News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fine Liquor  ( 80,777 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Fine Liquor
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:09:04 AM »
Frankly, I don't drink much beer. I do, however, consume vast quantities of whiskey and rum and I know many of you do as well. As a college student with a budget I usually can't go much higher than $25 dollars a bottle and for that price range Jameson, Johnny Walker Red, and Jim Beam are the trio that I turn to most when the working day is done. I only drink Jack Daniels when I intend to punish myself like the flagellants of old. As far as rum goes, Bort and I were just extolling the virtues of Sailor Jerry in the shoutbox the other day. I realize most of you guys are a bit more sophisticated (and expensive) with your hard liquor choices, and I know Tonk will recommend a good single malt scotch, but what are some other excellent whiskey, rums, or gins (vodka is for Chads and suicidal Russian authors and tequila is the work of the devil)?

I recommend Knob Creek for anyone looking for a strong, smooth, higher-end bourbon, and The Glenlivet is the only single malt scotch I've had and I was not disappointed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fine Liquor
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »
RE: Scotch

I'm a huge fan of Islay malts like Laphroiag, but it's definitely an acquired taste. Talisker and Lagavulin are also nice.

As far as smooth-tasting Speyside single malts that aren't very expensive, I'm partial to Aberlour.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
Lynchburg Lemonade is my usual go-to whiskey, but Ginger Splash is really starting to grow on me.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16:03 AM »
Jack Daniels, you fancy Dans.

But I'm open to all kinds of fun. This thread's gonna ROOOL
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 12, 2010, 09:16:03 AM

George Dickel, you asshurt hilljack!

Nah, JD has its place.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 12, 2010, 09:17:10 AM

Nah, JD has its place.

And that place is my liver.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 12, 2010, 09:18:48 AM

Nah, JD has its place.

I remember a night my freshman year where my roommate and I'd saved up the money to buy a bottle of Knob Creek to split that weekend. We had trouble finding someone of age to go buy it for us, however. By the time we found someone, the good liquor stores were closed, so we sucked it up and told the guy to grab some Jack Daniels at CVS. They were out. We ended up drinking Kessler. It was the worst case of results vs. expectations I'd ever had in my life. I'm not sure what my point is. Jack Daniels is awful, awful stuff.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 09:27:12 AM »
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2010, 09:22:50 AM

Nah, JD has its place.

I remember a night my freshman year where my roommate and I'd saved up the money to buy a bottle of Knob Creek to split that weekend. We had trouble finding someone of age to go buy it for us, however. By the time we found someone, the good liquor stores were closed, so we sucked it up and told the guy to grab some Jack Daniels at CVS. They were out. We ended up drinking Kessler. It was the worst case of results vs. expectations I'd ever had in my life. I'm not sure what my point is. Jack Daniels is awful, awful stuff.

Wow, that is a bad case of results vs. expectations. My only comparison was the time a buddy and I were trying to score some blotter, but the dealer never showed up at the bar, so we ended up splitting 6 of budweiser and some Evan Williams Green Label.

I've been sort of delving into anejo tequila lately. I know very little about it, though I enjoy Casa Noble. Anyone got any recommendations?

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 12, 2010, 09:28:20 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2010, 09:22:50 AM

Nah, JD has its place.

Wow, that is a bad case of results vs. expectations. My only comparison was the time a buddy and I were trying to score some blotter, but the dealer never showed up at the bar, so we ended up splitting 6 of budweiser and some Evan Williams Green Label.

I've been sort of delving into anejo tequila lately. I know very little about it, though I enjoy Casa Noble. Anyone got any recommendations.

Ever taken blotter that wasn't? Oh, how...

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on August 12, 2010, 09:27:12 AM

Maker's Mark is an excellent whiskey. Have you ever had one of their cigars? Tastes just like the whiskey. I had one while drinking the whiskey and it was surreal.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
I think somebody who knows something needs to get in here and save us from our running Osco commercial. Or we should start talking about acid again.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 12, 2010, 09:36:49 AM
I think somebody who knows something needs to get in here and save us from our running Osco commercial. Or we should start talking about acid again.

Gil recommended Woodford Reserve in the shoutbox yesterday. That looks like a classy bourbon. I didn't feel like ponying up the 36 bucks last night, so I bought a bottle of Sailor for 14.00. But I will try it at some point. It just Looks like a fine bourbon.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »
Woodford Reserve is fucking fantastic. It's just delicious. It heals the sick.

A recent discovery of mine is that sipping a fine scotch, in this case Nectar D'Or, with a big cigar on one's rooftop deck is pretty much unbeatable. Cigars and scotch go together like Fork and fagatronics.

Like Jon, I also enjoy the peaty, islay scotch from time to time. Laphroaig will make you into a man post-haste.

As for vodkas, it's different, but Zubrowka vodka from the Motherland is one of my favorites. Really smooth and has a unique taste due to the blade of grass in there. I always have a bottle in the freezer.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »
Rum: Appleton Reserve, Mount Gay (especially if you can get some that is actually bottled in Barbados), and I agree on the Sailor Jerry.

Gin: I know Tonker likes Plymouth as do I but I prefer Tanqueray (the regular London Dry not Tanqueray 10). Bombay tastes like soap.

Tequila: Herradura Blanco. Hmmm... agave.

Vodka: Sorry SKO but you haven't lived until you've had a perfectly made Grey Goose martini. Up with just the thinnest layer of ice and blue cheese stuffed olives.

Whiskey: Can't... do... it. It doesn't matter what kind, all of it brings me back to puking into an evergreen hedge in 1977.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen