News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Apple  ( 81,885 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Apple
« Reply #600 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 25, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
I just had a Skype video call with my son.  He called my iphone here in Berkeley from his iphone during a marathon that he is running in downtown Tokyo.  His son, my one year old grandson, has been born into a generation that will someday hear about this and say "That was really primitive."

He called you in the middle of a marathon?

WTF, Japan?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #601 on: February 27, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 27, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
I just had a Skype video call with my son.  He called my iphone here in Berkeley from his iphone during a marathon that he is running in downtown Tokyo.  His son, my one year old grandson, has been born into a generation that will someday hear about this and say "That was really primitive."

WTF, Japan?

The real question is: what was he wearing?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #602 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 27, 2012, 11:11:56 AM
Quote from: PenPho on February 27, 2012, 10:58:52 AM

WTF, Japan?

The real question is: what was he wearing?

How was he able to talk on the phone while carrying 2 55 gallon tanks of water to keep hydrated?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #603 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
So since the shitty new Apple Maps app doesn't support transit directions, anybody know of a good, free app that can reproduce the transit directions that the old Google Maps app used to give me?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 24, 2012, 09:13:27 AM
So since the shitty new Apple Maps app doesn't support transit directions, anybody know of a good, free app that can reproduce the transit directions that the old Google Maps app used to give me?

Yea, www.androidphones.com

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #605 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

Just go to Google Maps in Safari and install the web app. Basically works the same way.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #606 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on September 24, 2012, 09:42:07 AM

Yea, www.androidphones.com

That site doesn't work, just like your Android phone.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #607 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 24, 2012, 10:44:24 AM

Just go to Google Maps in Safari and install the web app. Basically works the same way.

You can, however, still use Google Maps via a web browser by going to http://maps.google.com.

The first time you load the page, it should ask for permission to use your current location, which is necessary if you want to use the web version of Google Maps. If you turned off the location services for Safari or an alternative browser, you will need to go into Settings/Privacy/Location Services and turn it back on.

To make it easier to access in the future, once the page loads, tap the share icon (the rectangle with the arrow pointing to the right) and click on 'Add to Home Screen' to add the site as an icon on the phone.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #608 on: September 24, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
I am a pretty loyal Droid user (I have the Bionic now).  With the new job, I got an iPhone 4S.  It's pretty fucking cool but it has its advantages and disadvantages.  Having both phones, I get pretty much the best of both worlds.

I like the Droid for the navigation, micro-USB connectivity, general Google awesomeness
The iPhone is stable and has very user-friendly interface.

I don't really use Siri and I hate the proprietary connectivity on the iPhone.  The battery life on the Droid blows.

I'd imagine that with the iPhone 5 and the Samsung phones, the two get a lot closer to each other.

Both phones are pretty awesome.  It really is a religious discussion these days.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #609 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 24, 2012, 12:30:27 PM
It really is a religious discussion these days.

Unfortunately, this.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #610 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 24, 2012, 12:36:05 PM

Unfortunately, this.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  It means the consumer doesn't really make a bad choice, assuming he understands what he needs in a smartphone.  We can get into the whole open source vs proprietary application development but that doesn't really affect the consumer any more since there are very few applications that are only available on one platform or the other (Google maps being the most obvious exception and maybe Java; not really sure if there are actual apps that are iPhone-only).

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #611 on: September 24, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 24, 2012, 12:42:54 PM

Unfortunately, this.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  It means the consumer doesn't really make a bad choice, assuming he understands what he needs in a smartphone.  We can get into the whole open source vs proprietary application development but that doesn't really affect the consumer any more since there are very few applications that are only available on one platform or the other (Google maps being the most obvious exception and maybe Java; not really sure if there are actual apps that are iPhone-only).

So are there any plans for Google to develop a Maps app for the iphone?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #612 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
Quote from: R-V on September 24, 2012, 01:42:29 PM

Unfortunately, this.

I thought Apple was banishing Google to the curb for daring to develop the Android OS.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #613 on: September 24, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 24, 2012, 01:45:21 PM

Unfortunately, this.

I thought Apple was banishing Google to the curb for daring to develop the Android OS.

Doubt it. Apple was busy patenting the curb

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #614 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on September 24, 2012, 02:02:24 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 24, 2012, 01:45:21 PM

Unfortunately, this.

Doubt it. Apple was busy patenting the curb

Does this mean that Weebs has to pay royalties?

Or just rent?