News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jamaican Food  ( 11,551 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jamaican Food
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 09, 2011, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 09, 2011, 11:07:43 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2011, 09:23:41 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 09, 2011, 08:25:30 AM
Quote from: Slaky on April 29, 2011, 01:20:18 PM
I don't know how Jamaican this place is but they have an island theme and played reggae so I'm going to make it count.

Had lunch and Big and Little's on the corner of Gunshot and Homicide. Pretty good tilapia taco, shrimp taco and a basket o' fries.

Hit this place up soon before their episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Backwards Upside Down Visors hits the Food Network. The proprietor was on Hell's Kitchen.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/1496456/restaurant/River-North/BIG-littles-Chicago

I already had plans to visit this place.  They just firmed up a little.

How had you heard of it?

FYI - I got the squid po boy last week and it was glorious.

I was bumming around on yelp.com, and that place is the highest rated (under "burgers", funnily enough) in Chicago, I think.

I've put together a list from the various Feedbag threads along with some input from various websites and it looks like this :

Burgers
Kuma's Corner
Rootstock
J Wellingtons
Five Guys
Epic Burger
Flub a dub chubs

Pizza
Pequod's
Art of Pizza
Giordano's
Pete's
Lou Malnati's

Sandwiches
Perry's
J P Graziano
Vinnie's Subs

Breakfast
Yolk
Lincoln Restaurant
Old Oak Tap
Toast
Wishbone

Beef/Dogs
Al's
Portillo's
Johnnie's
Hot Doug's

Tacos & Cajun
Big & Little's
Heaven on Seven
The little BYOB Mom 'n Pop Mexican place opposite Rosa's which did an OUTSTANDING burrito.

Bar Food
Paddy Long's
Sheffield's
Old Oak Tap

Comedy Value
Cheesecake Factory
PF Chang's
Corner Bakery
Burger King

Clearly, I won't be able to eat at all those places in just eight days, but damn me if I won't give it my very, very best shot.

Tacos AND Cajun? My food pyramid says those aren't the same thing.

Ahem.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
Quote from: BH on May 09, 2011, 11:44:26 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on May 09, 2011, 11:33:18 AM
I'd add Big Star to the taco list if I were you.  And you can sit outside and stare a hot muff the whole time.  and drink.

Bucktown is finally ambercrombie enough for Chad. Big Star has good food, but screw Big Star.
Pontiac when the punks/artists lived in bucktown was the real deal. I miss that place. Especially in the summer.

I dunno, BH.  Dubbs has done a pretty good job of selling it to me, I've got to say.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 09, 2011, 11:48:41 AM
I'd add Big Star to the taco list if I were you.  And you can sit outside and stare a hot muff the whole time.  and drink.

Bucktown is finally ambercrombie enough for Chad. Big Star has good food, but screw Big Star.
Pontiac when the punks/artists lived in bucktown was the real deal. I miss that place. Especially in the summer.

I dunno, BH.  Dubbs has done a pretty good job of selling it to me, I've got to say.

Out of all the place Chad hangs out, Big Star would probably be my favorite. It still has an incredible outdoor
patio for people watching. I just wish you weren't people watching girls in workout clothes pushing baby strollers.

No sushi/asian places on your list? Down the way from Big Star is Mirai, unreal sushi there.
Division is a better place to barhop than bucktown. Check out happy village and/or innertown pub
if you're in the area.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

you might want to squeeze in a flight of bacon while you're here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
Quote from: BH on May 09, 2011, 12:03:19 PM

Out of all the place Chad hangs out, Big Star would probably be my favorite. It still has an incredible outdoor
patio for people watching. I just wish you weren't people watching girls in workout clothes pushing baby strollers.

No sushi/asian places on your list? Down the way from Big Star is Mirai, unreal sushi there.
Division is a better place to barhop than bucktown. Check out happy village and/or innertown pub
if you're in the area.

I'm not being funny but I'm not coming to Chicago to eat Sushi.  I live at the seaside anyway, and what's more I've eaten sushi at four o'clock in the morning at Tokyo fish market.  Fresher and more authentic sushi doesn't exist.  As for other Asian food, you can get good Thai, Chinese, Malaysian or Indonesian anywhere.

I'm coming to America for what you guys do best - and those are the things that are on my list.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 09, 2011, 12:11:10 PM

if you're in the area.

I'm not being funny but I'm not coming to Chicago to eat Sushi.  I live at the seaside anyway, and what's more I've eaten sushi at four o'clock in the morning at Tokyo fish market.  Fresher and more authentic sushi doesn't exist.  As for other Asian food, you can get good Thai, Chinese, Malaysian or Indonesian anywhere.

I'm coming to America for what you guys do best - and those are the things that are on my list.

That's fair. Some good barbeque places in town too.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »

if you're in the area.

Big Star fucking rules.  People watching?  Fuck off.  3 dollar pork belly taco.  End of convo.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 09, 2011, 01:10:22 PM

if you're in the area.

Big Star fucking rules.  People watching?  Fuck off.  3 dollar pork belly taco.  End of convo.

Convo? Really? I can see why you love it there.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
Quote from: BH on May 09, 2011, 01:53:36 PM

if you're in the area.

I'm not being funny but I'm not coming to Chicago to eat Sushi.  I live at the seaside anyway, and what's more I've eaten sushi at four o'clock in the morning at Tokyo fish market.  Fresher and more authentic sushi doesn't exist.  As for other Asian food, you can get good Thai, Chinese, Malaysian or Indonesian anywhere.

Big Star fucking rules.  People watching?  Fuck off.  3 dollar pork belly taco.  End of convo.1

Convo? Really? I can see why you love it there.

1. Shoutbox thing.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »

if you're in the area.

I can't even eat at all the places in Bucktown let alone the entire city.

Chicago is awesome.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »

if you're in the area.

This, and the 3$ Bourbon shots to go with them.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2011, 11:13:03 AM
You can take Epic Burger off your list. Total pretender.

You might want to replace it with That's-A-Burger, though. But I was just looking to express my uneasiness over whelk-eating.

[Edit.--And, really, failing to feed Tonk Harold's chicken would be a shame.]

[Edit 2.--I mean, really. Even though I don't believe in a Harold's with seating.]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on May 09, 2011, 05:29:37 PM

if you're in the area.

Wait...Pontiac is gone?!!?

Sad.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 01:53:51 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 09, 2011, 06:13:24 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2011, 11:13:03 AM
You can take Epic Burger off your list. Total pretender.

You might want to replace it with That's-A-Burger, though. But I was just looking to express my uneasiness over whelk-eating.

[Edit.--And, really, failing to feed Tonk Harold's chicken would be a shame.]

[Edit 2.--I mean, really. Even though I don't believe in a Harold's with seating.]

I fucking love whelks.  Back in my bachelor days when I used to go down the Turk's Head in Staines to play darts and drink until I fell over, there was a bloke who came round every evening with a tray of cockles, mussels, whelks and so on.  Whelks with white pepper hit the spot, every time.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:32 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 09, 2011, 11:38:40 PM
Quote from: thehawk on May 09, 2011, 05:29:37 PM

if you're in the area.

Wait...Pontiac is gone?!!?

Sad.

It's not sad because a faux honky tonk place selling gourmet tacos (they even sell them through a cute walk up window!!) replaced the once great dive bar.  Let's be honest, the Pontiac needed some sprucing up, HGTV style. Grab your chinos and head down there. Oleg and Chad will save you a seat.