News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: THIS. IS. THE YEAR!!!!!!  ( 5,181 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: THIS. IS. THE YEAR!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 03, 2010, 08:40:31 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2010, 08:34:26 AM
Christ on a triscuit. I haven't seen maudlin horseshit like this since I traveled into the future and read Huey's Brett Favre obituary.

QuoteRon Santo is entering a new league, the highest level of all. And there he will never again be betrayed by his passion, his perseverance, his enormous love of life, the joy he found amid more pain and heartache than any dozen men should have to endure.

Bladder cancer reportedly claimed the Cubs' greatest cheerleader, who had battled diabetes for most of his life. He slipped into a coma on Wednesday and died Thursday in Arizona. He was 70, going on 17.

If these things could be measured like runs crossing the plate, the finally tally for Santo would be something like this: Delight 5,410, Bitterness 0.

On the plus/minus scale of Phil Rogers awfulness, I give this a +7.

Bitterness 0??? Bitterness 0? He put 1969, any philosophical differences with Leo Durocher, his problems with the Wrigleys, his one long year with the White Sox, and his inability to get in the Hall of Fame aside easily. He took all of that in stride.

Hey, he let the burning toupee thing go pretty quickly.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 03, 2010, 08:40:31 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2010, 08:34:26 AM
Christ on a triscuit. I haven't seen maudlin horseshit like this since I traveled into the future and read Huey's Brett Favre obituary.

QuoteRon Santo is entering a new league, the highest level of all. And there he will never again be betrayed by his passion, his perseverance, his enormous love of life, the joy he found amid more pain and heartache than any dozen men should have to endure.

Bladder cancer reportedly claimed the Cubs' greatest cheerleader, who had battled diabetes for most of his life. He slipped into a coma on Wednesday and died Thursday in Arizona. He was 70, going on 17.

If these things could be measured like runs crossing the plate, the finally tally for Santo would be something like this: Delight 5,410, Bitterness 0.

On the plus/minus scale of Phil Rogers awfulness, I give this a +7.

Bitterness 0??? Bitterness 0? He put 1969, any philosophical differences with Leo Durocher, his problems with the Wrigleys, his one long year with the White Sox, and his inability to get in the Hall of Fame aside easily. He took all of that in stride.

Sorry, I should have quoted the next line.

Quote from: PhildoWell, OK, maybe Bitterness 1.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »
Died from bladder cancer?

Intrepid Reader: Ted Stryker
What a pisser!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
 His death makes me sad.  Although his health issues during the last ten years diminished the quality of his life, he made the best of  it and was an example for us.  I admired him for that even more than I admired him as a ballplayer.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 03, 2010, 09:25:04 AM
His death makes me sad.  Although his health issues during the last ten years diminished the quality of his life, he made the best of  it and was an example for us.  I admired him for that even more than I admired him as a ballplayer.

Thank you for THI. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 03, 2010, 09:35:57 AM

Thank you for THI. 

Between Stew's post and Dolan's excellent tribute I'm in real danger of experiencing actual human emotion.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM

Thank you for THI. 

Between Stew's post and Dolan's excellent tribute I'm in real danger of experiencing actual human emotion.

Oh, Jeez.  the dude had no legs and was 70.  He should have died years ago.  He's lucky.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM

Thank you for THI. 

I'm sure you'll tamp that down.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »

While Santo, I'm sure, was a great person, to me he encapsulates so much that is wrong with this franchise, from the rampant homerism and subsequent lack of critical thought of the team, to his embodiment of all things KUBBIEZ, to his style appeal more than his substantive offerings.  He's a prime example of a rising trend in our society: the inability for cultural icons to understand that their time has come and gone and that they need to exit the stage gracefully.

That said, I'm sad the man is dead.

However, brace yourself for the inevitable: the oncoming insufferable douchiness of Cubdom, embodied in its prophet, Al Yellon.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 03, 2010, 10:15:57 AM

While Santo, I'm sure, was a great person, to me he encapsulates so much that is wrong with this franchise, from the rampant homerism and subsequent lack of critical thought of the team, to his embodiment of all things KUBBIEZ, to his style appeal more than his substantive offerings.  He's a prime example of a rising trend in our society: the inability for cultural icons to understand that their time has come and gone and that they need to exit the stage gracefully.

However, brace yourself for the inevitable: the oncoming insufferable douchiness of Cubdom, embodied in its prophet Profit, Al Yellon.

$20 t-shirt'd.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 10:24:52 AM »
However, brace yourself for the inevitable: the oncoming insufferable douchiness of Cubdom, embodied in its prophet, Al Yellon.

His previous post was headlined, "Cubs Wrigley Financing Proposal Dead"

Poor taste, old man.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »

The thing with Santo was, his homerism was genuine. If the Cubs had fired him, he would have just gone home and waited to die. He wouldn't have bothered going to the Sox, or relocated for another broadcasting gig. He was a Cub through and through, for better or worse.

It is the polar opposite to someone like Harrelson, who should be throat punched with regularity.

I expect something heartfelt from Yellon, in which Santo's death somehow becomes all about Al.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 03, 2010, 10:26:30 AM
I expect something heartfelt from Yellon, in which Santo's death somehow becomes all about Al.

Intrepid Reader: Gilgamesh

What's wrong with that?  That's what Data realized when Tasha died (sniff).

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
I guess he couldn't outrun death.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 10:43:07 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 03, 2010, 08:30:40 AM
Well this is a hell of a way to start the day.

I mean, now it seems that (barring a December game-changer) Huey's finally taking the prize.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tEvra8aPSTDmrRGJT9-vybQ&single=true&gid=3&output=html
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tEvra8aPSTDmrRGJT9-vybQ&single=true&gid=5&output=html

This could wind up being literally the worst thing to happen all year.

Two hours later and Chuck's posts are already making me reconsider this.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.