News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jamaican Food  ( 11,548 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jamaican Food
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:48 PM »

And, of course, call your waiter "Blood cloth" if you want the VIP treatment.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
I don't know how Jamaican this place is but they have an island theme and played reggae so I'm going to make it count.

Had lunch and Big and Little's on the corner of Gunshot and Homicide. Pretty good tilapia taco, shrimp taco and a basket o' fries.

Hit this place up soon before their episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Backwards Upside Down Visors hits the Food Network. The proprietor was on Hell's Kitchen.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/1496456/restaurant/River-North/BIG-littles-Chicago

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 29, 2011, 01:20:18 PM
I don't know how Jamaican this place is but they have an island theme and played reggae so I'm going to make it count.

Had lunch and Big and Little's on the corner of Gunshot and Homicide. Pretty good tilapia taco, shrimp taco and a basket o' fries.

Hit this place up soon before their episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Backwards Upside Down Visors hits the Food Network. The proprietor was on Hell's Kitchen.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/1496456/restaurant/River-North/BIG-littles-Chicago

I already had plans to visit this place.  They just firmed up a little.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 09, 2011, 08:25:30 AM

Tonk coming to Chicago for fish & chips is like one of us going to California and eating at Uno.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »

How had you heard of it?

FYI - I got the squid po boy last week and it was glorious.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »

Make it a lunch and I can join you.  That's only 6 blocks from my office.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
Has Pen weighed in on how authentic this place is, given his expertise on the subject?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 09, 2011, 10:05:31 AM

Make it a lunch and I can join you.  That's only 6 blocks from my office.

Dinner it is then.
TIME TO POST!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2011, 09:23:41 AM

How had you heard of it?

I was bumming around on yelp.com, and that place is the highest rated (under "burgers", funnily enough) in Chicago, I think.

I've put together a list from the various Feedbag threads along with some input from various websites and it looks like this :

Burgers
Kuma's Corner
Rootstock
J Wellingtons
Five Guys
Epic Burger
Flub a dub chubs

Pizza
Pequod's
Art of Pizza
Giordano's
Pete's
Lou Malnati's

Sandwiches
Perry's
J P Graziano
Vinnie's Subs

Breakfast
Yolk
Lincoln Restaurant
Old Oak Tap
Toast
Wishbone

Beef/Dogs
Al's
Portillo's
Johnnie's
Hot Doug's

Tacos & Cajun
Big & Little's
Heaven on Seven
The little BYOB Mom 'n Pop Mexican place opposite Rosa's which did an OUTSTANDING burrito.

Bar Food
Paddy Long's
Sheffield's
Old Oak Tap

Comedy Value
Cheesecake Factory
PF Chang's
Corner Bakery
Burger King

Clearly, I won't be able to eat at all those places in just eight days, but damn me if I won't give it my very, very best shot.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
You can take Epic Burger off your list. Total pretender.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
Rootstock is awesome, but it's a small plates type place. So don't want to confuse it with a burger place..
I'd probably move this down on your list.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 09, 2011, 11:07:43 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2011, 09:23:41 AM

How had you heard of it?

I was bumming around on yelp.com, and that place is the highest rated (under "burgers", funnily enough) in Chicago, I think.

I've put together a list from the various Feedbag threads along with some input from various websites and it looks like this :

Burgers
Kuma's Corner
Rootstock
J Wellingtons
Five Guys
Epic Burger
Flub a dub chubs

Pizza
Pequod's
Art of Pizza
Giordano's
Pete's
Lou Malnati's

Sandwiches
Perry's
J P Graziano
Vinnie's Subs

Breakfast
Yolk
Lincoln Restaurant
Old Oak Tap
Toast
Wishbone

Beef/Dogs
Al's
Portillo's
Johnnie's
Hot Doug's

Tacos & Cajun
Big & Little's
Heaven on Seven
The little BYOB Mom 'n Pop Mexican place opposite Rosa's which did an OUTSTANDING burrito.

Bar Food
Paddy Long's
Sheffield's
Old Oak Tap

Comedy Value
Cheesecake Factory
PF Chang's
Corner Bakery
Burger King

Clearly, I won't be able to eat at all those places in just eight days, but damn me if I won't give it my very, very best shot.

Tacos AND Cajun? My food pyramid says those aren't the same thing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
I'd add Big Star to the taco list if I were you.  And you can sit outside and stare a hot muff the whole time.  and drink.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
Quote from: BH on May 09, 2011, 11:21:59 AM
Rootstock is awesome, but it's a small plates type place. So don't want to confuse it with a burger place..
I'd probably move this down on your list.

I tried the gnarliest cheese I've ever tasted at Rootstock:

http://meadowcreekdairy.com/wholesale/wholesale_materials/GraysonNotes.pdf

Spreading their whipped pork fat on some bread more than made up for it.

But Butthands is right: it's a small cheese-and-charcuterie plates place, not a big-assed-burger joint.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on May 09, 2011, 11:33:18 AM
I'd add Big Star to the taco list if I were you.  And you can sit outside and stare a hot muff the whole time.  and drink.

Bucktown is finally ambercrombie enough for Chad. Big Star has good food, but screw Big Star.
Pontiac when the punks/artists lived in bucktown was the real deal. I miss that place. Especially in the summer.