News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 606,658 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #4545 on: February 15, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 14, 2012, 09:01:13 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 14, 2012, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 14, 2012, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 14, 2012, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 14, 2012, 05:17:39 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 14, 2012, 04:12:27 PM
Well, Bishop?

I thought they'd stopped this practice.  So much for faith in others.

Theologically speaking, it's unclear to me why this would be of any interest at all to modern Jewry.

Theologically, we are still supposed to observe the 613 commandments.  And the Torah states that you are not supposed to contact the dead.

Whether that's germane today, that's up to you to decide.

But the undertaking is by the Mormons.

The dead are not supposed to be disturbed, is my understanding.  To do so violates them in sheol.

The objection is still theologically nonsensical unless one gives some sort of supernatural credence to the activity of the Mormons.

Isn't ALL religion theologically nonsensical unless one gives some sort of supernatural credence?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4546 on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 15, 2012, 08:39:30 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 14, 2012, 09:01:13 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 14, 2012, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 14, 2012, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 14, 2012, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 14, 2012, 05:17:39 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 14, 2012, 04:12:27 PM
Well, Bishop?

I thought they'd stopped this practice.  So much for faith in others.

Theologically speaking, it's unclear to me why this would be of any interest at all to modern Jewry.

Theologically, we are still supposed to observe the 613 commandments.  And the Torah states that you are not supposed to contact the dead.

Whether that's germane today, that's up to you to decide.

But the undertaking is by the Mormons.

The dead are not supposed to be disturbed, is my understanding.  To do so violates them in sheol.

The objection is still theologically nonsensical unless one gives some sort of supernatural credence to the activity of the Mormons.

Isn't ALL religion theologically nonsensical unless one gives some sort of supernatural credence?

Well, sure. But I think Wheezer's question is, why should Jews give any more credence to the supernatural efficacy of the Mormons' American Jesus in disturbing their dead than they would give to any other false Gentile god?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4547 on: February 15, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 15, 2012, 09:11:50 AM
Well, sure. But I think Wheezer's question is, why should Jews give any more credence to the supernatural efficacy of the Mormons' American Jesus in disturbing their dead than they would give to any other false Gentile god?

I don't think they are.  I think it's simply that the Mormons are the ones desecrating the graves.  Were the Hindu showing up and doing something similar, I'd think Jews would be similarly upset.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4548 on: February 15, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 15, 2012, 09:18:08 AM

I don't think they are.  I think it's simply that the Mormons are the ones desecrating the graves.  Were the Hindu showing up and doing something similar, I'd think Jews would be similarly upset.

The Mormons aren't desecrating any graves as far as I'm aware.

They just have a non-stop litany of in absentia baptism ceremonies at their Salt Lake City temple. With Mormons acting as stand-ins for the dead, whose names are read off of a list. No corpses necessary.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4549 on: February 15, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 15, 2012, 09:20:31 AM

I don't think they are.  I think it's simply that the Mormons are the ones desecrating the graves.  Were the Hindu showing up and doing something similar, I'd think Jews would be similarly upset.

They just have a non-stop litany of in absentia baptism ceremonies at their Salt Lake City temple. With Mormons acting as stand-ins for the dead, whose names are read off of a list. No corpses necessary.

My general take on the issue is that, when a person is a member of a group that had historcially been killed because of the religion they practiced or refsusal to convert to another religion, it is beyond insulting  to that persons family and community for a group of people to say that he was 'converted'  by them posthumously to a religion of that groups choosing.  More name calling (at the 'fighting words' level) than metaphysics.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4550 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on February 15, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

My general take on the issue is that, when a person is a member of a group that had historcially been killed because of the religion they practiced or refsusal to convert to another religion, it is beyond insulting  to that persons family and community for a group of people to say that he was 'converted'  by them posthumously to a religion of that groups choosing.  More name calling (at the 'fighting words' level) than metaphysics.

Leaving aside the general tastelessness of the operation, Mormon proxy baptism isn't a conversion--the decedent is held to be free to accept or reject the ordinance. (It's not clear to me offhand if the dead can accept it and later reject it, as the living do all the time.)
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4551 on: February 15, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on February 15, 2012, 11:01:58 AM

The Mormons have a word for it..."chutzpah".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4552 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »
Scandal in Wisconsin!

Oh, Politico... Don't you ever go and change.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4553 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 16, 2012, 12:17:17 PM
Scandal in Wisconsin!

Politico already deleted the post.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4554 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Quote from: Fork on February 16, 2012, 01:10:16 PM
Scandal in Wisconsin!

Hence the need for a screenshot.

That doesn't make it not hilarious.

Nor does it change the fact that Politico—as a haven for bottom-feeding, know-nothing retards ready to roll out their Jump To Conclusions Mats at the merest hint of an inconsequential "controversy"—still typifies our political press at its worst.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4555 on: February 16, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 16, 2012, 03:32:00 PM
Scandal in Wisconsin!

Nor does it change the fact that Politico—as a haven for bottom-feeding, know-nothing retards ready to roll out their Jump To Conclusions Mats at the merest hint of an inconsequential "controversy"—still typifies our political press at its worst.

Ahh,  good old Local 1848. I hear that the dues (taken out of each paycheck, with a balloon payment in April) are really a bitch!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #4556 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »
Nor does it change the fact that Politico—as a haven for bottom-feeding, know-nothing retards ready to roll out their Jump To Conclusions Mats at the merest hint of an inconsequential "controversy"...

And the other media members AREN'T bottom-feeding, know-nothing retards??? The Jump To Conclusions mat also comes out whenever Fox News, CNN or MSNBC have to come up with, oh, 23 hours and 55 minutes of their daily programming schedules on a slow news day (I exempt 5 minutes of slow days only because Fox News has a couple hot blonde women as anchors).
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4557 on: February 16, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
Quote from: BC on February 16, 2012, 09:42:58 PM
Nor does it change the fact that Politico—as a haven for bottom-feeding, know-nothing retards ready to roll out their Jump To Conclusions Mats at the merest hint of an inconsequential "controversy"...

And the other media members AREN'T bottom-feeding, know-nothing retards???

You can only conclude that this is what I'm suggesting if you inexplicably cut off my quote like you did above.

If, on the other hand, you read everything I wrote (i.e., the rest of that one sentence), you might have seen me saying this...

Which is to say: Politico is trash in particular, just as "our political press" is trash in general. They're all assholes.

So, you know... get off it.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4558 on: February 17, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 16, 2012, 06:09:47 PM
Scandal in Wisconsin!

Ahh,  good old Local 1848. I hear that the dues (taken out of each paycheck, with a balloon payment in April) are really a bitch!

Something something Stew helped found this union something.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4559 on: February 17, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 17, 2012, 06:50:26 AM
Quote from: CBStew on February 16, 2012, 06:09:47 PM
Scandal in Wisconsin!

Something something Stew helped found this union something.

Needs something big.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16