News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The End of Baseball  ( 1,636 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The End of Baseball
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm about a third of the way through this and enjoying the hell out of it. Historical fiction that has Bill Veeck buying the Philadelphia A's in 1943 and signing Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson and the best of the Negro Leaguers to run roughshod over MLB. I was thinking that someone here recommended this to me but there doesn't seem to be a thread on it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The End of Baseball
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 07, 2011, 11:39:45 AM
I'm about a third of the way through this and enjoying the hell out of it. Historical fiction that has Bill Veeck buying the Philadelphia A's in 1943 and signing Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson and the best of the Negro Leaguers to run roughshod over MLB. I was thinking that someone here recommended this to me but there doesn't seem to be a thread on it.

Veeck was going to buy the Phillies, and was blocked by Ford Frick, who later tried hitching onto Jackie Robinson. But that was his plan.

It's in "Veeck-As In Wreck". Which is required baseball reading.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The End of Baseball
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 07, 2011, 11:53:10 AM
Quote from: R-V on April 07, 2011, 11:39:45 AM

Veeck was going to buy the Phillies, and was blocked by Ford Frick, who later tried hitching onto Jackie Robinson. But that was his plan.

It's in "Veeck-As In Wreck". Which is required baseball reading.

The stories of a teenage Veeck Jr. helping prepare the tub of ice for a hungover Hack Wilson to sit in after a rough night out are worth it alone.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs