News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fine Liquor  ( 80,777 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fine Liquor
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2010, 02:40:04 AM »
Quote from: powen01 on December 10, 2010, 04:30:08 PM
Quote from: theoneandonlyjim on December 10, 2010, 02:08:00 PM
Anyone checked out/ordered from this place? My dad and I picked some bourbon samples to try over New Year's.  Shipping is all screwed up in the UK, though, and it could take a while to get here.

Are you trying to bankrupt me, you limey bastard?

Off I go to buy a bottle of Clynelish for a mate...   The cheaper stuff, not this nectar of the Gods.

Powen, although that is indubitably a magnificent whisky, it's getting away from what I (and I suspect, you) love about Clynelish - the smell and taste of the sea.  The whisky in that link is a far more traditional Highland, I think - smoky, peaty and "hospital-y".  Your mate is going to appreciate the cheapo version just as much, if not more.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 11, 2010, 02:40:04 AM
Quote from: powen01 on December 10, 2010, 04:30:08 PM
Quote from: theoneandonlyjim on December 10, 2010, 02:08:00 PM
Anyone checked out/ordered from this place? My dad and I picked some bourbon samples to try over New Year's.  Shipping is all screwed up in the UK, though, and it could take a while to get here.

Are you trying to bankrupt me, you limey bastard?

Off I go to buy a bottle of Clynelish for a mate...   The cheaper stuff, not this nectar of the Gods.

Powen, although that is indubitably a magnificent whisky, it's getting away from what I (and I suspect, you) love about Clynelish - the smell and taste of the sea.  The whisky in that link is a far more traditional Highland, I think - smoky, peaty and "hospital-y".  Your mate is going to appreciate the cheapo version just as much, if not more.

That's all the bastard is getting too; he set me up with my ex-girlfriend.  He doesn't deserve the good stuff. 

And he's still not into the smoky, peaty tastes yet; I'm working him up to it.  Ha.  I haven't even bought myself a bottle of Clynelish yet; this way, I can drink his bottle when I go over to see him and complain about my ex.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »
Quote from: flannj on December 10, 2010, 07:18:08 PM
Quote from: Shooter on December 10, 2010, 06:39:39 PM

$22 was about two weeks' worth of drinking for me in college. A couple of cases if $4.99/case Old Milwaukee returnables and a few $2-for-a-cup parties (also likely Old Mil, possibly Milwaukee's Best).

Kudos to you for not having to drink copious amounts of shitty beer.

We drank this.

$4.99 for a case of 16oz. returnables. Christ, what swill.

It's remarkable that I have any digestive system left.

Wait... in excess of 3.2% but less than 7% alcohol?   Could they really not narrow that down a little more?  How on Earth are you supposed to know how many pints you can neck, and still drive?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2010, 05:50:34 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 11, 2010, 11:30:23 AM
Wait... in excess of 3.2% but less than 7% alcohol?   Could they really not narrow that down a little more?  How on Earth are you supposed to know how many pints you can neck, and still drive?

The point is knowing which states you're not in.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2010, 06:36:59 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 11, 2010, 05:50:34 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 11, 2010, 11:30:23 AM

The point is knowing which states you're not in.

The state I'm in by the time this becomes an issue is normally "terrible".

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
DPD...

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

http://smws.com/

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2010/11/04/tasting-blind-with-the-scotch-malt-whisky-society/

QuoteThe SMWS, as it's handily abbreviated, doesn't just go get bottles off the shelf and send them to you each month, it picks individual casks and bottles its own single malt whiskys sourced from major (and minor) Scotland distilleries.

And it doesn't tell you what they are.

Bottled at cask strength, these are single cask whiskys, available in very limited quantities (typically under 100 bottles) at prices ranging from $85 and up. Ages can range from 8 to 29 years, and these whiskys come from all over Scotland. In other words: If you buy a whisky from the SMWS, you won't find that exact same whisky from anyone else.

I'm a little torn on the "blind" identity system – if I'm drinking Macallan, I want to know it's Macallan – which gives every bottle a code number and a cute name, but lacks the distillery's ID. But considering the quality of these spirits, based on the two I reviewed below, I'm willing to let it slide. Subcultures exist devoted to figuring out what's really inside, so dig around if you're curious.

Membership is $229, which gets you access to exclusive events like the Whisky Extravaganza, four 100ml bottles of current offerings (pictured below), and a subscription to the society's magazine – plus, of course, the right to buy whisky from them. Annual dues after the first year drop to $60.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 28, 2010, 01:22:19 PM
DPD...

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2010/11/04/tasting-blind-with-the-scotch-malt-whisky-society/

QuoteThe SMWS, as it's handily abbreviated, doesn't just go get bottles off the shelf and send them to you each month, it picks individual casks and bottles its own single malt whiskys sourced from major (and minor) Scotland distilleries.

Bottled at cask strength, these are single cask whiskys, available in very limited quantities (typically under 100 bottles) at prices ranging from $85 and up. Ages can range from 8 to 29 years, and these whiskys come from all over Scotland. In other words: If you buy a whisky from the SMWS, you won't find that exact same whisky from anyone else.

I'm a little torn on the "blind" identity system – if I'm drinking Macallan, I want to know it's Macallan – which gives every bottle a code number and a cute name, but lacks the distillery's ID. But considering the quality of these spirits, based on the two I reviewed below, I'm willing to let it slide. Subcultures exist devoted to figuring out what's really inside, so dig around if you're curious.

Membership is $229, which gets you access to exclusive events like the Whisky Extravaganza, four 100ml bottles of current offerings (pictured below), and a subscription to the society's magazine – plus, of course, the right to buy whisky from them. Annual dues after the first year drop to $60.

...Go on...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 28, 2010, 01:34:57 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 28, 2010, 01:22:19 PM
DPD...

...Go on...

Okay.

Related...

http://www.singlemaltextravaganza.com/

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
Fine liquor, indeed.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
Had a glass of this tonight. Mighty nice.

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:07 AM »

Tonight at Cityscape, Dewar's is having a tasting event, starting at 5:30.

Fine liquor? Can't say. But it sounds like free liquor.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 17, 2011, 07:22:07 AM

Free liquor is the finest liquor of all.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 17, 2011, 07:22:07 AM

I hope someone texted Gordon Wittenmyer!