News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 10: The Show  ( 88,291 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 10: The Show
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 12, 2010, 12:53:01 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 12:28:47 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 12, 2010, 12:23:33 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 12, 2010, 11:44:51 AM
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 10:50:06 AM
Visual Concepts should just save themselves some money and stop making a baseball game.

Interesting.  I thought 2K9 did two things better than The Show.  (1)  I loved the pitching/hitting interfaces, even though the physics behind them were completely broken.  (2)  I loved the real-time presentation.

Now, it's down to one sad, broken thing.

Why did you love those things if they were broken?  I'm not stick poking, I'm serious.  Super serial.  I mean, the idea is great.  But, they've skullfucked that idea for a couple years now.

DPD

I think 2K's hitting interface is (or at least has the potential to be) much better than The Show's.  The swing stick just feels more natural than pressing a button, especially when one of those buttons is the "Power Swing," which has been used in baseball games for years and years.  Unfortunately, they haven't found a good way to actually produce realistic results with the swing stick, and somehow anytime you actually get a good swing, the ball flies 400 ft. out of the park.

The pitching, on the other hand, I don't have as much of a problem with.  They keep it difficult enough by not letting you always hit your spot, even if you're dead-on with the pitching meter.  2K's system always felt really gimmicky, and the gesture controls were basically just a convoluted meter, although this year's might be a little better.

THIS.  Of course, I've already tried explaining this to IAN.  Multiple times.  A mechanic can be clever and innovative even if the physics are busted.  I guess it's not even really innovative, though, since MVP NCAA 2006 already did it, with GREAT, non-broken physics.

I really hope 2K makes a great game this year for the sake of competition.  But I have little faith that it's going to be anything but another busted effort on 2K's part.

Sorry, man.  I'm a thickheaded moron.  I would never buy 2K if I had both consoles.  I can live with button mashing on The Show.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 12, 2010, 01:03:11 PM
Visual Concepts should just save themselves some money and stop making a baseball game.

Interesting.  I thought 2K9 did two things better than The Show.  (1)  I loved the pitching/hitting interfaces, even though the physics behind them were completely broken.  (2)  I loved the real-time presentation.

Why did you love those things if they were broken?  I'm not stick poking, I'm serious.  Super serial.  I mean, the idea is great.  But, they've skullfucked that idea for a couple years now.

DPD

I think 2K's hitting interface is (or at least has the potential to be) much better than The Show's.  The swing stick just feels more natural than pressing a button, especially when one of those buttons is the "Power Swing," which has been used in baseball games for years and years.  Unfortunately, they haven't found a good way to actually produce realistic results with the swing stick, and somehow anytime you actually get a good swing, the ball flies 400 ft. out of the park.

The pitching, on the other hand, I don't have as much of a problem with.  They keep it difficult enough by not letting you always hit your spot, even if you're dead-on with the pitching meter.  2K's system always felt really gimmicky, and the gesture controls were basically just a convoluted meter, although this year's might be a little better.

THIS.  Of course, I've already tried explaining this to IAN.  Multiple times.  A mechanic can be clever and innovative even if the physics are busted.  I guess it's not even really innovative, though, since MVP NCAA 2006 already did it, with GREAT, non-broken physics.

I really hope 2K makes a great game this year for the sake of competition.  But I have little faith that it's going to be anything but another busted effort on 2K's part.

Sorry, man.  I'm a thickheaded moron.  I would never buy 2K if I had both consoles.  I can live with button mashing on The Show.

You should chloroform your wife and buy a PS3.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 01:26:17 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 12, 2010, 01:19:27 PM

DPD

I'm going to get the busted up one I was talking about in another thread.  I'll send it to that PSR1 site and get it fixed for $110.  The guy who is giving it to me said they fix YLOD (Yellow Light of Death, I'm assuming) crashes.  The only thing I'd need would be a controller because he bought a new system and is keeping the old controller to have two.  Whatever...it's a steal.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 12, 2010, 01:26:17 PM

DPD

I'm going to get the busted up one I was talking about in another thread.  I'll send it to that PSR1 site and get it fixed for $110.  The guy who is giving it to me said they fix YLOD (Yellow Light of Death, I'm assuming) crashes.  The only thing I'd need would be a controller because he bought a new system and is keeping the old controller to have two.  Whatever...it's a steal.

Are they charging you for shipping, and also which model is it?  If they are, and it's one of the older models, you might be better off just buying a new one.  You're going to be coughing up close to $60 for a new DualShock controller.  I'd say just take the broken system, try to sell it on eBay, and buy a new one.  Those things can sell for over $100, depending on exactly what's wrong with it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 01:42:18 PM

DPD

Are they charging you for shipping, and also which model is it?  If they are, and it's one of the older models, you might be better off just buying a new one.  You're going to be coughing up close to $60 for a new DualShock controller.  I'd say just take the broken system, try to sell it on eBay, and buy a new one.  Those things can sell for over $100, depending on exactly what's wrong with it.

Aren't the new ones $300?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 12, 2010, 01:45:02 PM

DPD

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Dell and other websites have sales all the time to save like $50, or at least get free shipping, which combined with the fact that you don't pay tax at most online stores, saves you quite a bit off a new console.  And like I said, if you're paying $110 for them to fix it, another $30+ assuming you have to ship it (double that if it's both ways), and then around $60 for a new controller, you're already spending at least $200 for a system that's already broken once before, as opposed to getting a brand new Slim, 120 GB model.  Also, I don't think you specified which model it is that he's giving you, but if it's the older one, then it likely has a smaller hard drive and is the larger version.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 01:53:15 PM

DPD

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Dell and other websites have sales all the time to save like $50, or at least get free shipping, which combined with the fact that you don't pay tax at most online stores, saves you quite a bit off a new console.  And like I said, if you're paying $110 for them to fix it, another $30+ assuming you have to ship it (double that if it's both ways), and then around $60 for a new controller, you're already spending at least $200 for a system that's already broken once before, as opposed to getting a brand new Slim, 120 GB model.  Also, I don't think you specified which model it is that he's giving you, but if it's the older one, then it likely has a smaller hard drive and is the larger version.

Wat?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 12, 2010, 02:05:36 PM
Wat?

I know Amazon doesn't have tax on their items, at least not the ones I've bought.  I think some places do charge tax, depending on which state you're purchasing from, but a lot of places don't.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 02:30:00 PM
Wat?

I know Amazon doesn't have tax on their items, at least not the ones I've bought.  I think some places do charge tax, depending on which state you're purchasing from, but a lot of places don't.

Wow.  I never noticed that, and I've bought at least a handful of things off Amazon.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on February 12, 2010, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 02:30:00 PM
Wat?

Wow.  I never noticed that, and I've bought at least a handful of things off Amazon.

It's probably because you're paying shipping, which is somewhat equivalent to what you'd pay in tax.  Their Amazon Prime service is pretty awesome.  They occasionally run free 1 or 3 month trials of it, and it gives you free 2-day shipping on all eligible products, which is anything sold by Amazon.  If you buy a new release game, you're spending like $56, get it the day it comes out, and most of them you receive a $10 credit towards any future game purchase.  It's a pretty awesome deal considering you pay about $66 after tax to buy it at Best Buy.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 12, 2010, 01:53:15 PM

DPD

Wat?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
Wat?

You only pay sales tax if you're shopping at a company that's based in the same state as you. So you don't pay sales tax at Amazon (HQ in Seattke), but people in Spokane pay whatever the WA sales tax is. This is true for all internet shopping.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29919.html

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 12, 2010, 07:34:29 PM
Wat?

You only pay sales tax if you're shopping at a company that's based in the same state as you. So you don't pay sales tax at Amazon (HQ in Seattke), but people in Spokane pay whatever the WA sales tax is. This is true for all internet shopping.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29919.html

It's not just based on where the headquarters is, it's based on if they have a physical presence or something like that.

You actually, as a general rule, owe the sales tax to your state in most scenarios, but no one ever pays it.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
I was just at Best Buy and they had The Show in the PS3, so I played an inning or two of Cubs vs. Twins.  Despite the fact that the video was way out of sync, and it was running in 720p instead of 1080p, the game looked amazing.  I was only playing for a few minutes, so I didn't notice too many differences, but one thing I thought that was pretty cool was they added a new animation for check swings (at least they did with Derrek Lee), where the hitter barely even attempts a swing and just kind of turns his shoulder.  It was a really subtle change, but pretty cool.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 25, 2010, 11:27:22 AM
I was just at Best Buy and they had The Show in the PS3, so I played an inning or two of Cubs vs. Twins.  Despite the fact that the video was way out of sync, and it was running in 720p instead of 1080p, the game looked amazing.  I was only playing for a few minutes, so I didn't notice too many differences, but one thing I thought that was pretty cool was they added a new animation for check swings (at least they did with Derrek Lee), where the hitter barely even attempts a swing and just kind of turns his shoulder.  It was a really subtle change, but pretty cool.

You're like a bag full of cocks, but when you look inside of it, instead of cocks, it's more cocks.  And the bag is made out of cocks.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.