News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cold War Literature  ( 4,431 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Cold War Literature
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
Not looking for Tom Clancy stuff here, but is anyone able to recommend any good historical accounts of the Cold War, preferably less biased against the Soviets?

I'd like to read something that reflects on the social and political goings on during the arms race, but also if you've got any good fiction recs, I'd be up for those too.

Thanks, only site.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cold War Literature
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 06, 2010, 01:22:09 PM
Not looking for Tom Clancy stuff here, but is anyone able to recommend any good historical accounts of the Cold War, preferably less biased against the Soviets?

I'd like to read something that reflects on the social and political goings on during the arms race, but also if you've got any good fiction recs, I'd be up for those too.

Thanks, only site.

It's not a direct history of the Cold War, but I would recommend Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner (actually, I did recommend it previously, but the thread was Ratto'd).  Obviously the focus is on the Agency itself, but considerable coverage is given to the Cold War and various operations that the CIA ran (usually poorly) against it's opposite in the USSR.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 06, 2010, 10:14:23 PM

Thanks, only site.

It's not a direct history of the Cold War, but I would recommend Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner (actually, I did recommend it previously, but the thread was Ratto'd).  Obviously the focus is on the Agency itself, but considerable coverage is given to the Cold War and various operations that the CIA ran (usually poorly) against it's opposite in the USSR.

Along the same lines but in the fiction / spy novel genre.
The Company by Robert Littell.
A lengthy and engaging spy novel about the history of the CIA during the Cold War.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:28:28 PM »
I haven't read this, but I did have the privilege to meet Sagdeev in the '80s, and the man knows how to tell a story:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yhq3her

I have a strong sense that not all TRS-80's wound up where one might expect.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »

Thanks, only site.

Oh. You said Not biased against the Soviets? Well, it's not entirely Cold War-centric, but I just read The Red Flag: A History of Communism by David Priestland and it had some interesting takes on the Communist movements in various nations and the way they dealt with the Cold War.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2010, 09:27:06 AM

[kurtevans]The used bookstore that I used to work at had a copy of that across from the register for like 7-8 years in the Cold War section. ME ME MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME.[/kurtevans]
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »

Thanks, only site.

Oh. You said Not biased against the Soviets? Well, it's not entirely Cold War-centric, but I just read The Red Flag: A History of Communism by David Priestland and it had some interesting takes on the Communist movements in various nations and the way they dealt with the Cold War.

Nice, thanks for the info. Why hasn't Oleg chimed in yet? Didn't be bring any pamphlets back from his last meeting?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:32:01 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2010, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 10, 2010, 09:49:44 AM

When is a Commie like a mick policeman?

That book really thought me everything I need to know about the murderous Russkies.

Everything I ever needed to know about Russkies I learned from Russell Ziskey...

WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 10, 2010, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2010, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 10, 2010, 09:49:44 AM

When is a Commie like a mick policeman?

That book really thought me everything I need to know about the murderous Russkies.

Everything I ever needed to know about Russkies I learned from Russell Ziskey...

Wow. Just beautiful.

Capt. Over

• Jimmy, you ever seen a grown man naked?
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
I just started to read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn for a class I'm taking, which is considered a modern classic.  It's about a WW2 vet who is wrongly accused of treason and sent to a Siberian labor camp; hilarity ensues.  Might be something of interest.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Soviet Gulags were not pleasant.
Trying to ignore sense of self-awareness and post more often.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
Quote from: Capt. Over on April 13, 2010, 03:57:27 PM
I just started to read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn for a class I'm taking, which is considered a modern classic.  It's about a WW2 vet who is wrongly accused of treason and sent to a Siberian labor camp; hilarity ensues.  Might be something of interest.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Soviet Gulags were not pleasant.

If you like Solzhenitsyn, read The Gulag Archipelago.