News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Infinite Jest  ( 27,180 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Infinite Jest
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 01, 2012, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 01, 2012, 05:15:20 PM
Quote from: R-V on May 01, 2012, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 27, 2012, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: R-V on April 27, 2012, 02:55:29 PM
DPD. Any of you chuckleheads read The Corrections? The first Franzen I've read, enjoyed it nearly as much as Wallace's stuff. Alfred Lambert was a hilariously miserable cocksucker.

I read it awhile back and liked it because it was depressing as hell.

Boourns.

QuoteDespite having the selling points of a stellar cast and a bestselling novel, HBO is not moving forward with "The Corrections."

Pay cabler has decided the pilot, which was shot in February, won't become a series. Based on the Jonathan Franzen book, HBO's version of "The Corrections" was adapted and directed by Noah Baumbach, who was exec producing with Franzen and Scott Rudin.

"The Corrections" revolves around the troubles of a Midwestern couple and their three adult children as they trace their lives from the mid-20th century to "one last Christmas" together near the turn of the millennium.

The parents were played by Chris Cooper and Dianne Wiest while Ewan McGregor and Maggie Gyllenhaal were cast as the couple's adult children.

Good, I fucking hate Chris Cooper.

I think my favorite part of the internet is when people I don't know in real life hate random things I assumed were unhateable for reasons I totally don't understand.

Megadittos, Rush.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
So it's settled, we're all butthurt HBO isn't making The Corrections because Maggie Gyllenhall is the finest looking lady in Pangaea.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
DPD. Any of you chuckleheads read The Corrections? The first Franzen I've read, enjoyed it nearly as much as Wallace's stuff. Alfred Lambert was a hilariously miserable cocksucker.

Boourns.

QuoteDespite having the selling points of a stellar cast and a bestselling novel, HBO is not moving forward with "The Corrections."

Pay cabler has decided the pilot, which was shot in February, won't become a series. Based on the Jonathan Franzen book, HBO's version of "The Corrections" was adapted and directed by Noah Baumbach, who was exec producing with Franzen and Scott Rudin.

"The Corrections" revolves around the troubles of a Midwestern couple and their three adult children as they trace their lives from the mid-20th century to "one last Christmas" together near the turn of the millennium.

The parents were played by Chris Cooper and Dianne Wiest while Ewan McGregor and Maggie Gyllenhaal were cast as the couple's adult children.

I think my favorite part of the internet is when people I don't know in real life hate random things I assumed were unhateable for reasons I totally don't understand.

I thought he was creepy and gross in Adaptation. That was enough for me.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 02, 2012, 08:57:48 AM

Boourns.

I thought he was creepy and gross in Adaptation. That was enough for me.

A Nicholas Cage movie where someone ELSE comes off as noticeably creepy and gross? I call bullshit.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »

Boourns.

Pretty confident that you're the only one.  Chris Cooper?  Really?  I'd watch him recite a speech for an insurance seminar.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 02, 2012, 10:18:46 AM

Boourns.

Pretty confident that you're the only one.  Chris Cooper?  Really?  I'd watch him recite a speech for an insurance seminar.

Let's not go nuts here.

I mean, I'm not one to irrationally Slakhate Chris Cooper either. But the guy's no Charles Durning.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 02, 2012, 11:05:52 AM

Boourns.

Pretty confident that you're the only one.  Chris Cooper?  Really?  I'd watch him recite a speech for an insurance seminar.

Let's not go nuts here.

I mean, I'm not one to irrationally Slakhate Chris Cooper either. But the guy's no Charles Durning.

I didn't know the guy had his own fucking fan club.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 02, 2012, 11:37:28 AM

Boourns.

Let's not go nuts here.

No offense, man. But what you don't know about Chris Cooper could fill a book.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 02, 2012, 11:37:28 AM

Boourns.

Let's not go nuts here.

Oh, you'd love the fuck out of him if he were on "Glee".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »

Boourns.

Variety needs to die in a fire and have every remnant of their stylebook extirpated.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 03, 2012, 09:03:44 PM

Boourns.

Variety needs to die in a fire and have every remnant of their stylebook extirpated.

Then who will report the various goings on and trollings in the CHUD forums?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »
So Orrin's death was weird huh? Did he die? Crazy, right?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 04, 2012, 08:33:32 AM
So Orrin's death was weird huh? Did he die? Crazy, right?

I have no idea anymore.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
I think this serves as the de facto DFW thread as well.

Saw a tweet recommending this read, from 1996 Esquire. 

David Foster Wallace on the Costs of Becoming a Professional Tennis Player
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 04, 2014, 03:57:43 PM
I think this serves as the de facto DFW thread as well.

Saw a tweet recommending this read, from 1996 Esquire. 

David Foster Wallace on the Costs of Becoming a Professional Tennis Player

I think I'm the only tennis player/fan on this board, but DFW's tennis pieces were amazing. His piece on Roger Federer is still probably the best sports piece I've ever read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all