News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Russian Revolution  ( 2,685 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Russian Revolution
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »
Can any of you history faggots (or anybody else for that matter) recommend a good history of the Russian Revolution?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Russian Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 15, 2010, 11:19:05 PM
Can any of you history faggots (or anybody else for that matter) recommend a good history of the Russian Revolution?

Nine Days that Shook the World by John Reed is the best primary source for an American, I'd also recommend The Russian Revolution by Alan Moorehead. A bit dated, but still my favorite of the single volume histories. Trotsky's history of the revolution is awesome solely for the thinly veiled malice he has toward...everyone. Also, the Last Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky isn't solely about the Revolution, but it's an excellent book with plenty of excerpts from Nicholas II's diary.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »

Intrepid Reader:   TDubbs

Why would you read?

About stuff? 

That happened?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

The Soviet Experiment by Ronald Suny.  It's a great comprehensive history from the Revolution onwards.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:35:39 AM »

My history book from high school.  Get a life.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 15, 2010, 11:33:01 PM

Nine Days that Shook the World by John Reed is the best primary source for an American, I'd also recommend The Russian Revolution by Alan Moorehead. A bit dated, but still my favorite of the single volume histories. Trotsky's history of the revolution is awesome solely for the thinly veiled malice he has toward...everyone. Also, the Last Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky isn't solely about the Revolution, but it's an excellent book with plenty of excerpts from Nicholas II's diary.

1.  You're a day off.
2.  Did SKO really recommend a book by the only American (non-Soviet?) buried in the Kremlin?
3.  I keep forgetting about this book.  In needs to get on my reading list.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 16, 2010, 12:26:54 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 15, 2010, 11:33:01 PM

1.  You're a day off.
2.  Did SKO really recommend a book by the only American (non-Soviet?) buried in the Kremlin?
3.  I keep forgetting about this book.  In needs to get on my reading list.

I recommended Trotsky too. I didn't say "read it and adopt his political views" but a primary source is a primary source, my gnome friend, and Ten Days is a good read. You're not going to find another easily accessible first-person account with that much detail, especially not in English.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »
In Russia, Revolution reads you.