News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K10  ( 19,474 )

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
MLB 2K10
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
Get ready for another season of suck.  They're promising it's fixed again, and they added a wannabe Road to the Show mode.  They also said they had to make the graphics worse (again) to make the framerate better.  The one thing they did not say is, "Our engine is totally outdated and horrible, so we scrapped the whole thing, bought the old MVP engine from EA, and made a good baseball game."

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K10
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:42 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 11:21:29 AM
Get ready for another season of suck.  They're promising it's fixed again, and they added a wannabe Road to the Show mode.  They also said they had to make the graphics worse (again) to make the framerate better.  The one thing they did not say is, "Our engine is totally outdated and horrible, so we scrapped the whole thing, bought the old MVP engine from EA, and made a good baseball game."

Fuck 2K and their shitty baseball games.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 14, 2010, 11:22:42 AM

Agreed, though I know I'll probably be unable to resist this, even with The Show.  They added John Kruk to the booth.  THAT WILL SAVE THE FRANCHISE!!!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 11:24:20 AM

Agreed, though I know I'll probably be unable to resist this, even with The Show.  They added John Kruk to the booth.  THAT WILL SAVE THE FRANCHISE!!!

Even an article trying to boost interest in the game just makes it sound shitty.  In Road to the Show, it was hard enough getting a hit during one of your four normal ABs in a game...this one you're expected to pretty much only play when there's some crucial situation with the game on the line.  That sounds awful.  This game is going to be terrible for a long, long time.  Hopefully when EA finally buys 2K, they'll get the MVP franchise going again.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:35:41 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 14, 2010, 11:32:17 AM

Even an article trying to boost interest in the game just makes it sound shitty.  In Road to the Show, it was hard enough getting a hit during one of your four normal ABs in a game...this one you're expected to pretty much only play when there's some crucial situation with the game on the line.  That sounds awful.  This game is going to be terrible for a long, long time.  Hopefully when EA finally buys 2K, they'll get the MVP franchise going again.

How fucking stupid does the Batter's Eye feature sound?  They're actually going to write the word "FASTBALL" on the screen for you to identify it?  MVP 2005 did it brilliantly with the color system.  Just steal that, assholes.  You're neither innovative nor creative enough to do anything worthwhile on your own.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 11:35:41 AM

How fucking stupid does the Batter's Eye feature sound?  They're actually going to write the word "FASTBALL" on the screen for you to identify it?  MVP 2005 did it brilliantly with the color system.  Just steal that, assholes.  You're neither innovative nor creative enough to do anything worthwhile on your own.

I think they've finally realized that judging a pitch in a baseball game is nearly impossible.  I even wish The Show would do something similar to MVP's hitter's eye.  I think that one was a little too cheap, but still, having something that lets you get a better idea for the pitch would be nice, since you're forced to judge a 2D image, moving in "3D" space across a 2D screen.  I don't really like the Guess Pitch system in The Show, but it's way better than saying "FASTBALL!!!!!"  It seems like 2K's development process is determining what part of last year's game was terrible, and then creating a new system to try and cover it up.  They need to just scrap the franchise for a year, at least, and re-do everything.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 14, 2010, 11:45:26 AM

I think they've finally realized that judging a pitch in a baseball game is nearly impossible.  I even wish The Show would do something similar to MVP's hitter's eye.  I think that one was a little too cheap, but still, having something that lets you get a better idea for the pitch would be nice, since you're forced to judge a 2D image, moving in "3D" space across a 2D screen.  I don't really like the Guess Pitch system in The Show, but it's way better than saying "FASTBALL!!!!!"  It seems like 2K's development process is determining what part of last year's game was terrible, and then creating a new system to try and cover it up.  They need to just scrap the franchise for a year, at least, and re-do everything.

I thought MVP's system was perfect, and I wish The Show would implement it.  The better the hitter and the worse the pitcher hides the ball, the longer the color flash.  Brilliant.  The MVP series was one of the few ones in which I could actually draw the occasional walk.

Incidentally, I wonder if 2K realized they needed to shrink their stupidly oversized strike zone.  Do you think they even play The Show?  They probably don't, because it will just lead to them all crying and quitting their jobs.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:35 AM »

Why?

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 14, 2010, 11:50:35 AM

Why?

Because I absolutely love the hitting and pitching controls, even though they're shittily implemented.  Batting cursor + swing stick last year could have been SO GOOD.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 11:48:22 AM

I thought MVP's system was perfect, and I wish The Show would implement it.  The better the hitter and the worse the pitcher hides the ball, the longer the color flash.  Brilliant.  The MVP series was one of the few ones in which I could actually draw the occasional walk.

Incidentally, I wonder if 2K realized they needed to shrink their stupidly oversized strike zone.  Do you think they even play The Show?  They probably don't, because it will just lead to them all crying and quitting their jobs.

I liked the system, I just think it might have been too easy.  I would average like 10+ runs/game on the highest difficulty because once you know the pitch, all you have to judge is location and then aiming your swing was simple.  That game gave you more control over the outcome of a swing than any other game I played, but it made it a bit too easy.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 12:01:31 PM

Why?

Because I absolutely love the hitting and pitching controls, even though they're shittily implemented.  Batting cursor + swing stick last year could have been SO GOOD.

You asshat.  If you buy this game even though you have a PS3 and The Show I'm going to punch you in the testicles.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 14, 2010, 12:03:57 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 11:48:22 AM

I liked the system, I just think it might have been too easy.  I would average like 10+ runs/game on the highest difficulty because once you know the pitch, all you have to judge is location and then aiming your swing was simple.  That game gave you more control over the outcome of a swing than any other game I played, but it made it a bit too easy.

That wasn't the fault of the Batter's Eye, though.  The hitting (and pitching) were slightly too easy in MVP 2005.  MVP NCAA 2006 was a different story at the plate.  It was hard as hell to hit.  Batter's Eye + Cursor Hitting + Swing Stick is my ideal system.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 14, 2010, 12:07:32 PM

Why?

You asshat.  If you buy this game even though you have a PS3 and The Show I'm going to punch you in the testicles.

I know you're legally brain dead, but you do realize that just because I purchase one doesn't mean I can't purchase the other, right?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 12:09:14 PM

Why?

I know you're legally brain dead, but you do realize that just because I purchase one doesn't mean I can't purchase the other, right?

They haven't made an official ruling as of this morning.  Anyway, I know that the laws of physics allow you to have both at once.  But, why?  Because you like the shitty batting and pitching controls that don't work well?

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 14, 2010, 12:10:53 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 14, 2010, 12:09:14 PM

Why?

They haven't made an official ruling as of this morning.  Anyway, I know that the laws of physics allow you to have both at once.  But, why?  Because you like the shitty batting and pitching controls that don't work well?

No, I like the excellent batting and pitching controls that work well, but are a part of a completely busted engine, wherein pretty much every single missed pitch or solid hit is a home run.