News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fine Liquor  ( 80,837 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fine Liquor
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 13, 2010, 04:14:42 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 12, 2010, 03:31:49 PM
Quote from: Tonker on September 12, 2010, 11:59:13 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2010, 11:08:40 PM
In order to toast my recently deceased friend, a friend of ours brought us a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label provided by his very wealthy father. It was the greatest beverage I've ever had. I only wish it came under better circumstances. Also, I met THE Gil Gunderson and he provided me with a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon, and it's everything he said it would be.

I'm sure Johnny Walker Blue Label is good, but nonetheless I'd balk at paying a couple of hundred bucks for a bottle of blended whisky.  I just can't see how it can be as good as a malt.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Do you drink malts, too, Gil?  Because I really need the opinion of somebody who knows the difference...

I do indeed.  And it's still worth it.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »
How do you guys drink your single malt? Neat? With a little water?

Or maybe on the rocks?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »
Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2010, 10:44:44 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

I drink the good stuff more-or-less neat, but with a few drops of water. It seems to help open up the flavor.

If it's lower down the scotch food chain, I'll have it on the rocks.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

I drink the good stuff more-or-less neat, but with a few drops of water. It seems to help open up the flavor.

I'd heard that adding water isn't a bush league move by any means. I'm no connoisseur but I recently had some Nectar D'Or with a cigar and it was fucking oustanding. Splash of water in the scotch. You could really taste the flavors once the water was added.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 13, 2010, 11:06:54 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

I'd heard that adding water isn't a bush league move by any means. I'm no connoisseur but I recently had some Nectar D'Or with a cigar and it was fucking oustanding. Splash of water in the scotch. You could really taste the flavors once the water was added.

A small splash in Laphroig and it becomes ridiculously complex, even more so than without the water.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 11:09:44 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

A small splash in Laphroig and it becomes ridiculously complex, even more so than without the water.

That's what I thought about adding a little water. I haven't explored single malts nearly as much as I want to yet, but I'll take a different approach depending on what I'm drinking and when I'm drinking it. If it's after dinner and I'm chilled out and relaxing I'll drink it with a splash of water. If I'm at a bar and I'm not in the mood for beer I'll sometimes get it on the rocks, but only with something commonplace like Glenlivet.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2010, 11:22:44 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

That's what I thought about adding a little water. I haven't explored single malts nearly as much as I want to yet, but I'll take a different approach depending on what I'm drinking and when I'm drinking it. If it's after dinner and I'm chilled out and relaxing I'll drink it with a splash of water. If I'm at a bar and I'm not in the mood for beer I'll sometimes get it on the rocks, but only with something commonplace like Glenlivet.

Yeah, that's pretty much my game plan.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 11:31:10 AM
Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2010, 11:22:44 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

Yeah, that's pretty much my game plan.

Neat:
Any good single malt.
A fine bourbon like Woodford Reserve, 1792, or Knob Creek
Johnny Walker Black or above

On the rocks:
Jameson
Jim Beam

Mixed with something to mask the god awful taste of swill:
Jack Daniels
Evan Williams
Seagrams
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
I would move Seagrams to the category of "Only use to clean toilets and polish silverware."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 01:27:49 PM
I would move Seagrams to the category of "Only use to clean toilets and polish silverware."

I was under 21 once. And also poor. And my friend's parents had a liquor cabinet full of it. O, what one must do to engage in the sweet, mystifying properties of intoxication.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »

like Bar Keepers Friend?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 13, 2010, 01:29:49 PM

like Bar Keepers Friend?

Certainly isn't my friend.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »

Or maybe on the rocks?

Sitting down, between the legs.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

Or maybe on the rocks?

I'm with Slak - more often than not, a drop or two of room-temperature water opens up a good malt.  It's really a question of taste, but having said that, if you're drinking cask-strength malt (55-60% ABV) you'd be an idiot not to spread it out a little.  Never ice, though - for the same reasons as you never shake a martini.  It just dilutes the booze too much.

As for cooking whisky, you can do to that what you will.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 14, 2010, 09:38:26 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

I'm with Slak - more often than not, a drop or two of room-temperature water opens up a good malt.  It's really a question of taste, but having said that, if you're drinking cask-strength malt (55-60% ABV) you'd be an idiot not to spread it out a little.  Never ice, though - for the same reasons as you never shake a martini.  It just dilutes the booze too much.

As for cooking whisky, you can do to that what you will.

Thought I was in way over my head in this thread. That said, you ever had the Nectar d'Or? My father in law brought it to me from Scotland, not that you can't get it in the states. Pretty tasty.