Desipio Message Board
October 16, 2017, 06:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oct 12 - Oral History: Cubs hire Theo  http://www.desipio.com/?p=3639

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Guns of August  (Read 17729 times)
Bort
Johnny Evers Fan Club

My son's name is ALSO Bort.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »

CT, TEC, Bort and any of you other WWI enthusiasts should read this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sleepwalkers-Europe-Went-1914/dp/0061146668 Mother in law got it for me for Christmas. Good stuff.

Bump.

Similar to The Sleepwalkers, I just finished The War that Ended Peace which is also an excellent book about Europe in the run up to WWI.  Also, if you like podcasts (and who doesn't) I'll echo Slaky's recommendation of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series on WWI as well.

I'll echo both of your recommendations. His entire Hardcore History series is a hell of a listen. They only come out like once every 3-4 months, but each one is about 3-4 hours long.

"...by the time he stepped to the plate, he was more than 60% of the way toward being on first base already.

That is absolutely staggering."
CT III
Administrator
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Killer of men.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »

Bumped in service of my quest to consume every piece of written word I can find concerning WWI.

Two more recommendations:

A World Undone:The Story of the Great War by GJ Meyer - if you listened to the Hardcore History series on WWI you'll probably recognize this as one of Carlin's favorite sources and for good reason.  Meyer's writing style makes it interesting, and he does not spare anyone on any side in his brutal assessment of the commanders and leaders on the various sides.

Paris 1919: Six Months that Changes the World by Margaret MacMillan - I previously recommended MacMillan's The War That Ended Peace which was about the run up to the war, and her book on WWI's peace process might be better.  Basically the Allies came together with the intent of putting together a peace treaty that was going to punish Germany but not too harshly, since they recognized that a lasting enmity would likely lead to another World War.  Unfortunately, the Big Four (LOL Italy) got so caught up in completely redrawing the maps of Southeast Europe and the Middle East that the German treaty became almost and afterthought and the Germans were basically handed a half-assed document to sign that created exactly the kind of resentment they sought to avoid, specifically a clause that required Germany to accept all fault for the war (in part because most of the rest of the Central Powers ceased to exist). 

Also, somewhat shocking to be reminded there was a time when the President of the United States could just fuck off to Europe for like 6 straight months.

CBStew
Most people my age are dead.
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »

Bumped in service of my quest to consume every piece of written word I can find concerning WWI.

Two more recommendations:

A World Undone:The Story of the Great War by GJ Meyer - if you listened to the Hardcore History series on WWI you'll probably recognize this as one of Carlin's favorite sources and for good reason.  Meyer's writing style makes it interesting, and he does not spare anyone on any side in his brutal assessment of the commanders and leaders on the various sides.

Paris 1919: Six Months that Changes the World by Margaret MacMillan - I previously recommended MacMillan's The War That Ended Peace which was about the run up to the war, and her book on WWI's peace process might be better.  Basically the Allies came together with the intent of putting together a peace treaty that was going to punish Germany but not too harshly, since they recognized that a lasting enmity would likely lead to another World War.  Unfortunately, the Big Four (LOL Italy) got so caught up in completely redrawing the maps of Southeast Europe and the Middle East that the German treaty became almost and afterthought and the Germans were basically handed a half-assed document to sign that created exactly the kind of resentment they sought to avoid, specifically a clause that required Germany to accept all fault for the war (in part because most of the rest of the Central Powers ceased to exist). 

Also, somewhat shocking to be reminded there was a time when the President of the United States could just fuck off to Europe for like 6 straight months.

I can recommend the American Heritage book about WWl.
 http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3254897-the-american-heritage-history-of-world-war-i
It is not scholarly, but it has a great collection of photos and maps.  It was published over 50 years ago so you can only get it used.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: