. 

Or I could have him sit down with me for a special viewig of the Chicago Code and pound some brewskies

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 22, 2011, 11:01:24 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 22, 2011, 10:57:21 AM

Or I could have him sit down with me for a special viewig of the Chicago Code and pound some brewskies

Intrepid Reader: Crabs: You going to film that?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.