News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Norse Mythology  ( 2,134 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Norse Mythology
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
Let's do this. Anyone got any good suggestions for books on the Norse gods? I'm really trying to learn as much utterly useless shit before I turn into worm food.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Norse Mythology
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
Can't go wrong with the prose Edda. The poetic one is a bit of a hard read, but also great. The saga of the Volsungs was a major source for the Wagner Ring Cycle.

Not mythological at all, but Njal's Saga is surprisingly good for a protonovel written 800 years ago. 
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 22, 2010, 08:11:55 PM
Can't go wrong with the prose Edda. The poetic one is a bit of a hard read, but also great. The saga of the Volsungs was a major source for the Wagner Ring Cycle.

Not mythological at all, but Njal's Saga is surprisingly good for a protonovel written 800 years ago. 

I've got the Prose Edda in the cart already. Found another popular one called The Norse Myths that seems informative. Turns out my wife was asleep when they taught her all this stuff.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 22, 2010, 07:37:44 PM
Let's do this. Anyone got any good suggestions for books on the Norse gods? I'm really trying to learn as much utterly useless shit before I turn into worm food.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman, although I suppose it wanders from the subject matter a bit.
M'lady.